Profile for H. B. Hosegoood > Reviews

Content by H. B. Hosegoood
Top Reviewer Ranking: 284

H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Andrew James 1200 Watt Professional Electric Crepe Maker With 2 Year Warranty - New Improved Model - Includes Batter Spreader, Wooden Spatula, Oil Brush and Ladle
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars How to use the crepe maker, 24 Nov. 2012
This is a great product (though I did at first think it felt a little lightweight) and I am now having great fun with it. Here is what I have discovered, which I hope will help save you some of the trial-and-error stuff:

First of all, your first crepes won't be perfect - and yes, I did think mine would be. By the third session I was feeling happy with my crepes, not because they were perfect to look at but because they taste great and look nice, and if the edges are irregular, no one will notice once they are rolled up anyway. And yes, I thought I could get perfectly neat, round edges.

So this is what I do, which works well
1. Set the crepe maker to the first white dot (out of two), i.e. to medium. It will get hot enough to cook on in a couple of minutes, but meanwhile you need to grease it.
2. If you are using oil, drizzle and then brush the oil over the hotplate BEFORE IT HEATS UP otherwise you will melt the brush, which will probably ruin your crepes as well as killing the brush. If you are using a fat such as butter, take a dice-sized cube of butter between finger and thumb and wipe it over the hotplate as it just starts to heat up. You won't use all of it, but if you use any less you will burn your fingers.
3. Now for the mixture. I have found that if I make the mix the night before and put it in the fridge overnight, it makes a thinner, crisper and more even crepes. Of course, you will need to mix it up a bit as it will have settled in the fridge. I also love buckwheat crepe mix - see below. The instructions say to use two of the ladlefuls. Now I find that by the time I add the second ladle, the first lot has started to cook and I make a mess trying to shape it, so I use an ordinary soup ladle, which is bigger. Alternatively start with one small ladle and make small crepes, which is great for small kids and fancy cooking.
4. So ideally pour the mix on to the hotplate with one hand and quickly use the wooden T-shaped thing in the other hand to swirl the mix into shape. Once it starts to cook, the wooden thingy will lift cooked mix and make a mess. I have found that at this point I can use it to PUSH extra mix to the edges, gently going over the top of the cooked area. You also need to clean this tool between crepes because otherwise it picks up more mix and makes lumps and holes in the crepe. (Although it will still taste nice.) Don't try to go to the very edges of the hotplate - mix will wash over the edge. And don't worry about making a neat round shape - as I did - this isn't a pancake but a crepe. I find a ladleful covers about three-quarters of the hotplate in an approximate circle.
5. Don't walk away. The crepe cooks quickly. When you want to see if it is cooked, lightly lift one edge with the flat wooden knife and look underneath. When it starts to brown, the whole crepe will lift off easily and you can flip it like a professional using the wooden knife.
6. Cook the other side.

Breakfast crepe, ready in under 5 minutes
This is my delicious and nutritious breakfast crepe:
The night before (or two) put 1 cup of buckwheat flour (or plain white flour), 2 medium eggs, a pinch of salt and 1 1/4 cups of milk in a blender and blitz. Yes, I know it is cup measures, but they really are easier than weights for this kind of thing, so get yourself a cup-measuring set if you haven't got one already.
In the morning, stir the mix and then cook one side of the crepe as above (steps 1-5). Flip the pancake. Now take a generous dice-sized lump of goats cheese and break it up over the top of the pancake as it cooks on the hotplate - don't overdo the cheese because it is strongly flavoured. It won't look like much but it is enough. Break up half to one sheet of smoked salmon (depending on its size) and arrange on top, roughly concentrating on a line down the middle. Then take a generous handful of watercress (or rocket) and arrange in a line down the middle over the salmon. When the crepe is ready on the underside and the salmon is warmed up, roll up the pancake, over the line of rocket and serve drizzled with a little sweet chilli sauce - delicious. (And although the ingredients are expensive, you don't use much.) Serve up to your loved one.
Other ideas: Apparently the French make buckwheat crepes and wrap them round a sausage like a hot dog, so there is no end of things you could try here. I am going to try using ham and grated cheddar for my son, who doesn't usually want breakfast and then says, as we are going out of the door, that he is hungry.

About the buckwheat. This flour adds a bit of flavour to the crepe, helps against diabetes, strengthens artery walls and is gluten free so it is a good thing. What's more, even fussy kids won't notice the difference from white flour so you won't either. I also think it makes the crepes more filling so you won't eat as much.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 2:57 PM BST

From Daisy to Paisley: 50 Beginner Level Free Motion Quilting Designs: 1
From Daisy to Paisley: 50 Beginner Level Free Motion Quilting Designs: 1
by Leah C Day

4.0 out of 5 stars A great accompaniment, 16 Sept. 2012
I bought this book because I enjoy watching Leah Day's YouTube videos and wanted a handy reference. If you want to do free-motion quilting, visit her site, daystyledesigns.com and watch her in action. She provides lots of tips, information about the materials she favours and more, and it is all free.

