Profile for John Collins > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Diamant Wire Brush for Dance Shoes HW10910 Blue Size: One Size
Diamant Wire Brush for Dance Shoes HW10910 Blue Size: One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a suede brush!, 30 Dec. 2015
We have been using a wire suede brush for several years, but while that's perfect for suede it is far from effective on the soles of dance shoes. This brush on the other hand is very effective, quickly removing the over-smoothed surface created by hours of dancing.
Care must be taken in fact not to overdo the brushing. Excessive vigour would probably cause damage. Used gently or with reasonable pressure however it does a good job.
It comes with a useful plastic case which separates it from other contents of the dance shoes bag.
A good buy.

Spares2go Extra Long Universal Condenser Vent Hose Pipe for all makes and models of Vented Tumble Dryer (6m / 4")
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it would stay fixed in the door..., 27 Dec. 2015
Bought this to replace the original which had become badly split, mainly due to its being too short and having to be stretched to reach the window. This replacement is longer - far far longer! In fact it is too long, so I'd advise anyone in a similar position to take care with measuring your needs and buy an appropriate length. Mine takes several circuits of our utility room floor before exiting the window, while storing it all in the tumble dryer drum is a nightmare. Yes, I could cut it, but that would be a waste...
The deduction of a couple of stars is because of the difficulty in attaching the tube to the venting adaptor in the dryer door. The idea of course is that, just like the original tube, it screws into the thread of the adaptor. Sadly, just like the original, all too easily it falls out. I've found that the most effective way is to wind the tube so far in that some material is trapped when the adaptor is clipped into the door, but even this sometimes doesn't work. What is needed perhaps is something like a wide reverse jubilee clip which grips by opening out rather than closing up. Perhaps this has already been invented, in which case I hope someone can provide me with the link. If not, then remember I thought of it first. A 10% royalty would be very acceptable. 5% would be OK....

Dandy Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
Dandy Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
by DC Thomson Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect partner to the Beano Annual, 27 Dec. 2015
Couldn't drag my grandson away from this over Christmas, unless he put it down to pick up his Beano Annual. Whichever he put down his sister would pick up! The Beano Annual will get a similar review...

Beano Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
Beano Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
by DC Thomson Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect partner to the Dandy Annual, 27 Dec. 2015
Couldn't drag my grandson away from this over Christmas, unless he put it down to pick up his Dandy Annual. Whichever he put down his sister would pick up! The Dandy Annual will get a similar review...

Yessbon Proof-resistant wool felt Laptop Sleeve for Most Notebooks and Ultrabooks (15inch, Dark Gray)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Christmas present..., 27 Dec. 2015
The recipient says it's worth 5 stars. His MacBook fits perfectly, as does his phone. If he's got a pen I'm sure that will fit too.

Percussion Workshop HB8 Coloured Hand Bells (Pack of 8)
Percussion Workshop HB8 Coloured Hand Bells (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun for grandkids., 26 Dec. 2015
Having joined a handbell group earlier in the year we decided to introduce our grandchildren to the 'noble art' by buying these. We weren't disappointed. The bells have a pleasant 'tinkle' and are very well tuned.
One is of course limited to the music which can be played, which has to fit in a C to C octave, with no sharps or flats. There is some music which comes with the bells, but this is printed very small and the tunes are largely unfamiliar. However a bit of googling will lead to a small selection of tunes. One site provided free music which was colour coded using the same colours as these bells, so presumably they are standard colours.

Most importantly though, our grandchildren loved them, and we had lots of fun over Christmas!

Universal Chrome Plated Adjustable Extendable Oven Cooker Shelf Rack Grid Extra Strong Design
Offered by Astra Discount

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought one several years ago!, 26 Dec. 2015
The shelf provided a welcome addition to my oven on Christmas Day.

