Profile for Tim O'Leary > Reviews

Tim O'Leary (Dorset. UK)

Whispers
Whispers

5.0 out of 5 stars Her career defining work?, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Whispers (Audio CD)
Tina hasn't put a foot wrong as a recording artist in my book and this is one of her best, in fact for me it's her best recording so far. The minimal simplicity of this work is how I prefer music from singer/songwriters like Tina - it's all about the song and the lyrics and each one here is superbly crafted . . . . and that voice. When you get it right, less really is more and I believe this is her career defining work, just achingly beautiful and I have it on (again) right now. Ten songs and 10/10 for them all.

Truly, truly wonderful - thank you Tina and looking forward to seeing you again in November.

Lost Wife, Saw Barracuda: True Stories of a Sharm El Sheikh Scuba Diving Instructor

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, moving at times, but above all a very entertaining read., 16 Jan 2011
I have been a diver since 1998 and have read many dive books over the years - however, its not often you come across a book like this one. Told by a Sharm El Sheikh diving instructor, it gives a very candid view into the trials and tribulations of working in one of the industries busiest dive resorts. Without giving too much away, the book grips you from the start with a preview to the tragic events of July 2005, when the resort fell victim to a terrorist attack, claiming the lives of nearly 100 people and wounding many more.....

However, don't be fooled - this book has many facets, some of which will have you rolling in laughter, so much so I spilt a cup of hot tea over myself! I'm still smiling now thinking about the passage in question. The book is based on true events, which makes it all the more readable and spans the authors career from the very start to the present day.

I started reading it in the evening and had it finished by the next afternoon, as I was unable to put it down. Regulars of Sharm may know the author, as he has also written a very informative guide to one of the worlds top wreck dives, the S.S. Thistlegorm, which gets a mention in this book. John Kean's writing style is very relaxed and its like hearing stories from a mate over a pint in the pub.

Its all in here, 'warts an all', with something for everyone - so if you are a diver and certainly if you have ever dived the waters around Sharm El Sheikh, then you will enjoy this book and it comes highly recommended. In fact if you are thinking of trying a dive, then this may well seal the deal for you and have you running for your credit card in search of some sea, sun and fun beneath the waves. A true insight into life behind the mask of a diving instructor.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm boycotting this too, 19 Nov 2010
Crass move for sure, I have the extended DVD and won't buy this inferior version, but will buy the extended Blu-ray.
Wake up guys and give the fans what they want and stop ripping people off!

Some People Have Real Problems
Some People Have Real Problems

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime SIA, 21 Aug 2010
I have been buying music on a regular basis since the age of 13 (nearly 40 years) and probably buy on average 10~20 CD's a month. Every now and again I find some real gems and sometimes (not as often these days) I get blown away....... well Sia blew me away. I first heard her incredible voice as the end credit to the film '36'. I had to do some research and bought all her albums straight away.

This for me is her best, searingly beautiful and intensely moving vocals. I can see how Sia's very unique and individual style may not appeal to all, but if you like her at all, I URGE you to buy this CD. Lady Croissant is also a must buy for Sia fans. Her cover of the Ray Davis penned 'I Go to Sleep' is haunting and certainly IMO the best version you will hear.

Sia I love you :)

Michael Jackson's This Is It
Michael Jackson's This Is It

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear . . ., 14 Oct 2009
The guy is hardly cold in his grave before the mighty money making machine kicks in the reap the rewards from his amazing talent. It will be an instant hit of course, but what a reflection of today's greedy world.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2009 2:18 PM BST

