Profile for M. W. Legon > Reviews

Content by M. W. Legon

M. W. Legon

Page: 1 | 2
Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 6 x 460g (Six Pack)
Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 6 x 460g (Six Pack)
Offered by Coconoil

5.0 out of 5 stars Many uses., 16 Sep 2014
I use it on toast as a butter replacement. Lovely with marmite or even marmalade. Also use it as an all-over moisturiser sometimes straight out of the shower. Very quick delivery (within 2 days) when ordered from Coconoil.

I buy in a 6-pack to reduce costs. When it arrives, I transfer it into 2 large kilner jars and store them in the back of the fridge. I dispense some into another glass jar (~400g) and keep that out of the fridge for daily use. Would suggest storing it in the fridge during hot weather if you don't think you'll have finished it all within a year.

NB: I think that the 'non-organic'/original coconoil is essentially the same product but from farmers who can't afford the organic accreditation.

Wahl Multi Cut Mains Dog Clipper Set & Instructional DVD Black
Wahl Multi Cut Mains Dog Clipper Set & Instructional DVD Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked on very dense, wolly coat., 16 Sep 2014
I use it without any of the attachments on my dogs, although I don't place the clippers against the skin as the resulting cut would be too short. One of my dogs has extremely dense curly/woolly fur and these clippers do do the job. I was even able to clip through matted fur by going very gently and slowly, using one hand to stretch out the mat, and the other to guide the clippers through it.

Although my dog had never been exposed to clippers before (at 4 years old - previously scissor-cut), due to the surprisingly quiet nature of the clippers, going slowly and gently, allowing her to sniff the clippers when she wanted to, and rewarding her generously when the cut was over, by the 3rd time I used them on her, she was so relaxed she fell asleep.

Free sharpening is provided by sending the blade off to London. It hasn't been necessary yet. I did purchase the Wahl Clipper Oil and Hygiene Spray Maintenance Set to help clean it and keep it in tip-top condition. This really is an excellent set of clippers.

If it works on my dog's extremely thick, dense coat, I believe it will work on any coat (without using the attachments). Hope this helps.

25 x 20ml Sterile Saline Eye & Wound Wash Pods
25 x 20ml Sterile Saline Eye & Wound Wash Pods
Offered by DK Medical Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars These are very useful. I use them to, 16 Sep 2014
These are very useful. I use them to:
1. Rinse my sore eyes when suffering from hay-fever during the summer (much less expensive than buying eye-wash in a large bottle).
2. Clean any wounds/cuts my dogs get (I use hibiscrub first to disinfect the wound, and then saline for any further cleaning required)
3. Rinsing anything (a small snail!!) out of my dog's eyes. Because of the design of the pods, it was possible to squirt directly from the bottle into the corner of the eye where the snail was with the momentum of the liquid helping to push the snail out.

Quick tip: I find it helpful to warm the bottle up by sticking it in my pocket to get it up to body temperature first before using it particularly to rinse my or my dog's eyes - less of a shock and easier to keep eyes open if the saline is tepid.

Hope this helps.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars These are lovely, 2 May 2014
I'm addicted! I'm ashamed to admit that I can get through a 1kg bag of these in a couple of days. My dogs love it too and if he's lucky, my husband might get a few bits as well.

These are dried/dehydrated mango slices, but most of the slices are also chewy - sometimes dried fruit can be quite brittle, not the case here. The slices are flexible so although some of them are quite large, you can manage to fold a piece into your mouth and chew it at one (although I usually just rip a chunk off with my teeth!).

I've been trying to stay off gluten (wheat, oats, rye) this spring/summer as I noticed an improvement in my hay fever symptoms last year when I had a gluten-free trial period. These are a really tasty, relatively healthy alternative to biscuits and other snacks I would otherwise be consuming.

I'd recommend these to pretty much anyone. (According to the company) they've been dehydrated at a temperature below that which kills some vitamins, minerals and enzymes so these should be okay for anyone on a raw food diet as well.

