Profile for Stuart Gunter > Reviews

Content by Stuart Gunter

Stuart Gunter (London, UK)

Scala in Action
Scala in Action
by Nilanjan Raychaudhuri
Price: 20.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book amongst its peers, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Scala in Action (Paperback)
I didn't feel that the content in this book flowed very well, and it was littered with basic spelling and grammar errors that really should be picked up by the editor prior to publishing. I get the sense that some aspects were a bit rushed, and was quite disappointed with my purchase.

Something that attracted me to this particular book was that it is quite recent and covers Scala 2.10 - but in hindsight, I'd rather buy a better (albeit slightly dated) book and fill in the gaps myself.

I usually find myself addicted to my tech books, battling to put them down... this one didn't quite live up to that standard. Can't say I'd recommend it.

Samsung BD-P1500/XEU - Blu-ray Disc Player
Samsung BD-P1500/XEU - Blu-ray Disc Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Firmware update breaks the player, and Samsung won't replace it, 14 Jun 2010
I bought one of these players a while back (it is now out of warranty) and I've had a major problem with the device. After doing a firmware update (as instructed in the user manual) the player will no longer work. This seems to be a very common problem, judging by the number of forum posts and articles about it - so I'm definitely not alone in this.

I understand that the device is out of warranty, but this is quite clearly a manufacturing fault and should be rectified. The player is only just over a year old and should not ever have problems like this.

Samsung's customer service was not helpful and made no attempt to rectify the problem. I'm very unimpressed with the product and the customer service, and feel that they need to better serve their customers with problems caused by their own design / manufacturing. A firmware update is a very simple feature, and quite important for a blu ray player, so I expect this feature to work flawlessly.

I now have a broken player that must be repaired at my own expense. Not impressed! I will not be buying another Samsung blu ray player again.