Profile for Chris > Reviews

Content by Chris

Chris (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-faith World
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 24 July 2014
I haven't read a book like this before, but it ticks so many boxes for me and makes great sense, should be compulsory reading for all Christian ministers.

Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days: The Revised and Expanded 2011 Edition
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars really good, 7 Feb 2014
There is little doubt that this is a well researched book. You cannot doubt the author's commitment to searching out the truth, and meticulous research. Why have I not given 5 stars? The last chapters are dragged out, and her use of the constant naming "Laura Thompson" in the last chapter is clumsy, and the whole attack of other biographers seemed petty. Cade at one point gives anonymity to the person that spent 6 months with Max, why? This did not stand up with the rest of the biography. The idea that someone doesn't want something revealed and the author seems happy to go along with it, goes against what the rest of this biography is supposed to be about. I was also surprised that the rest of the book was a biography. The title and expectations isn't as simple as looking at her disappearance.

Anglican Difficulties: A New Syllabus of Errors (Contemporary Church Issues)
Anglican Difficulties: A New Syllabus of Errors (Contemporary Church Issues)
by Norman Edward

1.0 out of 5 stars pessimistic and unreal, 15 Aug 2013
Simply put I don't recognise the Church he writes about. Some of the best scholarship for the church has comes from the pens of evangelicals (Tom Wright, Alister McGrath, etc) and isn't the simplistic world Norman writes about. Although unstated I think it is obvious he was about to leave the Church of England, he is in the Gareth Bennett role, who 25 years ago wrote the infamous Crockford preface, a frustrated character who would have wanted to been a bishop. Ten years on from this book, the Church of England (which has its faults certainly) remains the boat I want to live in. Norman saddens me by trying to sink it, but there's much life left in it yet.

The Producers [DVD] [2005]
The Producers [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Nathan Lane
Offered by 247dvd
Price: 4.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Critically it may have flopped, but for a musical extraganza.., 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Producers [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I really can't get why people dislike this, there's lots of great musical numbers, big set pieces, some great comedy moments. It isn't very clever intelligent humour, which often isn't funny, but is a great way to spend a couple of hours.

The End of the Party
The End of the Party
by Andrew Rawnsley
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars All good but..., 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The End of the Party (Paperback)
By good, I mean the quality of writing and the high level of research that has gone into this, rather than necessarily a judgement on those described within its pages. I found this very interesting and readable. BUT (and I read the hard back edition, but there isn't an indication there's been new material in the paperback - I might be wrong) This went to the printers before the election of 2010, far better if it had been held back and waited until the election. Perhaps the publishers pushed for an early date for publishing, but a shame.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen [DVD]
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive but...., 23 Nov 2012
I quite enjoyed this film. I didn't find it as funny a film as some of the reviews implied, some gentle humourous scenes, but it wasn't going for laughs, perhaps it didn't mean to, but the reviews on it said it was. I found this a film of two halfs. The aspects of Salmon Fishing in the Yemen was really intriguing, made for a good film, and the scenery was spectacular. Great! The love story was weak, in my view, it was hard to feel any sympathy with the two main characters especially when one character gets a text pleading for him to not to leave and he simply texts back finishing his marriage with no seeming struggle or consequence, then she does struggle a bit with her relationships, but then predicatably decides, and doesn't have the bottle to tell the former suitor. The fact is I felt more sympathy for the minor characters, but the love story could have been lost, for me, without upsetting the film at all.

Jesus in Luke's Gospel: Book 2
Jesus in Luke's Gospel: Book 2
by Tim Shenton

3.0 out of 5 stars good in parts, 15 Nov 2012
This is a series of 4 books, and there are some excellent bits in all four, with stories and good teaching. Some of it, though, feels that it is forced to fit the Evangelical framework. The most obvious example is the story of the 2 sons (usually known as the Prodigal son) where the writer only focuses on the prodigal son, and does not mention the second son. This is as a slective use of the Bible as the liberals are accused of.

A Prickly Affair: The Charm of the Hedgehog
A Prickly Affair: The Charm of the Hedgehog
by Hugh Warwick
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars inspired, 1 Oct 2012
Some reviewers were unhappy about this book, but the clue to what was in it is possibly found in the hardback version subtitle 'my life with hedgehogs' - why they changed this for the paperback is a mystery. Anyhow I thoroughly enjoyed this - interesting, humourous, less an information book than a reflection on why his, and other, life/lives are so hedghog focused. Some great stories, and I recommend it. Half way through I spent an evening and then early next morning looking for hedgehogs, inspired and then deflated when I didn't see one - but will keep going..

Parade's End [DVD]
Parade's End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Price: 5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars good actors, apart from that...., 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
Let me start with the good aspects. The actors are always worth watching, especially Cumberpatch. Superb actor. The storyline failed to ignite for me, and I found the whole series excessively dull. I found that I didn't really care for the characters, and could have stopped watching half way through without feeling I'd missed out. Spending scene after scene about whether the main character was going to have/had a mistress. Roger Allam, an actor I have seen in many productions and enjoyed, was rather too close to Melchett in Blackadder goes forth.

The whole thing seemed to be trying to be clever and deep, but for me it failed. I'm sorry, as I would usually enjoy this kind of drama. If Cumberpatch has time on his hands, then much more Sherlock would be preferable to me, than this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2012 12:12 PM GMT

Quantum Leap
Quantum Leap
by Dean Nelson
Price: 7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but useful, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Quantum Leap (Paperback)
Firstly why I didn't rate this with 5 stars - some passages, at least in the edition I read, seemed not to have any spaces in, which meant the reader had to work a bit! Also the writers use American words, such as seminary instead of the more usual theological college (in England anyhow)and Brean is described as a tiny village, with population of 3000, that in my book is a small town. All that apart, anyone wanting to explore a book about how someone can hold science and religion together, and want to understand a little would do well to read this. It doesn't answer all the points of new atheism, but it does make an interesting read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7