Profile for philswan > Reviews

First Journey: After the Shut Down
by W. R. Flynn
Price: 9.29

3.0 out of 5 stars A good continuation....but slow, 7 Jan 2013
Chances are you are reading this review having read the previous 2 books like I did, despite the first negative review I bought it on the strength of the first two.

I thought the author linked in well with what happened in the previous books (it had been a while since I read them so it was good the way he weaved it slight refreshers now and again), I have come to trust the author that he can make the characters and the world around them come alive and I was not disappointed.

Yes...the story is slow but seeing the stories place in the overall series so far I can forgive that, I for one will be buying the next in the series.....please not to long Mr Author!!

INVASION USA (Book 4) - The Battle for Houston...The Aftermath
INVASION USA (Book 4) - The Battle for Houston...The Aftermath
Price: 3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad...., 5 Jan 2013
The only bad thing about reading a series is when it comes to an end (hint to author can we have more!)

There is not much new to add that previous people have not commented on, a great finish to the series the author did not disappoint me and as I have said before this author is now on my watch list for new books, in fact I have just started reading America One (if you like reading plausible stories based on Space then look it up).

If you have bought the previous 3 books then you will buy this no matter what to finish the series, if you are checking all the reviews before investing in the series then buy buy buy, you will be richly rewarded in hours and hours of good reading.

Phil UK

INVASION USA (Book 3) - The Battle For Survival!
INVASION USA (Book 3) - The Battle For Survival!
Price: 3.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Jan 2013
I can understand the previous comments about padding and get on with the action but my reply would be....

Hang on, this book is over 400 pages long! at a very reasonable price, if you want constant action then buy books that are only 200 to 250 pages long (there are plenty out there), this author is consistently producing book lengths that I think are above and beyond when compared to the price and in a time when there are plenty of authors on amazon asking crazy prices for books in the 200 to 250 pages range he should be commended.

Rant over :-))

If you are reading this review then its highly likely that you have read Books 1 & 2 and are just seeking confirmation that what you expect to be reading is what you will get, well I can tell you that is what you will get.

Buy and enjoy!

INVASION USA (Book 2) - The Battle For New York
INVASION USA (Book 2) - The Battle For New York
Price: 3.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint, 5 Jan 2013
Knowing this book was Part 2 of 4 my decision to buy this book was based on a few things, did I enjoy Part 1 (Ohhhh yes!!), again does the author fit my criteria of book cost aganist book length (big yes on that one) and finally was I willing to buy the rest of the series (again yes)

If you liked the first book you will not be disappointed, a great read and it was great to read how the characters develop from the first book.

This author is now on my trusted list that I look out for new books from!!

INVASION USA (Book 1) - The End of Modern Civilization
INVASION USA (Book 1) - The End of Modern Civilization
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticked all my boxes, 5 Jan 2013
I have a limited genre of types of books I enjoy reading, one of these is apocalypse / end of the world, this is what brought me to this book however I will still not buy a book unless the price is reasonable versus the book length and the premise of the book is plausible.

The author ticked all my boxes for this one so I bought it knowing it was first in a series.

Let me also say that I have bought books before that fit all of the above criteria and have stopped reading them half way through because of poor writing or cardboard characters, this book did NOT disappoint and I finished it in record time!

The writing and character developement was good and I found myself interested in what would happen to them which is a must for me, if you are interested in this type of genre that buy this book, you won't be disappointed.

AMERICA ONE (Book 1)
AMERICA ONE (Book 1)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 4 Jan 2013
I first found this author with his Invasion USA series, if you haven't read them then I suggest you look them up, an excellent series.

America One (Book 1 of 3) I found again to be well written, good character developement with sufficient technical details to keep it realistic but not to much that it bores the reader, you cannot help but wish there was a real Mr Richmond out there to help get NASA a kick up the backside!!!

I for one am hooked, hey I can understand a previous comment about cliff hangers, none of us like them but we can all understand them when its a triolgy.

Roll on Book 2 & 3!!!!!

Phil

Secession
Secession
Price: 6.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but fell short, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Secession (Kindle Edition)
Unfortunately this book left me feeling cheated....

Up to about three quarters of the way through the book I found it well written, very interesting read with plausible story lines, then the last quarter felt like the author just wanted to finish it and move on or he didn't know how to finish it in the time allowed.

Good premise, poor execution. Worth the cost? No

Seeds of Empire (Celtic Empire Book 1)
Seeds of Empire (Celtic Empire Book 1)
Price: 4.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it...., 6 Nov 2012
If you like books based in the Roman world and alternate history books as well then you will love this book.

The author creates a plausible point of divergence in which 2 bannished romans create a celtic empire from scratch with its heart based in the Midlands of England.

I came across this author quite by accident, imagine my glee when I found out the book was 1 of 4 in a series!!!! I have never read so fast, the main characters are likeable, seeing a nation built the right way from the ground up was fascinating, I cannot give these books to high a praise.

Iam now on book 4 of 4 in the series, note to author....please do not let this be the last in this world you have created.

10 out of 10

299 Days: The Collapse
299 Days: The Collapse
Price: 4.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.....Cost, 1 Nov 2012
I really like these types of books and when I read the sample pages and the many reviews AND the fact it was a 10 book series I thought YES, I have found a good one here....then I saw the price.

6 price range for a 299est page book is acceptable (thats Book 1), 4.53 for an estimated 145est page book is NOT (thats Book 2).

Whoever thought up this pricing needs their head read, I have read numerous ebooks in the 1-3 price range that were just as well written and double the length. If the Author / publisher think this is acceptable then unfortunately I think they will be missing out on an even bigger fan base.

I was about to buy these two books, now before investing myself in the series I will wait for a lot more of the 10 books in the series to come out and once again compare cost aganist length ratio, I suspect many others will to which is a shame considering I believe its a good series.

Get real author / publisher, 4.53 for a 140 page book is taking the mickey!!!

World War III - A Funeral For All Humanity?
World War III - A Funeral For All Humanity?
Price: 8.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Price, 27 Oct 2012
4.59 for 17 pages???????

It won't be getting a review from me as I won't be buying it, some authors/publishers need to look again at the pricing as its ridiculous.....

Page: 1 | 2