Profile for Just my opinion > Reviews

Content by Just my opinion

Just my opinion (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 19 Nov 2013
I had no idea what it was about when I bought it, I simply liked the title. It's one of the best books I have read recently and found I didn't want to put it down. The story is slightly absurd but that's its charm. An old man climbing out of a window, Winston Churchill, an elephant called Sonya you really do wonder what is going to happen next. The main character is immensely likeable and perhaps an element of that is that many of us have an older relative who tells stories that at times seem too unbelievable to be true and yet we enjoy the tale nevertheless. It made me look at elderly people in a slightly different way and reminded me that one day I will be telling stories that people doubt ever happened.

Eat Water Zero Calorie Pasta and Noodles 200 g (Pack of 5)
Eat Water Zero Calorie Pasta and Noodles 200 g (Pack of 5)
Offered by Superfooduk
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dieters, 19 Nov 2013
Shirataki noodles are a great product for dieters. They don't taste like noodles but with a nice sauce or in a stir fry they are a good way to fill up without the calories. They are really quick to make. I've found the best way to cook them is to rinse thoroughly with cold water, then with boiling water and finally microwave them for one minute before adding them to stir fry/pasta sauce. Personally I tend to buy shirataki noodles from a local Japanese supermarket where they are a bit cheaper but if you don't have one near you then Slim Noodles are exactly the same product.

My Secret: A PostSecret Book
My Secret: A PostSecret Book
by Frank Warren
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for teenagers (or for anyone really), 19 Nov 2013
I bought this for my teenage sister and she loves it. It manages to get the balance right between silly/strange confessions and the more heart wrenching ones allowing you to both laugh and really think about the things people go through and don't feel able to openly discuss.

Walden Farms Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
Walden Farms Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars You know you are on a diet..., 19 Nov 2013
You know you are eating "diet food" with this dressing. It isn't that nice and I won't be buying it again. Given zero calories just mean less than 5 calories per serving I much prefer to have a supermarket branded reduced calorie dressing for a fraction of the price and a much better taste. It is one of Walden Farm's better products but that really isn't saying much....

Salter 9077 BK3R Black Electronic Scale
Salter 9077 BK3R Black Electronic Scale
Offered by Bathroom Trends
Price: 18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best in the price range if a little temperamental, 19 Nov 2013
I have two sets of Salter scales and although these are pretty good I find the numbers fluctuate more on these and are less reliable (compared to calibrated scales at my doctors) than on my slightly more expensive compact analyser scale The fluctuations aren't massive (1-2lbs difference) so if you just want a general idea of your weight then these are great for the price. If you want something more reliable and exact then spend a little more.
You get what you pay for so I have no complaints. They also look quite good (certainly much better than comparably priced scales by other companies). I've had them about six months so far and the battery is still going strong. I don't think you would get better in the price range and I would always recommend Salter scales over other brands.

Braun Oral-B EB30-4 TriZone Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - Pack of 4
Price: 11.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, does what it says, 19 Nov 2013
The price was good, they fit my toothbrush and clean my teeth. I guess you can't ask for anything more than that!

PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, 6.5 oz (184 g)
PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, 6.5 oz (184 g)
Offered by STRATTON UK
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for dieters, 19 Nov 2013
Perfect for when you are on a diet to aid in portion control and to keep the calories down.The taste is great, not quite right but given the calorie reduction I think it is pretty impressive. PB2 is miles better than any other reduced calorie peanut butter I have ever tasted. My only complaint is the price. Even buying in bulk (it is also sold in 16oz packets) it is pricey, I still regularly buy it though because it allows me to get my peanut butter fix even while dieting.

1 x 500m Silver Satin Wedding Party Celebration Curling Balloon Ribbon
1 x 500m Silver Satin Wedding Party Celebration Curling Balloon Ribbon
Offered by CELEBRATIONS
Price: 2.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of ribbon for not a lot of money, 19 Nov 2013
The price was good given the length of the ribbon. It's perfect for presents. I use it to tie up cellophane bags filled with homemade sweets but I suspect I will be using it tie up Christmas presents too.

50 Clear Cellophane Sweet / Party / Gift Bags 3" x 1.5" x 7.5"
50 Clear Cellophane Sweet / Party / Gift Bags 3" x 1.5" x 7.5"
Offered by POLYBAGSTORES
Price: 2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars No frills, 19 Nov 2013
They are exactly as described and perfect for filling with home made sweet treats for gifts. I bought similar ones from Sainsbury's for a lot more money so I would say they were value for money.

Madness: A Bipolar Life
Madness: A Bipolar Life
by Marya Hornbacher

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest account of a life with bipolar, 19 Nov 2013
Marya Hornbacher differs from many memoir writers in the fact she is actually a talented writer. Too often I have read memoirs that cash in on the popularity of the genre and neglect writing style. She manages to write about all the deeply painful and unnerving moments with honesty and integrity. We see her as a person with a mental illness rather than a mental illness attached to a person. At no point does she ask for pity or play the victim, something I find a frequent theme in memoirs of mental illness. This is my second copy of this book, having given away my first to a friend. It's a book I return to repeatedly and I rank both 'Madness' and 'Wasted' (her memoir of her struggle with eating disorders) along with 'An Unquiet Mind' by Kay Redfield Jamison as the top autobiographical books about mental illness.Whether you are a sufferer, carer, friend, partner or professional I believe 'Madness' offers great insight into what it is really like to struggle with a mental health problem.

Page: 1 | 2