ARRAY(0x992d0be8)

Profile for Rosemarie S > Reviews

Content by Rosemarie S

Rosemarie S (Brisbane, Australia)

mBraining: Using your multiple brains to do cool stuff
mBraining: Using your multiple brains to do cool stuff
by Grant Soosalu

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool stuff, 16 Jun 2013
I rarely give 5-star ratings for books as it seems to have become meaningless. Nowadays, books have to strike me as exceptional in some way to achieve 5-stars. & while this book is unusual, a tad quirky & informative in a fun way, it isn't exceptional according to my criteria.
That said, I think it is mostly a very good book that makes a strong attempt at pulling together much of the research about how the theory of a single-brain is flawed. I've given copies of the book to my children because it explains well something that has previously been kind of difficult to articulate i.e. that living only from our heads is a poor way to live.
Does the book have a weakness? Of course, nothing is perfect in an imperfect world. For me, the tendency to use stories that actually prove nothing beyond selective reporting and editing as proof of their theory was a tad irksome. As an example, using the story of Amelia Earhart to prove that she was living from her gut-brain is a flawed premise as we only know what the reporters reported, not the full content of her thoughts, feelings, & motivations. The story may well give some clues about where the reporters were coming from; it tells us little about how internally congruent the woman herself was.
If you have studied any of the deeper principles of traditional wisdom's, you might find yourself (as I did) going "so what? We know this already", before recognising that many folk don't know this stuff already, or only know it from the new-age/hippy-dippy perspectives.
If you are interested in helping people to achieve self-directed change, you will probably find the book very useful. & it might take a few readings of the book to grasp what the authors are proposing.
If you buy this book, you might also enjoy:
Self-Inquiry - Dawn of the Witness and the End of Suffering
The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life
Enlightenment Ain't What it's Cracked Up to be: A Journey of Discovery, Snow and Jazz in the Soul
Chakras, Yoga and Consciousness: Balancing Your Life
The Compassionate Mind (Compassion Focused Therapy)

Get the Guy: Use the Secrets of the Male Mind to Find, Attract and Keep Your Ideal Man
by Matthew Hussey

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than some, & still kind of lumpy, 13 Feb 2013
Matthew has written a more balanced book that some folk who choose this genre of telling women how to 'catch' a man. I give him full credit for that.

There is after all a fair amount of drivel & rubbish on the market, like for example Act Like a Lady,Think Like a Man, The Rules, Why Men Love Bitches, etc, etc; many of which are about playing childish & manipulative (pun intended) games.

He does pander to some stereotypes, despite there being strong evidence that the reverse of some of his statements are more likely to be true. For example - it tends to be men who fall in love first, and men are as, if not more, influenced by the oxytocin effect. For example, men & women are much more closely aligned in how often they think about sex & such stuff than the myths suggest Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences.

& some of his advice is just plain bad, & the reverse of what is advised when dealing with men with control issues - who can seem charming for quite a while. If your looking for a new relationship & not quite sure what went awry last time(s?) books to counter-balance this one and help you reframe & rethink yourself could include The Verbally Abusive Man, Can He Change?: A Woman's Guide to Deciding Whether to Stay or Go, Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men & Who's Pulling Your Strings?: How to Break the Cycle of Manipulation and Regain Control of Your Life.

Many of the hints & tips are realistic - no-one will accidentally wander through your living space & be beguiled by your charms, getting out & meeting people is key, having boundaries is essential, getting over your ex before looking for your next is usually wise. Plus, understanding that he may be as baffled & bemused as you by the process of getting from A to B to C (Aquaintance to Bonding to Courting) is something that applies to younger and older daters. After all, if you've been off the market for 5, 10, 15, 20, ... years you are an amateur and lack the necessary skills.

