Profile for John Collins > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
SEBO 5093ER Electrostatic Fleece Bags for Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Pack of 8
SEBO 5093ER Electrostatic Fleece Bags for Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Pack of 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Tardises for dust!, 10 July 2016
We nearly didn't buy a Sego because a) it seemed expensive and b) of the prospect of constantly changing bags. When having another appliance repaired I asked the engineer what he'd recommend he said the only vacuum cleaner he'd recommend was the Sebo so we went for it. We've had it for several years now with no problem, whereas we'd have bought at least 2 others, if experience is anything to go by. That's point a dealt with.
Point b, the bags. I was concerned that every time I emptied a bag less cleaner would be the equivalent to changing a bag on a Sebo. Not true. The Sebo seems to be able to pack the dust into the bag so that when it's full it's as hard as a brick (well almost!) and when it's nearly full the cleaner still seems to work efficiently. When it's time to change it then the bag is easily removed and the plastic cap pressed into place so no dust can escape. And one bag lasts several months. Being careful with my cash I'd toyed with the idea of reusing the bags a couple of times, but it just wouldn't be worth the effort.

Anker PowerLine 6ft Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB Cable Sturdy Charging Cord for iPhone 5/5s/5c 6/6s Plus, iPad mini/Air/Pro iPod touch (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for original., 10 July 2016
Works just as well as the Apple original but being double the length makes it treble the usefulness.

Rev-Pro 8 Pcs  Replacement Electric Toothbrush Heads For Braun Oral B
Rev-Pro 8 Pcs Replacement Electric Toothbrush Heads For Braun Oral B
Offered by D&K ONLINE

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - with one slight problem., 10 July 2016
Much cheaper than Braun originals but seem to work as well and do the same job. At this price I may be tempted to change heads as often as Braun recommend.
The one negative, hence the 4 stars, is these heads don't seem to hold in the body as firmly as the originals do. Not a problem if you're aware of it.

Smart Bluetooth Bracelet Sports Pedometer Wristband Sleep Health Fitness Tracker for Android
Offered by Efine

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be excellent, 10 Mar. 2016
I ordered and received 2 pedometers a fortnight ago. The one for my wife worked perfectly, linking up to the Zeroner app on her iPad mini perfectly. It has never dropped connection in a fortnight, so on its own would have received 5 stars. However mine proved problematic.
Initial connection to my iPad mini was good, but soon it lost connection. Reconnecting seemed impossible until a popup message advised me to go to the iPad's settings, go to Bluetooth and get the iPad to 'forget' the pedometer, then go to the app and reconnect. This I did, and this seemed to work. This was fine for an hour or so, but then connection would be lost and I would have to start again. A minor annoyance, but then it became so that the pedometer wasn't recognised at all for a while, and then would start working again. By this time, bearing in mind that all this time my wife's pedometer was still connected perfectly to her iPad, I decided that mine was faulty. (I did think the fault might have been with my iPad, but I tried connecting it to other bluetooth appliances I have and there was no problem.)
An email to Liantech, who'd sold it to me resulted in a prompt reply suggesting I reset the the pedometer. I had already tried that, to no avail, but did it again on the off chance, but still no joy. One more exchange of emails resulted in their deciding that the pedometer was faulty, and they promptly sent me a new one. 5 stars to Liantech for excellent service.
The new one seemed to connect perfectly to begin with, but then it seemed to be suffering from the same problem as the first.
After more playing around though I believe I may have discovered the problem. The Zeroner app will sometimes tell you a pedometer is not connected when in fact it is.
Photo 1 shows the 'Sports' screen of the app, showing the pedometer is disconnected, which it was.
Clicking on the top left icon takes you to a menu page where you chose the 'Device Connection' item.
This takes you to the Device Connection page.
Photo 2 You should see your pedometer listed. Press on the list (Not the 'Unpaired' circle at the top). You should then see
Photo 3. When the circle thing stops rating it will very likely still show your device as Unconnected. IGNORE IT!!!!! Tap the icon in the top left hand corner - the arrowhead in a circle - which will take you back to the sports screen.
Photo 4. You will then see your pedometer IS connected, and busy clocking up the 1000s of steps you've done since last time.

Another thing I've noticed is that losing connection and not being able to reconnect may be due to the battery being fairly well drained, but not enough stop the device working. When the battery does die there is no display and it doesn't clock up steps. If well charged the Bluetooth range can be quite long, e.g. from a bedroom, through a closed door and downstairs to the room underneath.