A star is lost because
a) there are no instructions, though the provision of 4 screws along with 4 holes into which each fits is perhaps a clue as to what to do, and
b) the shelf is smaller than it appears in the photo. This will be because it is designed to be adjustable for a wide range of oven sizes.
What you see in the photo is at its smallest position. It adjusts by its two side rails moving in or out, but of course there is no adjustment front to back, so in all probability this shelf won't be as deep as the one which came with your oven. In the photo the side rails are fully in, and the shelf appears to be a normal shelf in any oven, whereas in fact in that position it would fit only a narrow oven, perhaps 50cm. My oven is a standard 60cm wide, so the side rails have to be pulled out to fit, but that does leave a gap between the oven walls and the shelf. Just picture those slightly wider gaps on each side in the photo being even wider; no extra rails magically appear! If your oven is wider then this gap will be wider still.

When I adjusted the shelf I made it a little bit narrower than the gap so that it was not a tight fit, to allow for a bit of expansion when hot. I tightened up the screws, and it was ready to be used. In practice the reduced depth and the extra gap down each side did not prove to be a problem. I believe some have commented that it is not as heavy gauge and sturdy as the shelf in their ovens but I can see little difference - though my oven was Comet's cheapest, just before they went to the wall.

All in all, a good purchase, and certainly solves many problems in the oven.

KENWOOD HAND BLENDER WAND/PLASTIC SHAFT - HB600/650
KENWOOD HAND BLENDER WAND/PLASTIC SHAFT - HB600/650
Offered by Seaview Shavers

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect part, 23 Nov. 2015
The part was an exact replacement for the part it replaced, so the blender is back to working as it had been.
The part needed to be replaced because little internal clips responsible for holding the shaft in place had corroded. I suspect this was due to cleaning the part in the dishwasher where it spent much longer in a wet environment than if hand washed. I doubt I can be bothered to hand wash it though, so I'll have only myself to blame if I'm ordering a new one in ten years time!

Just William
Just William

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version is very strange, 29 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Just William (Kindle Edition)
Having read the William stories over half a century ago and really enjoyed them I decided to revisit my childhood and see if I would enjoy them again. I wasn't disappointed. Certainly the language has dated; it was old-fashioned to me even back in the 1960s. However, it's nothing a reasonably good teenage reader with a decent dictionary can't overcome, especially if they have an interest in the 1920s through to the 50s. It's wonderful how William, his family and friends age no more than about six months through those decades, although society, fashion, technology and events move on chronologically with the times in which the stories were written!
I would have given at least four, probably five stars for the book, but the Kindle version is a let down. First, the original illustrations are missing. There was always something darkly mesmerising about those. Second, for some strange reason whole sentences and paragraphs randomly appear in block capitals, often repeating text already written. Most disconcerting. I'd advise anyone wanting to read this book to pay a bit more and get the printed-on-paper version to enjoy it in a format William Brown would have understood.

Bosch 2609256A09 M 1131 L Saw Blade Wood for PFZ500E
Bosch 2609256A09 M 1131 L Saw Blade Wood for PFZ500E

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the Bosch PFZ500E Reciprocating Saw, 5 Jun. 2015
I got my Bosch PFZ500E reciprocating saw with the express purpose of trimming some tree branches of up to about 4" diameter. The saw itself comes with a wood cutting blade which is intended for finer cuts. Though a trial showed it to be very capable of cutting branches I thought it preferable to get the blade designed for that purpose.
I first made the mistake of getting the wrong type of bade. The PFZ500E has a quick blade release mechanism and needs the correct blade type to fit it. If the blade does not have a 'blunt end' the same as those which come with the saw, or look exactly the same as in the photo of these blades, then they are the wrong type, and will not fit.
These blades seem a tad expensive compared with those designed for other Bosch saws, but at least they will fit! And, as there are two blades in a pack, they are half the price one might have imagined.

As for effectiveness, it made fairly quick work of the half dozen branches I've cut so far - branches between 2" and 4" diameter - including cutting them into short logs. Not as quick as a chain saw, but it feels a lot safer, and is certainly much quicker and less hard work than a hand saw. The blade I used still feels as sharp as the unused blade, so I would think there's plenty of wear left in it. A good buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6