Profile for philswan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
EUCLID'S WALL
EUCLID'S WALL

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: EUCLID'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
Note to author: This world you have created in this book would be perfect for more and more future books!

This is once again an excellent read from this author who is rapidly becoming a favourite of mine. When I read the product summary the subject matter interested me, the cost of the book (just over £5) mean't to me a decent book length was a must, again he didn't disappoint in the 400 page length range was more than a fair trade.

The book is about a man made experiment in the latter half of the 21st century into zero point energy going very very wrong resulting in the end of civilisation as we know it virtually overnight from wave upon wave of natural disasters.

Fast forward 100 years and we are presented with the earth rebounded to 18th century tech level naval ships, in the 22nd century using pieces of tech salvaged from what they call the 'high civilisation', thats us!

An original idea, very interesting read with interesting characters, well written as usual from this author.

Highly recommend it.

Outside Context Problem
Outside Context Problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 24 Oct. 2012
Believable alien contact is one of my favourite subject matter and Iam always on the lookout for new authors, however the books still need to be well written, of decent book length and the right price.

I first came across this author when I read his book 'Invasion' which is also an excellent read, I couldn't believe the value for money aganist some of the rubbish kindle books out there which where higher priced and poorly written.

This book is the first one in the Trilogy of what happens when a superior race comes to Earth and wants the planet for themselves, if you like that sort of book you will love this.

My only comment being from the UK is that I hope in the coming books what happens in the rest of the world is included, its briefly touched on in this book and I have no problem with that as at the end of the day its a US book for a US market.

An excellent read and one that I couldn't put down, please Mr Nuttall release the sequel ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 10:24 AM BST

EVAC EARTH (NEW HUMANITY Book 1)
EVAC EARTH (NEW HUMANITY Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 23 Oct. 2012
A number of factors go into me buying a books these include reviews, product description, sample pages, book length and price.

In the absence of any reviews prior to me purchase, the description was good, sample pages seemed good, book length was not to short and the price reasonable, so I took a risk however the author left me totally disappointed.

On reading, it felt the book length should have been double what it actually was, it was like reading cardboard or reading by numbers.

For example, early on you are told there have been 10s of millions of deaths worldwide and especially in the US due to natural disasters (this was covered in I believe two lines) but don't worry this has no effect on getting raw materials to their US compounds to build the ships to get them into space and these compounds have no worries like refugees trying to get in and away from these natural disasters, these subjects are never mentioned.

The writing style is very wooden, Spaceship A goes into orbit followed by Spaceship B, Spaceship A achieves orbit. Spaceship A lands on the moon and Person A takes some samples, hangon a minute the first man on the moon in 60 odd years and that does not even get covered or Apollo mentioned.

And it continues, Spaceship A lands on Mars and the people get out for a few hours and start setting up............HANGON WE JUST LANDED ON MARS, theres no depth or development or proper story telling its writing by numbers.

I very rarely write a review, I will try more often as I have found many books for this price that have been amazing but this writer left me feeling cold.

He thought up a great idea, EVAC of earth using present day technology but clearly lacks the story telling ability to do it justice, I thought take a risk its only £1.95 you win some you lose some, this was definately a LOSS

A Quiet Thing
A Quiet Thing

5.0 out of 5 stars What a surprise!, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: A Quiet Thing (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on the back of an interest in the subject matter, however my expectations were not high having had bad experiences with cheap kindle books (bad grammer, wooden characters, poor stories).

All I can say is wow!

This book had clearly visited an editor, the story was fast paced (owing to only being 180 pages approx) but linked well, the characters were interesting, I didn't put this book down from start to finish!, I would highly recommend it.

My only criticism....there were many scenes that clearly could have been done in more detail and taken more time over, book could easily have been 400 pages, but hey if Iam complaining that this book isnt long enough then there aint much wrong!!!!!

Page: 1 | 2