ARRAY(0xaec2da50)

Profile for David Fairweather > Reviews

Content by David Fairweather

David Fairweather (Gloucestershire, England.)

Lenovo G580 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Celeron 1000M, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo g580 15.6 in laptop, 9 Dec 2013
So fat the Lenovo is working well. Not sure sure about Windows 8 - prefer windows 7. But its probably a question of getting used to it.

The laptop was easy to get up and running, keyboard has nice feel about it. Only criticism is the 'slider' part of the touch pad is invisible - there is no textural or colour variation to identify where it is, so there's a certain amount of guessing and feeling for it. Again, just a matter of familiarisation.

All said, very good value for money. Hope I am still saying the same in 2 or 3 years.

Michael Nyman's - Man with a Movie Camera [DVD]
Michael Nyman's - Man with a Movie Camera [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dziga Vertov
Offered by ludovico_institute
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden gem, 30 Jan 2010
I first heard this piece live in Bristol when Michael Nyman and band were performing there. It was a unique combination of old silent docu-movie with Nyman's genius superimposed on it. A really special occasion. So it was with some trepidation that I bought the CD - you know what I am thinking - you hear something live and are blown away by it, so you buy the CD - and often it is a disappointment. The live original is always better, or nearly always. Man with a Movie Camera is one of those examples where the CD is better because you can saviour its uniqueness. The orignical camera work by Vertov gets better every time you watch it, and Nyman's musical genius does much more than just support the movie, it synergises it - pumps it up. The music both subtle and explosive, capturing that special Nyman sound experience. For anyone who loves Nyman and cinema, then this has to be a required addition to your CD collection.

Michael Nyman's Man With A Movie Camera [1929]
Michael Nyman's Man With A Movie Camera [1929]

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden gem, 24 Jan 2010
I first heard this piece live in Bristol at a Michael Nyman concert, and was blown away with it. I bought the DVD expecting it to be a poor relation to the live performance. But nothing could be furthet from the truth. I don't know exactly what it is that makes it special, but I think it is a unique combination of music and the original movie. Every time I watch it the images and music create a wonderfully special atmosphere. Ok, being a Nyman fan I am biased, but of all the Nyman music I have heard this is in my top 5 favorite works.

Belkin N Wireless ADSL Modem Router with Simple Security Set Up & High-speed Internet Connection 300 Mbps (F5D8636uk4A)
Offered by EU-Elektronik
Price: 14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars No regrets after much deliberation, 6 Dec 2009
I have used an older Belkin wireless router for a couple of years which I bought just because it was cheap. It performed quite well but cut out regularly, requiring the time honoured turn it off and on again treatment. Wanting to upgrade to a better router I looked at a alternatives wishing to buy a more 'upmarket' and reliable router. The choices were bewildering. After a month of indecision, a mistaken purchase (thanks to Amazon for their superbly efficient returns service), and a sense of foreboding regarding the trouble of installing another router, always descibed as only a 5 minute job, but which invariably takes 3 hours, my kids were getting impatient for a better router. So to save face if nothing else I had to make a decision. After carefully reviewing models and customer reviews I had to conlcude the Belkin N seemed to offer the best value. So on the allotted D day I pressed the order button and awaited delivery. Several days later it arrived, and still with that sense of foreboding postponed installation for a few days until the weekend, when I would prepare myself mentally for the expected challenging ordeal. Saturday came and went, Sunday morning drifted into that Sunday afternoon lethargy. I could put off the evil task no longer. So with the feeling of a condemned man walking to the gallows I opened the box and began the installation procedure.

It all seemed too easy - all I had to do was plug in the cables, insert the CD abd follow instructions. Well, much to my amazement it was that easy. Just like it says in the blurb within about 10 minutes or so I was up and running on the main PC. That was too easy - laptops won't possibly work. I turned on my laptop and sure enough 'no device available'. So in an act of desperation I turned my laptop off and on again, and lo - wireless device detected - signal strength 'very good'. I checked with my younger son and he said his was working. And older son's laptop. It seemed we had ignition, successful launch, and were now in orbit - all systems go.

And a week later it has performed faultlessly - no cutting out, good signal strength in all parts of the house. And being an older house we have real walls made of bricks and stuff. Being a cynical old git I resent giving anything full marks. So when deciding on the number of stars to award i could not criticise the Belkin for anything. The speed was only 100 mbps on the PC and only 54 on the laptop, but that is probably the limitations of rural Gloucestershire's broadband connection. Speed and signal strength is consistent and strong. So I asked sons for their opinions. 'No problems' were their replies. So I had no option but to award the full 5 star rating. Well done Belkin.

But it has only been a week - plenty of time to go wrong yet! Watch this space.

UPDATE - It's now 23rd Jan 2010 and the Belkin N is still working faultlessly. No regrets at all.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2011 10:06 AM GMT