Profile for J. Slack > Reviews

Content by J. Slack

J. Slack "JBunny" (New Zealand)

The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
A great read I couldn't put it down. In the 70's I enjoyed other books on the American South these were mainly about cotton growers and help broght over from Africa, nothing seems to have been written since that took my eye until this.
This story is more modern day and enlightens us to the strange attitude of people towards their maids and that anyone standing up for their rights is almost alone. Would hate to live in this environment as either a maid or the employer. A great book that has brought this problem back to the surface, it certainly created a lot of discussion with my friends.
A must have book on your shelf, now I can go see the movie :-)

Four Meals For Fourpence: A Heartwarming Tale of Family Life in London's old East End
by Grace Foakes

3.0 out of 5 stars social history, 5 Dec. 2011
Social history stories are always interesting, this one had a good story about a family and how they lived and the acceptance of their life as it was, life is never easy. Easy to read the style was obviously done by an older woman but it suited this book.

1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
by Dawn DeVries Sokol

3.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 5 Dec. 2011
A good book to have on the shelf for when ideas do not flow. Well illustrated and enough text to get you going rather than bog you down.

Billy Brown, I'll Tell Your Mother
Billy Brown, I'll Tell Your Mother
by Bill Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars brought back memories, 5 Dec. 2011
This book was a very easy light read about a young boys escapades post war London, It brought back a few memories for me with looking round old bomb sites and reminded me about the trust people had in each other, your word was your bond. Only took me a couple of days to read as I couldn't put it down. A great part of the social history of the UK. A great read to take on holiday.

Our Betty
Our Betty
by Liz Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Our Betty (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book and have loved this actor for many years. A very talented lady and it was great to read about her life. Recommended reading, not a heavy read and good to take on holiday.

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse
1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse
by Garth Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, 5 Dec. 2011
Excellent refernce book of ideas with great photographs; only thing I would have preferred would be that the artist name and text could have been underneath each photograph instead of looking up details in the back of the book. There were also a lot of same items just different colours, still hudnreds of great ideas. A great refernce for my library- its already been borrowed by a couple of friends :-)

The Printmaking Handbook: The Complete Guide to the Latest Techniques, Tools, and Materials
by Louise Woods
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars great little book, 5 Dec. 2011
I was very pleased with this book, its size was good for keeping on your workbench and the spiral bind means you can keep it flat. The photographs are great and really good step by step instructions. Most suitable for a beginner it covers all printing methods and most could be achieved at home with very little equipment. A great buy.

The 1000 Journals Project
The 1000 Journals Project
by Kevin Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars 1000 journals, 22 Sept. 2011
I remebered this project getting off the ground and followed it with interest for some time hoping one of the journals would come to NZ. I saw that one did make it to middle earth then dissapeared- so dissapointed but not to worry I was delighted with the bound copy which is a selection from many of the first journals back, some little surpirises in the book too like stitching and although some of the work was a bit strange to me it was an entry someone was proud to put their name to. Its a flick through (coffee table) book and many friends have taken a few minutes to browse and comment, quite a converstaion starter. The smaller size (bit bigger than A5) is appropriate to the work inside and its bound pretty well so will take a lot of handling. I am very pleased with this purchase

The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
by Sarah Silverman

2.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Silverman Bio, 22 Sept. 2011
A good light read. I didn't know this person well and just the title piqued my interest. A good filler for reading in between my usual tomes.

The Wedding Dress
The Wedding Dress
by Ehrman Edwina

5.0 out of 5 stars Best historical book on the subject, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Wedding Dress (Hardcover)
This beautiful book on 300 years of bridal fashion took my eye in a local advertisement announcing some of the V&A bridal collection on exhibition later in the year in Wellington NZ. I have not finished reading the book yet as there is a lot of reading and not the sort you sit and devour in a couple of sessions. The photographs are excellent especially the museum pieces where lighting and angle can be well prepared. There are also some excellent shoes and other bridal necessities. Its an excellent reference and histrical account as would be befitting from the V&A.There is a wide selection of gowns, traditional and some quite weird. This will not be a book I cast aside in a few years but a treasure to keep.Bonus was it cost me almost half the price it was going to be at the later exhibition and I could have it now!