The only down side is that these have ruined me for other brands of dried mango. While waiting for the latest order of these to be delivered, I bought a bag of Waitrose's own dried mango which I used to like, and really noticed the difference in the taste...so much so that my husband was actually given the bag of mango to finish off. This might be due the preservatives present (usually sulphur dioxide) in Waitrose's (and many other brands of) dried mango.

I just hope the price doesn't go up following positive reviews, and that they don't stop doing the 1kg bags. In fact, I'd definitely be interested in buying a 2 or 3kg bag. It would also be nice if the delivery time for this was a bit quicker. Overall though, a very lovely product!

Marigold Marigold Braised Tofu 225 g (Pack of 4)
Marigold Marigold Braised Tofu 225 g (Pack of 4)
Offered by vitality.shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like tuna, doesn't taste like it, 11 Feb 2014
I was very pleasantly surprised by this tofu. I expected to find it horribly soggy and unpleasant but that wasn't the case at all.

On opening the tin, it looks very much like tinned tuna but isn't at all like it in taste. I've had it a number of ways already but my favourite so far has been in a green salad and a dressing.

I've already ordered 4 more and can see this becoming something we have quite often. Even my dogs have had a small sampling of it and now come running whenever they hear the tin being opened!

Very tasty!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2014 6:33 PM BST

De'Longhi KG49 90g Electric Coffee Grinder
De'Longhi KG49 90g Electric Coffee Grinder

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for making ground flaxseed/linseed, 11 Feb 2014
I bought this to grind my own flaxseed. Instead of continuing to buy the hideously expensive pre-milled organic linseed/flaxseed, I bought a large amount of organic linseeds here on Amazon and simply grind a small amount each week which I keep in an airtight container. The results are lovely and actually smells far fresher and more appetising that the pre-milled stuff.

The grinder works very well. A few reviewers have complained that it takes too much pressure/effort to push the top down to make it grind, but I haven't found that to be the case at all (I'm a woman in my 30s).

It is able to grind my linseeds very finely and is easy to clean. The instructions do say that you mustn't immerse the container containing the blade in water, but I must confess that I do. I simply detach it from the rest of the machine by twisting it out, and rinse it under hot water. I do make sure that it is thoroughly dry with no remnants of moisture left in the casing before returning it to the grinder (leaving it upturned on the radiator overnight usually does the job here).

It doesn't take up too much space on the counter, and is quite lightweight so is easy to pick up and move into/out of a cupboard. A very good grinder!

Genuine Patented-24 extra long barrel curls Curlformers styling kit
Genuine Patented-24 extra long barrel curls Curlformers styling kit
Offered by Curlformers

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice curls without heat, 11 Feb 2014
I ordered these as well as as the 40 Super Long Spiral Curls Curlformers Styling Kit. I have very frizzy hair which is prone to dryness, and used these on damp hair with a bit of coconut oil and shea butter smoothed on.

The results were lovely - very shiny and smooth. It does take quite a while for my hair to dry with these in (about 16 hours) so only do these when you know you won't need to leave home for a while.

One tip is to make sure that you don't attach them at the very roots of your hair (leave a little gap of about half an inch) - it will make trying to sleep with these in a LOT more comfortable.

I really think these will work on any hair type. If you've got extremely thick, heavy and long hair you may find the results don't last as long but otherwise I do think they will work well for anyone.

The reason for 3, not 5 stars is that the styling hooks provided are far too short for these curls. I ended up having to use the styling hooks from the other kit (Super Long Spiral Curls) I ordered. If I hadn't happened to have the other styling kit, putting these Curlformers in would easily have taken me twice as long.

I highly recommend that Curlformers provide the longer hooks with these instead of the ones they currently provide in the kit.

It would also be nice if there could have been more Curlformers in the kit (more like 28 instead of 24) as I found I had to made some of my hair segments a little larger than I'd have liked.