The instructions are very small, and good eyesight is required. I took photos of mine so I could view them more easily. When I could read them, they were pretty difficult to understand. I think this is mainly due to the writer's first language not being English. I admire greatly anyone who can speak a foreign language, but really any instructions should at least be checked by a native speaker of a language they are written in, and edited for greater clarity. I think there's a strong case too for having a far more expanded instruction booklet available as a download.

As a stand-alone pedometer the device works well, giving an indication of the number of steps taken, the distance walked and the calories burned. I've no idea as to the accuracy of the latter two. Even the former is perhaps a bit suspect; I did wear both devices on the same wrist for a day or two, and at around 5000 steps there was about 400 steps difference. If it's scientific accuracy you're after then perhaps you won't get it here, but as a fair indication of the activity you have done it's not unreasonable.
It doesn't record minor movements of your arm, but if you want to cheat, take up knitting. My wife recorded around 2000 one evening sitting, knitting. I doubt, energy wise, 1 stitch = 1 step...

The Zeroner app is necessary for setting the time on the pedometer- you can use it as a watch, recording your sleep patterns over night, surprisingly accurately, and also using GPS to record a route walked. I tried that just once, and found it recorded my walk round the block taking a short cut through a dozen back gardens and over a school's sports field. I doubt I'll try it again carrying my iPad , but if I ever get a smart watch then maybe I will.

So, overall, I think a 4 star rating is fair, unless long term use proves different.

UPDATE: I thought the pedometer had again lost Bluetooth contact with the Zeroner app, but I think I've worked out that problem. If the pedometer is inactive for a while it enters a sleep mode, during which it is recording your sleep patterns but Bluetooth connection is switched off. You can tell which mode it's in when you press the button once to see the time. In 'day' mode when you're active, beside the time display you will see the battery charge icon above which is the Bluetooth icon. When it switches to 'sleep' mode, which could be if you're sitting watching TV in the evening, the battery icon changes to a bed, and the Bluetooth icon disappears. You can try all you want to connect to the app but nothing will happen.

Oh for a decent set of instructions...
Comment Comment | Permalink

Epson EcoTank ET-2550 - multifunctionals (Inkjet, 1200 x 2400 DPI, A4, Colour, Colour, Colour)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, 9 Mar. 2016
I bought this to replace my Epson Stylus Photo R300. That had cost me £100 several years ago, but over Christmas I committed the cardinal sin of leaving it switched on, unused for over a week. This wrecked the print heads ( I tried everything to clear them but nothing worked) and replacement print heads would be over £180. Sadly, replacing it became a no brainer.
What to replace it with? Well, the over 200 empty cartridges, which nobody wants to recycle so are stuck in my garage, gave me the answer. The ET-2500 seemed the answer. Then I spotted the ET-2550 at Currys/PC World for the same price, so that became a second no-brainer, and I went for it.
That was just over a month ago, so I've had time to evaluate it a bit.

First, I've deducted a star for the terrible time I seemed to have connecting it. That was in all likelihood my fault, but the R300 had been a doddle several years ago and I was expecting this to be even easier, but it wasn't. I tried absolutely everything, but nothing seemed to work. It even lulled me into a false sense of security by working perfectly one day, only to lose connection the next. However, all is now sorted, though I don't know how, and everything is hunky-dory.

Filling the ink tanks was not a problem. I put some paper towel on my bench and some gloves on my hands just in case, but not a drop was spilt.

Once I'd got the connection sorted out printing was very straight forward too. It's ready to print much faster than the R300 was. I can't say actual printing is much quicker or slower, but there's nothing in it to give me concern.

I was concerned that the R300, with its photo quality 6 tank system, was providing a high benchmark unattainable by the ET-2550, but I was pleasantly surprised. If I were given a mixed pile of photos printed by both I doubt I would be able to sort them very easily. One slight drawback is the paper it will take. It does not like heavyweight premium photo quality paper. The manual implies 90gm paper to be the thickest it should have. I've found it seems to be quite happy with 190gm, but I found it took a lot of 'persuading' to take 220gm paper. Having read the manual I understand why so I'll avoid that paper in future.
Some reviewers have been disappointed that it won't print borderless prints, and I can confirm that it won't. In fact I found the R300 would print borderless only from an SD card, and never from the computer.
The ET-2550 will print from an SD card, but, like the R300, only JPEGs. The ET-2550 has the advantage over the R300 in having a little screen for viewing and choosing the photos. Yes, it is a LITTLE screen, but it is adequate. You can also use that screen to specify several different sizes of paper, unlike the R300, where the choice was A4 or 6x4.

