Profile for Saucy Jack > Reviews

English Folk - Scarborough Fair
Offered by International Marketplace
Price: 6.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Nowt as queer as, 31 July 2014
I was about to spend a fortune on a Decameron Best Of when I saw the track I really wanted, 'Parade', (what a record by the way!) was on disc three of this superb compilation which is literally going for buttons. I got mine for just over a pound. If you look hard at the track listing you will see gold everywhere. I managed to grab the Irish and Scottish ones as well before they got too pricey. Amazing stuff from Sanctuary yet again.

I Like It Vol. 1 (Mixed By Hell/Kruder/Reinboth/Thonnessen)
I Like It Vol. 1 (Mixed By Hell/Kruder/Reinboth/Thonnessen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Me Too, 20 July 2014
Fab Eurotrashy compilation which includes a 10 minute + version of Arthur Russell's wonderous In The Light Of The Miracle. Got mine for 1p!

Here Come The Nice
Here Come The Nice

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Going Back To Be Young, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Here Come The Nice (Audio CD)
You can always get this box set a lot cheaper on the auction site. I had a pickwick LP of The Nice as a kid with all the hits on it. I love British psychedelia and Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack is my Whiter Shade Of Pale. What a fantastic record! One of those that stops you in your tracks. It was keyboards not guitars (Jimi withstanding) that made the psychedelic sound and Keith Emerson was right up there with Richard Wright. He just needed a Roger Waters or a Dave Gilmour to keep him in check! I love the way the notes drip like a Dali clock on Cry of Eugene and the way he paints the sun's rays on Dawn. Wonderous stuff that is possibly overlooked because of future ELP excesses.

Burnistoun - Series 1-3 Boxset [DVD]
Burnistoun - Series 1-3 Boxset [DVD]
Dvd ~ Iain Connell
Price: 23.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Squirrel in a bunnet, 1 April 2014
By Series 3 these two were definitely onto something. A recurring theme is the innate shyness/self consciousness of Scottish men which produces the kind of housebound legend that is Jolly Boy John. Tears streaming down my face funny. Other highlights for me include; the drunk who destroys the Wallace & Grommit model, the quality polis maceing one another and the remote controlled ice cream man. Magic. It might not be all great but the best bits are memorable.

Farewell to Lough Neaghe
Farewell to Lough Neaghe
Price: 14.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead On, 1 April 2014
There's only been one other recording of harp music that ever grabbed me, Henrik Boye's version of the Chaconne on an old 10 inch. That was until I bought this for a few euros in Paris. What works is her use of different period instruments. It keeps this listener interested. She's also worked hard with her material and transcriptions. Ain't no Londonderry Air to be found here! The result is a delight. If you like me, think the greatest music ever recorded is Meic Stevens' Rain In The Leaves EP then you will love this.

Just Friends [DVD]
Just Friends [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 3.77

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't want to be myself, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Just Friends [DVD] (DVD)
My daughter nagged me to death to watch this movie and I'm so glad she did. I howled with laughter from beginning to end just like she knew I would. It gets you right from the outset. The writing is intelligent and the acting (particularly Ryan Reynolds) is outstanding. So many good bits but the Ice Hockey game, the stun gun, the falling Santa and 'What're you thinking?' are unforgettable cinematic moments. I even used to do the stringy gob thing on my little brother too! Infinitely more than a chick flick, this is a movie about self fulfillment. Just great.

New Wave of British Metal '79 Revisited
New Wave of British Metal '79 Revisited
Offered by Sverigerules
Price: 79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars AND IT STRUCK ME..., 23 Dec 2013
Ah the St. Albans Civic and metal mayhem, seems slightly incongruous now but getting a ride in an ice cream van (3 or 4 of us standing)from Harps along the old A6 to see Sledgehammer put me in the Land of the Grey and Pink. This double CD has two must haves for anybody who used to love poncing about the suburbs in denim and leather (and smelly Kaftans from Hendon). Jaguar's Back Street Woman and Trespass' One Of These Days are pretty amazing records. Samson had a drummer called Thundersticks who wore a mask similar to the old wrestler Kendo Nagasaki. Inbetween numbers he would get off his seat to rattle the bars of his cage and growl. Very silly. I remember Bruce Bruce wore a pair of white jeans with a cigarette burn next to his fly, needless to say we all did the same. The boys from Praying Mantis told us one night that they were going to do Since You've Been Gone but lost out at the last moment to Ritchie and his band of unfortunates. Graham Bonnet was about as far away as it gets to the bloke from Sledgehammer. Authenticity, that's what it's always been about...

The Bridges Of Madison County [1995] [DVD]
The Bridges Of Madison County [1995] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood
Price: 5.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Unmitigated caca, 30 Nov 2013
Count the number of times Meryl Streep strokes her dress down over her buttocks. She's as phoney as her accent and a martyr to boot. Married Mr Clean to come to the USA and ends up in Iowa too terrified to do anything to change her life. O it was for the kids. Gee thanks mom! Thanks for staying in a loveless unfulfilling nightmare with this dungareed chump (dad!) in the middle of nowhere. How decent and genuine of you. Hilarious that after Clint's had his wicked way she shovels on the guilt. You used me...and Clint's so desperate to prove that he's a righteous dude he'll say and do anything. I was roaring him on as she raced down the footpath to intercept him for the last time. Foot on the gas, hard to the floor. Go on man, get outta there. I wish he'd driven it straight at her. Now that would've been a twist in the tale! Instead...turn round smooth the dress over the buttock...quick glance over shoulder. Imagine growing up in that house with her and her Rumanian accent. Looking at your dad like he's the big guy outta 'Of Mice And Men'. And they got the (enlightened) son asking his wife if she's happy in their relationship! What absolute twaddle. Female martyrs of Britain. Joan of Arc died for your sins. Live your lives! Please...

Hello
Hello
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Preserving the Status Quo, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hello (Audio CD)
'Claudie' is one of my all time fave raves from the grave. The harmony on the chorus is magical, "Claudie made a foo-ool outta me..." They were very special...and yet watching a recent documentary you can see why Lancaster got so upset with Rossi. He just doesn't get it. The Quo are rock royalty but Francis (and Rick) behave like they'd be happy opening for Leapy Lee at Butlins. ("I told them Spinal Tap first Puppet show second...") The importance of preserving a legacy is completely lost on Rossi. Must've been like banging your head against a brick wall. Simplicity is not and never has been low brow. This album and Piledriver will always transcend the apparently willing descent into parody. A great band with the Lancaster/Coghlan rhythm section.

Chrome
Chrome
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange Fruit, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Chrome (Audio CD)
A one track album for me but what an amazing three and a bit minutes of sound! Like a Catherine Wheel being lit 'Strange Fruit' just explodes into light. Brian's precise guitar and the soaring harmonies are the sparks, the bass and drums spinning them round and round at breakneck speed. A desert island disc played back to back with Hawkwind's Moonglum (works for me!). Music that makes one proud to be English.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4