Profile for Cochese > Reviews

Content by Cochese

Cochese "PWNED! - I've been dying to say that for years..." (In my own little fluffy world)

Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard E. Grant
Offered by Jasuli

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of 'change'..., 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Withnail And I [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
I see this film as being a story of coping with sociological change. What does this mean? Well essentially, how people choose to deal with a changing world around them. I find it particularly interesting how the opinions of Danny and Monty are conceptually the same, even though they represent almost opposing ends of the social spectrum. Monty chooses to simply exist in a changing sociological world, but feeds his existence with nostalgia and memories of 'better times' from when he was at public school and then Oxford University. Danny on the other hand, is starting from a more immediate level of change - the transition from a culture of freedom (the 1960's), to a bleaker, harsher reality that he foresees (quite astutely), as being the 1970's. Danny's nostalgia is more immediate in comparison to what Monty feels, but the concept is essentially the same. Marwood himself must also learn to cope with change, but his direction is moving 'with' change as opposed to simply existing within it. He knows that moving to Manchester to pursue his acting career is a large step for someone of his anxious disposition, but a it is a necessary one. The only character to be left in limbo is Withnail. For him, there is no transition to a better world in the future or to a nostalgic one in the past. Withnail simply exists in the present, and without any nostalgia to cling to, or hopes of a better future, he is left as solitary outcast.

Intel E6600 Core2 Duo 2.4GHz - Retail Boxed 1066MHz FSB, 4MB Cache, Dual Core.  64bit Processor Extensions, so can run Windows XP64
Intel E6600 Core2 Duo 2.4GHz - Retail Boxed 1066MHz FSB, 4MB Cache, Dual Core. 64bit Processor Extensions, so can run Windows XP64

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD, take note of this., 27 Aug. 2007
Well, where to begin? ...Hmm, at the beginning I suppose. This CPU (E6600) is simply better than any other AMD CPU on the market...and yes, it is better than AMD's socket F tomfoolery before you raise your hand to interupt me. Marry this beast with an 8800GTX (or GTS version) and some low latency DDR2-800 (2GB for starters), and you have a veritable beast on your sweaty paws. I remember when I first knocked together my E6600 system and booted the thing up..."Why is the CPU fan rotating??...must...find...3...pin...fan...header...connector!" - I thought that, in my haste to build the PC, that I'd forgotten to connect it. I was expecting some kind of imminent 'China Syndrome' meltdownery, but no! The fan was connected to the 3 pin header after all. "I don't get it?!", I schizophrenically hear you ask...Ok...I'll tell you - This CPU at maximum load (bursting at the seams with all of those fluffy Volts and pointy Amps), runs at around 40 degrees Centigrade (I never did like the name 'Celcius').

Usage-wise, this CPU can handle more or less anything you can throw at it (bar anvils). As a gamer, the only pain is that some older games get a little confused about the two cores and will run away and tremble under the table...(awww bless them). So, if there are any fellow gamers reading this, take note....if any games start to act strangely (i.e runs at double speed / half speed...both, or just at no speed at all), then bring up your task manager, highlight the running game process, right click it...go to CPU affinity on the menu, then uncheck CPU 1 (i.e leaving CPU 0 checked) then..well...that's all. The game will effectively just use one of the CPU cores instead of two.

So...summing up :- buy this CPU now! erm...remember also that you need an Intel Core 2 Duo compatible motherboard too (ordinary 775's just won't do)...erm...and DDR2 RAM...erm...and possibly a PSU upgrade.

I used to be an AMD fanboy...*sob*...By switching to Intel, a small piece of my soul feels a little bit sad...Sometimes, I feel as though emotionally, I've been fighting against Hitler with the allied forces for years...only to wake up one morning and saying "Bugger this, I'm joining the Nazi party!"...erm, perhaps that wasn't the best analogy, but I'm sure you understand what I mean...I hope.

So, until I bother to review anything else, I shall say "Aufwiedersehen!"...grrr...I mean "Goodbye!".