The plus points:
* The book is small, portable, and each design fits neatly on one or two pages.
* There are 50 designs and they are all pretty easy (provided you are reasonable at free-motion quilting in the first place - and if you aren't, you just need practice).
* There is a clear photo of each finished stitch and sometimes a diagram, and there are written accompanying instructions (although these are fairly brief).
* The written instructions tell you where to start stitching and the order after that, so if you don't have access to the on-line videos, you can still stitch the design.

Not so hot:
* The instructions are very brief. I think you really need to watch the video to see how it is done, especially if you are a beginner, although these are free on the web so that isn't too much of a hardship. So see this as an accompaniment to the free web video series, not as a stand-alone. I think the book was only meant to be used in that way.

Experienced quilters should buy the author's bigger, more expensive book 365 Free Motion Quilting Designs. This larger book does not contain instructions, but then if you have access to the internet, you can watch the stitching method there. It has 365 designs rather than the 50 in 'From Daisy to Paisley'.

Asus Laptop Netbook Charger Ac Adapter Asus Eee Pc Pc 1001P 1001Ha 1001Pq 1001Ht 1001Px 1001Pg 1005 1005P 1005Pe 1005Pr

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and effective, 13 Sept. 2012
This is my second of these, so I must like them! I bought the first one because my son's charger, which came with his netbook, died, and it wasn't the fuse so that is as far as my electrical knowledge goes. We bought one of these and it worked really well - until I tripped over, stood on it right beside the little transformer thingy and broke it. Don't get the wrong idea here. I don't think it is easy to break, I just put my foot on exactly the wrong spot where the wire goes into the transformer. Anyway, now we are on number 2. Luckily the price is right and the product works, which is just about all that can be said about something like this.

No Sewing Until You Quilt It [With CDROM]
No Sewing Until You Quilt It [With CDROM]
by Ann R. Holmes

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever technique, approachable projects, 13 Sept. 2012
Some good things:
* This book contains a good range of patterns from a very, very simple tulip design with only 14 pieces to the complex design shown on the cover.
* The patterns are provided on a CD which you can open on your computer and then print out.
* The idea behind the book is simple and effective and the text is friendly and easy to follow.

But:
My issue is that I had already come across a similar idea in another book and wanted to see if this one offered any interesting variations. In fact the techniques are so close that this book doesn't offer me anything new. Before you buy this book, you should check out the other one: Luminous Landscapes: Quilted Visions in Paint and Thread. If you haven't already got 'Luminous Landscapes' then you have a choice to make. My advice is this:
If you are the type of person who picks up a books, says 'I can do this' and then buys the book, then 'No Sewing Until You Quilt' is for you; if you are the type of person who picks up a books, says 'I can do this' and then DOESN'T buy the book, then go for 'Luminous Landscapes'. 'Luminous Landscapes' is currently a lot more expensive. It has a pull-out sheet of clear paper patterns at the back instead of a CD and many of the designs not only look impossibly beautiful but also impossibly difficult. However, it is the most inspiring quilting book I own. 'Luminous Landscapes' is about art. You paint the fabric, piece it, appliqué it, embroider it and generally do all sorts of arty things. If you want something more straightforward, more traditional and more approachable, get 'No Sewing Until You Quilt'.

Lemongrass 100% Pure Essential Aromatherapy Oil 50ml
Lemongrass 100% Pure Essential Aromatherapy Oil 50ml
Offered by Calmer Solutions Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous mugs, 21 Aug. 2012
What can I say? Great product, great price. I bought this for my bees, who are supposed to love it, but it smells fabulous, and I now dilute it and spray it on my linen when I'm ironing! I have subsequently bought a number of other essential oils from the same supplier and they are all wonderful. By the way, a few drops of this or something like lavender or rosemary (both of which I have tried) in a small spray bottle is great for spraying on the linen or anywhere else, for that matter.

Complete Guide to Life Drawing
Complete Guide to Life Drawing
by Gottfried Bammes

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and easy to follow, 21 Aug. 2012
This is a reference book you will want to soak up in detail and refer to all the time. I went to life-drawing evening classes for a few years and all I can say is that I wish I'd read this book before. My teacher was excellent but this book provides the background which would have helped me a lot - where the eyes should go on a standard face, how long the arms are, proportions of the body when sitting, standing etc... Sure, everybody is different, but if you know that a woman's head is roughly 1/8 of the body height, that her elbows come roughly 1/3 of the way down, her hips are halfway down and her knees sit on top of the 1/4-way mark, it is going to help. There is info about the proportions of the face too, for budding portraitists.
I have been drawing and painting on and off for the last 25 years or more and I have a bookcase full of art books. This is definitely one I'd recommend. It may not tell you absolutely everything (as the last reviewer mentioned) but then what book could? It relies heavily on illustrations to make its points, and since it is aimed at a visually orientated readership, this is ideal. It contains info about babies, children, youths and adults, both male and female, plus pages devoted to faces, hands, feet and more. There are details about muscles and bones too.
The only real way to learn to draw is to get out there and do it - as often as you can. But if you read a book like this before you start, I reckon you'd cut out a lot of error from your experiments. As the author says, it doesn't matter how beautiful your drawing marks or painting strokes are, or how perfectly you render hair or skin if the fundamental structure of your subject is wrong, because if the structure is wrong, the final image won't look right no matter how much effort you put in. Buy it!

Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum 10)
Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum 10)
by Janet Evanovich

5.0 out of 5 stars Flipping A, 10 May 2012
This is my first Stephanie Plum book and I LOVE it. It is funny but exciting, and the characters are simply fantastic. Some, like Stephanie, are fairly normal, realistic types, but others are wonderful, charming exaggerations, like Lola, the large black lady whose attack/self-defence method is to sit on someone and knock the wind out of him, or Sally, the wonderful white transvestite who drives a school bus.

The story line is constantly engaging. At the risk of giving too much away, there is one scene that really stands out in my mind. Stephanie and friends have captured a gang member to get some information out of him. But then what? I really felt for the characters, deciding what 'torture' to choose and who was to do it. It made the story feel so real, and not like the usual adventure story in which the characters go ahead and do what the are 'supposed to do'. And watch out for a simply spectacular ending.

Well I'm hooked now. I've ordered some of the early books, which are only available in paperback and I think I'm going to have to buy the next book too because I don't think I can wait for the paperbacks to arrive.

Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Dijon
Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Dijon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous mugs, 18 April 2012
I threw out our oddball collection of chipped mugs and bought a few of these in different colours. Everyone loves them and we all have our personal colours now, even regular visitors. It was well worth the investment. These mugs look great, hold a lot of tea or coffee and so far haven't chipped. I am delighted and can't recommend these mugs highly enough. I am going to go on collecting, and as funds allow I shall buy a few more colours to show off. These mugs are not cheap, but they aren't the most expensive mugs you can buy either. I did, however, look through Amazon's collection of colours and found that some colours were cheaper than others, so I bought the cheaper colours!

Knit Swagger Hat Vintage Knitting Pattern Fedora Hat Cap
Knit Swagger Hat Vintage Knitting Pattern Fedora Hat Cap

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive hat but hard to fit, 18 April 2012
This hat requires 6mm needles and a fairly hefty aran yarn. It is worked in rows.

I knitted this hat with double-knitting yarn and 4mm needles - my fault as this turned out to be too small. The instructions say 4-ply yarn and No. 10 needles. But I didn't know whether this was an American or English size of needle and I don't know what size 4-ply yarn is, so I took a guess. As it turns out, this can't be a UK size 10 needle as this would equate to 3.25mm needles and would make the hat super small. It must be American sizing which would take the needles up to 6mm with a correspondingly chunky aran yarn. Anyway, what I made with 4mm needles was a charming baby hat! The pattern does work, and I'm sure if thicker yarn was used the sizing would fit an adult, but the way it is made makes it difficult to check the fit. You see, you work from the centre of the crown to the brim in rows with some short-row shaping, creating an arc. At the end you join the 'sides' together to create a centre-back seam and then gather up the top to close it off.

The brim is doubled over, so you knit (purl on wrong sides) 10 stitches, then have a stitch that is slipped on alternate rows to mark the front of the brim, then work another 10 stitches. When assembling the hat, you fold along the line of slipped stitches and stitch the 'under brim' to the inside edge of the top brim. I must say, I like this element a lot because it creates a nice, fairly sturdy brim with no wrong side.

The 'swagger' part of the hat is basically some simple cabling. It is a 12-row pattern and the cabling is worked only once on those 12 rows, so it isn't hard. You repeat the 12-row pattern 12 times. It would be an easy matter to change this section of the pattern to work a different pattern, if desired.

What I don't like about the pattern is:
1) The difficulty of checking the fit.
2) The centre-back seam, which to me is a little messy.

What I do like is:
1) The style of the hat.
2) The fact that it is an old pattern and looks quite different from the usual style today.
3) The method of construction. I know I said it was hard to check the fit, and it is, but I did enjoy working this way.
4) There is potential to modify the pattern: the cable section could be different; the centre-back could be joined with kitchener stitch with a little modification so that the centre-back seam goes.

Love. Life. Ukulele
Love. Life. Ukulele

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should hear this, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Love. Life. Ukulele (MP3 Download)
Sophie Madeleine is a hidden British treasure. She has everything - she sings beautifully, plays ukulele, she's too pretty for her own good and she seems very nice too - check out her YouTube video which includes other singers playing and singing her song (called Favourite). Be one of the first to discover her and impress your friends. She certainly deserves to be BIG and the more of us that share her music, the better.

This is a very pretty album. There isn't a song that isn't lovely to listen to. It is gentle, folksy music that makes you feel happy. I can't rate it highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20