Profile for Dr Jim > Reviews

Content by Dr Jim

Dr Jim (West Yorkshire, UK)

Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide)
by Craig McLachlan

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our needs, 10 Dec. 2013
I had been planning a trip touring the Kansai region of Japan, but the Rough Guide had limited coverage of rural areas. In November 2013 I used this (Sept) edition of Lonely Planet to fill a lot of gaps. I found many of the restaurant and accommodation recommendations in both city (Kyoto) and rural (Kii Kumano region) were great and provided well for both budget and mid-range - homework well done. While I couldn't expect a book of finite size to cover all the minutiae of rural Japan, the LP team certainly managed to capture enough to give you a well-researched flavour of traditional Japan (and avoid the crowds).

I can't speak to it's value in other areas of Japan, but I do intend to use it on my next trip to other parts of Japan.

Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook (MC461B/A)
Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook (MC461B/A)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., 15 Jun. 2012
Adapter arrived very promptly and bears Apple logo. No problems with it, nor does it run nearly as hot as the previous adapter that came with my macbook.

UPDATE 6th November 2012: Ok, follow up: After almost 5 months of use it now periodically turns itself off, even when the macbook is not charged. After removing briefly and re-attaching it works, but only for a little bit :-/
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2012 10:24 PM GMT

The Lost Gate (Mither Mages)
The Lost Gate (Mither Mages)
by Orson Scott Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Orson Scott Card novel..., 1 Feb. 2011
I love the worlds that Orson Scott Card creates and I found this new one compelling. The development of the character Danny was also well done; I look forward to hearing more about him. I'd recommend this book to seasoned readers of contemporary fantasy, but particularly to those who may not have tried the genre before.

From Midnight on
From Midnight on

5.0 out of 5 stars A cool cat...., 13 Aug. 2006
This review is from: From Midnight on (Audio CD)
Nell Bryden is a fantastically accomplished young singer and songwriter. Her songs are meaningful, rich in soul and energy, sung with a playful manner and effortless, warm voice with a great vocal range. She has a distinctive style and one that I highly recommend!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2009 10:21 AM GMT