Profile for John Collins > Reviews

Content by John Collins

John Collins

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Beano Annual 2014 (Annuals 2014)
Beano Annual 2014 (Annuals 2014)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Oct 2014
Bought last Christmas for my 7 year old grandson, an avid reader. He read it from cover to cover several times, and 10 months later he still dips into it. 5 stars means I love it, and I love it because he loves it.

Besdata For Apple iPad mini (2nd) with retina display Magnetic Smart Cover Stand + Hard Back Case + Free Stylus Touch Pen + Free Screen Protector + Free Cleaning Cloth - Supreme Quality - Protects the Device - UK Stock - Red - PT3103
Offered by laptopadapterseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for light duties, 15 Oct 2014
Bought as a cover for my wife's iPad Mini. I have the Apple cover on my iPad and the difference in quality is obvious, with the Besdata much inferior. Of course the Apple product ought to be superior as it's far more expensive. I'm glad mine has the Apple cover as it often leaves the house, stuffed not the car door compartment of my car or in the pocket of my trousers. (The big pocket of 'safari' trousers - it'd never fit in ordinary ones!) I doubt the Besdata version is anything like as strong, but my wife's iPad mini is unlikely to leave the house, and this cover seems ideal for 'domestic' duties keeping dust at bay and providing light protection.

Apple iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi - Tablet - 16 GB - 7.9" IPS ( 2048 x 1536 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - silver(ME279B/A)
Offered by Pleasure Time Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 15 Oct 2014
Bought for my wife in the hope she'll stop asking me, "Can you look up …" on mine. Seems to be working and getting her back into using a computer after years of 'abstinence'.
I've had my own now since Christmas and love it. As a stand alone device I'd give it 5 stars but I've knocked one off simply because connectivity between it and my MacBook Pro is not as simple as I had expected, but otherwise it's great.

Dandy Annual 2014 (Annuals 2014)
Dandy Annual 2014 (Annuals 2014)

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson loves it, 7 Jun 2014
A Christmas (2013) present for my 7 year old grandson. 6 months later he's still reading it - when he's not reading the Beano annual.
Of course, neither are a patch on the annuals of 1958, but as a 65 year old I would say that, wouldn't I ?!

Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life (Repackaged) [DVD]
Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life (Repackaged) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sir David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandchildren love it, 7 Jun 2014
Bought as a birthday present for my 8 year old grandson and he's watched several times with his 6 year old sister. A quote from her to her friends, while sitting in a play boat in the local park and to the amazement of other parents, "Come on everybody, let's go to the Galapagos Isles!"
I think that says it all.

Hank
Hank

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but great, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Hank (Audio CD)
Got this from Morrisons - a pound more but cheaper when postage was included, and no waiting.

In many ways it's a typical Hank offering, being mainly a selection of instrumental covers of songs. What is slightly different is his treatment of the various tracks. The lowest rating reviewers seem to be critical of a jazz influence in the arrangements. This is a fair criticism if your preference is for a simple replay of the originals but with the vocals replaced by Hank's guitar.

With many of these arrangements the song is unrecognisable from its introduction, and the rhythm is often one we wouldn't associate with it. I wouldn't go so far as to call it jazz, but it is different, and in my view works very successfully.

Thinking of it from Hank's view, he's been playing now for 60 years. He's been playing Apache, Wonderful Land (the best 2 minute single ever recorded) et al for half a century. The majority of the covers tracks he's recorded over the past 25 years have simply been that - note for note covers (well, almost). Great though they were, who can blame him for trying something different. We Hank fans should appreciate that, get out of our 50 year old rut and enjoy this for what it is; different, but still Hank, and great music.

Panasonic SC-NE1EB-K 40W Wireless Audio with Bluetooth (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great, 9 Mar 2014
I bought this to replace a JVC micro hifi system, the CD player of which has conked out. The sound from the JVC unit is amazing, so now sits near my TV to provide the sound for that, saving me the cost of a sound bar, which it would anyway probably blow out of the water.

In a head to head with the JVC, which cost 4 times as much 20 odd years ago, the Panasonic unit would come second, but to my ears it still sounds great. The sound is smooth across the range. The bass doesn't rattle the furniture, so if that's what you want then this isn't the unit for you, but to my ears it blends perfectly. Volume too is more than adequate for average sized rooms, and to me anywhere near full volume is uncomfortable, though undistorted. Even at high volume there is no discernible background noise.
So for sound I'd give it 5 stars.

For looks too it gets 5 stars. It's sleek and slim, with a much smaller footprint than the micro system, and of course has a single lead to its mains supply, with no speaker wires. It does have an Aux input in case you need it, but that rather defeats the purpose of bluetooth. It can be wall mounted, but I have it standing on a shelf. Also the mains lead is simply that, not a brick of a power supply but a simple plug.

My slight problem is with the bluetooth. I will admit now that I'm very new to bluetooth, and until January I'd little idea what it was. Then for Christmas I got an iPad Mini, and on realising that it and my wife's car had got bluetooth I experimented and was amazed to find it worked! Hence the purchase of the Panny unit for indoors. So where's the problem? A big plus is that it can remember several units to link to, unlike some which can remember only one. Besides my iPad Mini I have a MacBook which also has Bluetooth, both of which the Panny unit has remembered. Not surprisingly it can't be connected to both at the same time, but instead of recognising when both are available and allow you to simply switch to the one you want, you have to use the remote to disconnect the one it recognises before getting it to recognise the device you want. Not very intuitive and I'm still having to refer to the instructions before I can switch from one to the other.

I had knocked a star off for that problem, but I guess the problem is really with me, and with practice I'll succeed without need to consult the instructions, so in anticipation of that, I've returned the star.

An excellent piece of kit.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 8:11 PM BST

The Light Fantastic: (Discworld Novel 2) (Discworld Novels)
The Light Fantastic: (Discworld Novel 2) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Same review as 'Colour of Magic'!, 9 Feb 2014
I haven't read it, but the title of this review is based on a 12 year old who did.
Bought this as a Christmas present for a young friend who is an avid reader of fantasy type books. His mother tell us he couldn't put it down, so I guess that must mean he loves it.

The Colour of Magic: The First  Discworld Novel: 1
The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel: 1
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 9 Feb 2014

Scalextric Start C3164 Pro Racing 1:32 Scale Twin Slot Car Pack
Scalextric Start C3164 Pro Racing 1:32 Scale Twin Slot Car Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Do the job, 9 Feb 2014
Bought these to replace the worn out 25 year old cars on my son's Scalextric set to keep the grand children happy for the days before Christmas.
On the plus side, they worked well, and the magnets within them made them stick to the track much better than the originals, but not so much as to make it too easy and remove the need for any skill.
On the negative side, rear spoilers are very flimsy and very quickly got damaged. Probably the result of trying to be accurate with the modelling at this scale, and with care it wouldn't happen, but care and 7 and 5 year olds don't really go together!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4