I give Matthew huge credit for this simple statement at the end of his book "Believe in your own value".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 1:14 PM BST

by Brené Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best book so far, 21 Oct 2012
My view is that this is Brene Brown's best book so far. If you are unfamiliar with her work, please go and watch her TED Talks.
Brene Brown has been on a journey, and she is both candid and engaging about that journey being about re-connecting with herself in order to connect better with those she loves.
She writes simply, and her writing has evolved as her understanding of her subject has grown.
You may find yourself deeply touched by her words. You may well find smiles and laughter at her humanity and humour.
A geat read. It will be on 2012 Xmas list as a gift to those who matter to me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2012 10:36 AM GMT

The New Manhood: The Handbook for a New Kind of Man
The New Manhood: The Handbook for a New Kind of Man
by Steve Biddulph

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, well worth buying, 30 Sep 2012
I loved this book. And I loved it because, in many ways, it could have been written about women just as much as it is written about men.
Somehow Steve Biddulph's earier works had passed me by; this was a casual buy at Brisbane Airport some month's ago. For me, it is a simple and extraorinarily heartwarming read.
I'm giving it as a gift to all the men who matter to me. I hope they'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Being Genuine: Stop Being Nice, Start Being Real
Being Genuine: Stop Being Nice, Start Being Real
by Thomas D'Ansembourg

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read, 20 Sep 2009
If good communication is important to you, this book is a must. The principles of empathy and authenticity that it advises are excellent; so many of us get empathy wrong and do comparison (I had something like that happen to me .....) instead.

A lovely book, based on the principles of non-violent communication.

I'd also recommend "Don't be Nice, be Real": Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others which is also based on non-violent communications.

Plus, Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves or Leadership and Self-deception: Getting Out of the Box or The Anatomy of Peace.: Resolving the Heart of Conflict are also great reading and advice on authentic communications in all areas of life.

Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
by C. Terry Warner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on self-accountability, 20 Sep 2009
I bought this book after buying Leadership and Self-deception: Getting Out of the Box and The Anatomy of Peace.: Resolving the Heart of Conflict. I think it is wonderful, it complements the other two books beautifully.

These are fact-based books on the benefits of being authentic and realistic in communications. About releasing efforts to control and truly working with people. Nothing spiritual or new-agey, just good basic communications and psychology principles. Great for improving all relationships at home or at work.

I also recommend the centre for non-violent communications principles in Don't Be Nice, Be Real: Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others or Being Genuine: Stop Being Nice, Start Being Real.

The Anatomy of Peace.: Resolving the Heart of Conflict
The Anatomy of Peace.: Resolving the Heart of Conflict
by The, Arbinger Institute

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 2 Sep 2009
I read this book after reading Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box and Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves. It opened my eyes as to how often I've 'been at war' with someone without recognising it.

As someone who has always believed that I see everyone as a person, it has been eye-opening to learn how flawed that self-perception has been.

This is probably one of the best 'personal development' books I've read. Simply because it doesn't hector or advise. It simply suggests and encourages and recognises that we all stumble and fail sometimes; the key is to simply get up, open our hearts and keep on trying.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
by Steve Harvey

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 13 Aug 2009
I was very disappointed in this book. In my view it is more than a bit old-fashioned and out-dated. This is the 21st Century, not 1950. While men might not have changed that much, women have certainly moved on. Make him wait 90-days for the 'cookie'? Ummm, 'ladies' what about your needs, wants and desires? Don't you matter? Why is being an authentic woman wrong? Surely, if you start out by being less than honest about who you are then you are compromising yourself and the future nature of the relationship from the outset.

I recommend:
Make Every Man Want You: or Make Yours Want You More): How to Be So Irresistible You'll Barely Keep from Dating Yourself!
or
How to Create a Magical Relationship: The 3 Simple Ideas that Will Instantaneously Transform Your Love Life

"Don't be Nice, be Real": Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others
"Don't be Nice, be Real": Balancing Passion for Self with Compassion for Others
by Kelly Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, encourages authenticity and self-care, 9 Aug 2009
This book was such a surprise and delight to me. I adore it. It is based on the principles of nonviolent communication; which at its simplest is communication that requests rather than demands. It contains snippets of the author's life and beliefs and practical examples and suggestions for improving communication of our needs while respecting and considering the needs of others. A totally 'selfish' book, that encourages us all to wake up and get real.

Pure & Simple Stretch [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Pure & Simple Stretch [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Karen Voight
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 27 July 2007
I bought this on video quite a few years ago. And replaced it with a DVD.

While the outfits look a little dated, the routine is timeless. Plus, it is good to see a man as one of the 3-people following Karen as she does the routine.

There aren't many 'stretch' offering on the market; fortunately, this one is excellent. It is nice and gently paced and very do-able. I think it is suitable for almost everyone. Good for someone seeking flexibility, as well as someone seeking to maintain it. It is exactly what the title implies a 'pure & simple' stretching routine.