Profile for Mark Brinton > Reviews

Content by Mark Brinton

Mark Brinton (Birmingham, England)

WiFi Repeater Access Point up to 300 / 150 / 54 Mbps WLAN wireless amplifier for the socket including LAN connection , for 802.11 b / g / n standards with UK Plug
Offered by Tech Code
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but does the job, 5 Aug 2012
The initial configuration was easy enough.

You plug it into the mains, then connect to the device via an ethernet cable, and configure it using your browser.
There's no software to install, and there was no need to mess with any network settings. (I'm using Linux.)

Later when I wanted to change the configuration settings I couldn't get to the admin page via the browser.
Eventually I just did a hard-reset on the device, and started again from scratch.

Apart from that minor annoyance, it seems to work well.

I used an app on my phone to measure the wi-fi signal strength. Most of the time it's a lot stronger than the signal direct from my wi-fi router, but sometimes it drops to about the same strength.

I'm happy with it, and would recommend it to others.

Samsung R780 17.3 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-480M Processor, 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, DVDSMDL, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for linux, 2 Jun 2011
I liked the spec of this laptop but had a few concerns about running linux on it. I'd seen some forum posts listing problems with the network card, wifi support, and a few other things. This review is mainly for people who are interested in using it with linux.

I'm happy to report that everything works fine. I've only had it for a day, but so far everything works.

I initially tried to boot off a live Ubuntu 11.04 DVD, and had major problems with the desktop, and gave up. I tried a Linux Mint DVD (which I was planning to use anyway) and everything just works. Wifi, graphics card, even the keyboard controls for volume and screen brightness worked, with no tweaking required. It's all been very painless.

I do have a few minor niggles with the laptop. But they weren't enough for me to reduce the 5-star rating.

I'm not so keen on the mouse buttons. They are flush with the surface of the laptop, and sometimes I have to feel around or look down to find them. I prefer raised buttons, but I'll get used to them. With some laptops you can press both mouse buttons together to get a middle mouse click. You can't do that with this laptop, as they aren't separate buttons. It's one big button that rocks to the left or right. However, you can get a middle mouse click by tapping the top-right corner of the track pad.

Great spec for the money, great linux support (if you pick the right version), and the usual fast delivery from amazon.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2011 11:45 PM BST

Belkin Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - White
Belkin Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - White
Offered by Terminal 1
Price: 13.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 23 Jan 2011
The only concern I had when I ordered this was that my laptop (IBM Z60m) might be a bad fit.
However, it fits securely, and works really well, on a table or on my lap.

The laptop reports its temperature around 45-50C but was over 70C without the fan.
(Probably much higher sometimes, as it has crashed due to overheating.)

I was going to take the laptop apart to replace the fan, but this is a much cheaper and easier solution.

It works well, and is a real bargain. Recommended.

Soundfly AUX OUT MP3 Player Car Fm Transmitter for SD Card, USB Stick, Mp3 Players (iPod, Zune)
Offered by SATECHI
Price: 37.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, it didn't work, 10 Jan 2011
This would have been exactly what I've been looking for, but unfortunately it didn't work.
I plugged it into the cigarette lighter and the screen lit up, but was blank. No information was shown.
I removed it and plugged it back in again and this time it didn't light up, and seemed completely dead.
I'll be returning it, and looking for something similar from a different company.

"How to Improve Your Reading Speed and Comprehension"
"How to Improve Your Reading Speed and Comprehension"

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 17 Oct 2010
I bought this less than an hour ago, and have finished it already. And that's not because the book is really good at teaching speed reading!

Imagine you're 12 years old, and your homework assignment is to write 10 pages about speed reading. You only know 3-4 things, and by the time you've written everything you know, you've only done half a page. So you repeat the same stuff again and again, with lots of pointless filler, until you manage to pad it out to 10 pages. Now publish it for the kindle and hope someone (like me) will be daft enough to buy it.

As an example of the kind of filler it contains, she mentions fiction books, spends a few paragraphs saying what it is, and finishes with a paragraph that starts "Examples of fiction include myth, fables, fairy tales.....". Then she mentions non-fiction books, discusses what they are, and ends with "Examples of non-fiction works are... journals, essays, biographies...".

I can remember using the same padding tricks when I was at school.

Some of the other filler is even more off topic, here's another quote from a section 86% of the way through entitled "How to increase your reading speed"...

"The Information Age is a time when speed is of the essence. Everything is fast. In the blink of an eye, money is transferred from New York to Tokyo. A call on a mobile phone is made in the same distance in the same amount of time. It is no big leap of thought to see that even people will be expected to move a light speeds. " (I've been careful to quote that exactly as it appears in the book.)

Another quote from later on...

"Being an ability found in humans and in limited levels in primates, literacy requires that one must be able to comprehend first the symbol and the underlying meaning behind the symbols. Since reading is this complex, it signals that a person is intelligent."

I could carry on, but hopefully you get the idea.

It's so bad, I'm tempted to ask for a refund. People shouldn't be able to make money publishing anything this bad.

If you're tempted to buy this, please consider reading the wikipedia page on speed reading instead. It's much better.

I did a google search after typing this review, and the whole "book" appears on-line here:
[...]

I think someone (apart from me) is being ripped off here.

Wacom Bamboo One Graphics Tablet
Wacom Bamboo One Graphics Tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for linux, 21 Feb 2009
I just got my Bamboo One, plugged it into the USB port and it worked immediately.
I'm using Linux, and expected to have to do a few tweaks to make it work, so I'm quite chuffed by that. (I'm using a version of Linux called Mint.)
It even supports desktop switching with Compiz using the pen button!
Configuring gimp (image editing application) took 10 seconds, as "Wacom Bamboo One" appeared in its list of input devices, and I now have a pressure sensitive drawing tablet. All very quick and easy. I'm impressed.

Release It!: Design and Deploy Production-Ready Software (Pragmatic Programmers)
by Michael T. Nygard
Price: 21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 1 July 2008
The author's wealth of experience is evident as soon as you start reading. He passes on that experience in a very enjoyable and readable way, with lots of real world tips and anecdotes.
I get the impression that no matter what design or deployment problems you face, he's already been there and dealt with them, and has lots of practical advice that can really make a difference.

Ducti Coin Classic Bi-fold wallet - Silver Duct Tape
Ducti Coin Classic Bi-fold wallet - Silver Duct Tape
Offered by The Present Store
Price: 14.75

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 12 Jun 2008
I liked the look of this, but unfortunately there are problems.
It has space for 4 cards, but only the top 2 are usable. The metal stud to the
lower right of the card slots stops the bottom 2 cards from going in all the way,
and they end up getting in the way of the top 2 cards.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2009 2:23 PM GMT

SanDisk 4gb Cruzer Micro U3 Smart 2.0 USB Flash Drive
SanDisk 4gb Cruzer Micro U3 Smart 2.0 USB Flash Drive

2.0 out of 5 stars hardware ok, software annoying, 5 Feb 2007
As soon as you plug the stick into your USB port it installs software on your PC. Without any warning, and without asking for permission. The drive comes with software and various folders. If you delete them, then they are re-created next time you insert the drive. (Isn't that how malware behaves?)

If you like to control what software gets installed on your PC, then I suggest you give this drive a miss.

There is an uninstaller available for download, which will remove the U3 LaunchPad stuff. If it wasn't for that I would have only given the drive 1 star.

I've given it a brief try with Linux (Kubuntu) and I'm not convinced that it is behaving properly.