Mothership: The Very Best of Led Zeppelin
Mothership: The Very Best of Led Zeppelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Collection., 6 Dec 2007
There are some critical reviews here and I question the comments made? I suggest some are sour grapes from people who have not actually heard this CD, but don't want to spend the money to buy what in their view 'is just another re-mastered collection and the record company cashing in'. Well if you feel that way, don't whinge about it, just don't buy it! For those that want to hear the best of Zeppelin as you have never heard them before, then buy it. It's reasonably priced and the work that has gone into producing it is exceptional. I won't labour on, as there are some fantastic comments already about the technical presentation of this set. Suffice to say if you like Zeppelin, you won't be disappointed with this very good value double CD. The songs sound fresh and new and I have never heard Zeppelin sound so fine. I do have their complete catalogue, including the re-masters double CD, so have something to measure this against - trust me, it's astonishing how good this sounds compared to the original studio CD's. The clarity and seperation of the instruments is remarkable, I have not done a Pepsi challange as to me the sound is so much better, I don't need to compare - I can hear it clearly. The first CD benefits most and the reworked 'Stairway to Heaven' is worth the purchase price alone.

A great collection of the best from Zeppelin's catalogue and a VERY worthwhile addition to any serious rock fans music collection. Do yourself a favour and see how good one of the best rock bands of all time can sound...........

A solid 5 stars is earned, if I could award more I would.

(If you disagree after hearing it, them I will buy you a beer!).
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 3:32 PM GMT

Skipdoctor Advanced Disc Repair System
Skipdoctor Advanced Disc Repair System

1.0 out of 5 stars Why waste your money?, 7 Nov 2007
BRASSO!
Can I give potential purchasers a bit of advice? All this device does is to gently wear away the top surface of the CD/DVD so the scratches are either reduced or worn away, making the disc playable. This process however will not leave the surface shiny and you will have mutiple minor marks. This does work and will make a disc playable, as long as it's not too deeply marked.
BUT - here's the advice. By a tin of Brasso (which is also a mild abrasive) and clean your surfaces with that. You may need to use a bit of 'elbow grease' and it will leave faint marks, but the discs will play. Try it on something not to precious first, then you will see and gain confidence. I buy most of my CD's from eBay and a lot skip, 2/3 minutes with the Brasso and hey presto - they play perfectly. A tin of Brasso costs £1.26 and lasts for ages.....
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2012 10:23 PM GMT

The Gramophone Classical Good CD, DVD and Download Guide 2007 (Gramophone Classical Music Guide)
by James Jolly

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Guide to have., 23 Jan 2007
This is an excellent reference source for anyone wanting to buy the best available recordings in classical music. The guide is easy to read and gives full details of all the current available CD's. Each description carries the catalogue number, price range, and record company. It also details the orchestra, conductor and any soloists. I prefer this to the Penguin Guide, as I think it's easier to read and has clearer text, when it comes to the individual works. If you have the Penguin Guide, you don't really need this one, but vice versa, if you have this one, don't buy the Penguin Guide. But of the two, this for me is superior.

A very good guidebook and essential reading for the serious collector - 5 stars.

Guide to Compact Discs and DVDs 2007 (Penguin Guide to Recorded Classical Music)
by Ivan March

4.0 out of 5 stars Penguin Guide to CD's YEARBOOK!, 23 Jan 2007
This is a great guide for anyone with an interest in Classical Music, wanting to source the best recordings. However, there is a catch - this is a YEARBOOK and you also need the main guide (which I didn't realise!), so it's not a complete reference of the current works available. This is a book that updates the main guide, with new releases since it's publication in 2005.

The guide itself is easy to read, with descriptions of CD's currently available, listing the best buys and best recordings. BUT, if you don't have the main guide it will be incomplete as a reference source - you need both and I cannot find it on Amazon. The Penguin Books website sell it at £25.00, plus £3.00 delivery charge.

So, if you are updating your main guide and want to stay current, this is an essential buy. If you don't have the main guide, I would advise against buying this edition, as you won't have a comprehensive guidebook - there is a lot missing! My advice is go for the Gramophone Edition "The Classical Good CD, DVD & Download Guide 2007" This is an excellent and FULL guide, covering all the available recordings you are likely to need. If you read Gramophone magazine you will find it easier to read than the Penguin guide as well.