All in all I'm very impressed with the quality of the printing. I haven't done a lot of printing yet, but I'm pretty sure, had I done it on the R300, some of the cartridges would be between 0.25 and 0.50 empty by now. I've not made a discernible impression on the 4 tanks of the ET-2550 yet.

In the long run I think it will be worth the outlay.

Oh, and the scanner is very easy and effective to use. You can scan only 1 sheet at a time but that's fine for my purposes. I already have an Epson scanner - also single sheet but with the facility to scan slides and negatives - and it's nice that the Epson Scanner software which came with that automatically recognises the ET-2550 and allows me to chose between the two.

I accidentally sent this review to the European version of this printer. I can see the attraction of that version as at the moment it's considerably cheaper on Amazon, but I believe a drawback of that version is its lack of a 3 pin UK power plug, and also Epson's offer of £30 cash back and a 3 year warranty doesn't apply. The latter looks good, but it actually offers one free replacement printer if yours conks out, so if you're expecting 3 years of repairs its doesn't offer that. Better than a poke in the eye though.

Epson ECOTANK ET-2550 A4 INK MFP 3IN1 33 PPM, C11CE91402 (A4 INK MFP 3IN1 33 PPM)
Offered by Pearls Books

5.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, 8 Mar. 2016
That was just over a month ago, so I've had time to evaluate it a bit.

In the long run I think it will be worth the outlay.

Oh, and the scanner is very easy and effective to use.

Oops, I've just realised I've posted this for the European model, rather than the UK version, which is what I've got, so I have got the UK power plug, and I qualified for the £30 cash back from Epson. If I can I'll move this review...

PS after a few months use, I've decided to add the star I'd deducted for the problems I'd had with wifi connection. I've got it sorted, and as no one else has highlighted this as a problem I guess I must admit the fault was mine (perhaps!).
I also wanted try to balance the two one star reviews, which are unfairly reviews of the 'buying experience' rather than the printer.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2016 10:38 PM GMT

Diamant Wire Brush for Dance Shoes HW10910 Blue Size: One Size
Diamant Wire Brush for Dance Shoes HW10910 Blue Size: One Size
Offered by Shoes4Dancers

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a suede brush!, 30 Dec. 2015
We have been using a wire suede brush for several years, but while that's perfect for suede it is far from effective on the soles of dance shoes. This brush on the other hand is very effective, quickly removing the over-smoothed surface created by hours of dancing.
Care must be taken in fact not to overdo the brushing. Excessive vigour would probably cause damage. Used gently or with reasonable pressure however it does a good job.
It comes with a useful plastic case which separates it from other contents of the dance shoes bag.
A good buy.

Spares2go Extra Long Universal Condenser Vent Hose Pipe for all makes and models of Vented Tumble Dryer (6m / 4")
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it would stay fixed in the door..., 27 Dec. 2015
Bought this to replace the original which had become badly split, mainly due to its being too short and having to be stretched to reach the window. This replacement is longer - far far longer! In fact it is too long, so I'd advise anyone in a similar position to take care with measuring your needs and buy an appropriate length. Mine takes several circuits of our utility room floor before exiting the window, while storing it all in the tumble dryer drum is a nightmare. Yes, I could cut it, but that would be a waste...
The deduction of a couple of stars is because of the difficulty in attaching the tube to the venting adaptor in the dryer door. The idea of course is that, just like the original tube, it screws into the thread of the adaptor. Sadly, just like the original, all too easily it falls out. I've found that the most effective way is to wind the tube so far in that some material is trapped when the adaptor is clipped into the door, but even this sometimes doesn't work. What is needed perhaps is something like a wide reverse jubilee clip which grips by opening out rather than closing up. Perhaps this has already been invented, in which case I hope someone can provide me with the link. If not, then remember I thought of it first. A 10% royalty would be very acceptable. 5% would be OK....
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2016 7:49 PM GMT

Dandy Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
Dandy Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
by DC Thomson Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect partner to the Beano Annual, 27 Dec. 2015
Couldn't drag my grandson away from this over Christmas, unless he put it down to pick up his Beano Annual. Whichever he put down his sister would pick up! The Beano Annual will get a similar review...

Beano Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
Beano Annual 2016 (Annuals 2016)
by DC Thomson Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect partner to the Dandy Annual, 27 Dec. 2015
Couldn't drag my grandson away from this over Christmas, unless he put it down to pick up his Dandy Annual. Whichever he put down his sister would pick up! The Dandy Annual will get a similar review...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6