Otherwise, a good product which I would recommend if you're looking for a way to curl your hair without heat.

Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Offered by HometownTV UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Working on Ubuntu 12.04, 11 Feb 2014
I ordered this and TP-Link TL-WDN3200 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter after recently being upgraded to a Virgin Media 30mg fibre-optic package for which we were send a dual band (2G and 5G) super hub.

The reason I chose this adaptor was because it's a nano-sized adaptor and although not being dual band (unable to see a 5G wireless connection - and the reason it gets 4, not 5 stars) size was the most important factor for me (as I mostly work on a laptop any anything bigger would get in the way and be knocked a lot).

I was able to get this working without too much trouble on Ubuntu 12.04. I found some very helpful instructions online and am going to try to link to the page. Unfortunately Amazon remove hyperlinks so I'm going to stick some spaces in the link to try to get around this. If you do use this, remember to remove any spaces when you copy and paste the link: r-statistics . com / 2011/11/edimax-ew-7811un-usb-wireless-connecting-to-a-network-on-ubuntu-11-10/

Hope this helps anyone looking for an adaptor for their Ubuntu system.

TP-Link TL-WDN3200 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
TP-Link TL-WDN3200 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Working on Ubuntu 12.04, 11 Feb 2014
We were recently upgraded to a Virgin Media package (30 mg broadband) for which we were sent a dual band super hub (2G and 5G). Our current (integrated) wireless cards weren't up to using this new technology so we needed new adaptors. After doing much research online, I choose this adaptor because other reviewers said it worked with Ubuntu without any configuring.

We've got 2 computers running Ubuntu (12.04) and I wasn't able to just plug in and have it working on either of them, but was fortunate to find instructions to get it working without too much trouble (only really need to know how to navigate around an Ubuntu terminal).

One slight drawback for me (hence 4, not 5 stars) is the size of this adaptor. I'm mostly on a laptop and this adaptor will get in the way and be knocked a lot - I wasn't able to find a nano-sized adaptor with dual band functionality.

I'm going to try to link to the instructions I found. As Amazon remove links in reviews, I'm going to stick some spaces in the link to try to get around this. If you do use the link, make sure you remove any spaces in the following link: linux-hardware-guide . com / 2013-05-30-tp-link-tl-wdn3200-n600-dual-band-wifi-adapter-24ghz-300mbps-usb-2-0

I downloaded the modified version of the drivers (which don't require you to do any editing of the files yourself) called DPO_RT5572_LinuxSTA_2.6.0.1_20120629_EDITED.tar.bz2.bz2

After that, it was just a case of navigating to the folder in question in the terminal window and
1. Unpacking the file: "tar xvf DPO_RT5572_LinuxSTA_2.6.0.1_20120629.tar.bz2.bz2"
2. Navigating into the newly created folder: "cd DPO_RT5572_LinuxSTA_2.6.0.1_20120629"
3. Making the installation: "sudo make" (and entering the administration password)
4. Installing the make: "sudo make install"

Testing our speed on speedtest shows we're getting the full speed (and a bit more) wirelessly through this adaptor.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a dual band adaptor for their Ubuntu system.

Meridian Organic Pure Blackstrap Molasses 350 g (Pack of 6)
Meridian Organic Pure Blackstrap Molasses 350 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 12 July 2013
I was a bit worried about ordering this given that (at time of ordering) the only review for the 6-pack suggested this to be a terrible product. At only £6 for 6 jars of unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses which wasn't only Organic but Fairtrade as well however, I decided to risk it. (If the worst came to the worst, I planned to use it for cooking during which the heat would melt any granules).

Anyway, I'm so glad I took the risk as the molasses is perfect!! No crystals or granules here and tastes exactly as I remember molasses tasting as a child. It's lovely and rich and smooth. I will definitely order this again and based on my experience of it so far, would certainly recommend others looking for Blackstrap Molasses to give it a try.

Page: 1 | 2