Profile for Alice Anderson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dark Places
Dark Places

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing at times, 22 May 2015
This review is from: Dark Places (Kindle Edition)
I nearly gave up on this one early on as I struggled to empathise with the main character who seemed to be very self centred and uncaring. However, her journey towards finding out the truth about her family tragedy was quite engrossing and I ended up reading a wee bit at every opportunity. The violence was quite disturbing at times and mostly the characters were unlikeable, but a well told tale nevertheless. I would read another book by Gillian Flynn as I enjoyed Gone Girl as well.

Life After Life
Life After Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 12 May 2015
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book but strangely, I could understand why some readers wouldn't. It's so cleverly written and beautifully descriptive and, at the same time, compulsive - I couldn't wait for the next event to happen to Ursula and her family. The concept of life taking unexpected turnings and how the behaviour of individuals can affect and alter the future is intriguing. I've read several of Kate Atkinson books and this one did not disappoint.

Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)
Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast pace, 29 April 2015
This was the first Peter James book I'd read but it won't be the last. Easy reading with plenty of action, I didn't want to put it down. The police procedures were very detailed and it seems clear that the author has researched this thoroughly. There was just enough mystery to challenge and the twists were believable.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Skilled writing, 29 April 2015
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The writing was faultless in my opinion. I enjoyed the wide range of characters and how they interacted with each other. At times, I was shocked by some of the tragic events as the story unfolded. There was just enough black humour in amongst the action to lighten the tone.

Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1) (The Will Trent Series)
Triptych: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 1) (The Will Trent Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, 15 Mar. 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, written as a start to a series. The characters were well drawn and the plot had me guessing throughout. Some of the descriptions of the crime scenes were only just acceptable for my liking. This is the first book I've read by this author and it won't be the last.

The Art of Letting Go
The Art of Letting Go

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 15 Mar. 2015
I liked this simple tale told through different perspectives and with letters. It tells of the unexpected events that can shape and change lives.

When You Walked Back into My Life
When You Walked Back into My Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 4 Mar. 2015
This wasn't my usual kind of book but it sort of grew on me. A bit cheesy and predictable but it kept my attention to the end.

The Last Witness: A DCI Daley Thriller
The Last Witness: A DCI Daley Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, 5 Feb. 2015
An easy read with colourful characters and plenty of action. It's good to find a new author. Will definitely read more by him.

The Luminaries
The Luminaries

1.0 out of 5 stars Three times as long as it should have been, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Luminaries (Kindle Edition)
I did not enjoy this book and only persisted as it was a book group choice. I found it long winded and not nearly interesting enough. Admittedly it was well written, but in no way did the story hold my attention. I cared for none of the characters.

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very substantial, 4 Nov. 2014
I'm not sure why I chose to buy this book as it's not my kind of story - romance! Having said that, I finished it and didn't hate it. The characters were shallow; but the story had substance. It was several chapters too long for the content of the story.

I'd say that I wouldn't read another book by this author but I've already downloaded 'When you walked back into my life'. Oh well!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3