Profile for Athena53 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Soldier's Wife
The Soldier's Wife

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 19 Feb. 2013
I feel Trollope is really on form with this novel. She attempts to bring the stresses and strains of army life to those of us who have little idea of what it can be like. It may not be entirely accurate if viewed from the inside, but her delicate touch brings out the sheer despair of the main characters Dan, Alexa and Isobel. I also liked the way Dan's father and grandfather had their own memories of active service and therefore their own ways of dealing with the somewhat intractable problems thrown up. I was sorry to get to the end, but I didn't feel it was a rushed ending. I found myself wishing the characters well for the future.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful and sensitive, 13 Feb. 2013
This book was a delight from start to finish. It was chosen by my reading group and I am looking forward to discussing it with my friends.
We are taken along with Harold on his pilgrimage, which is of course, a journey of self-discovery, not only for him, but also for his wife left behind in Devon. I found myself urging him on, telling him to ignore the hangers-on, and for goodness sake to get a map! His refusal to wear new boots was perhaps reminiscent of pilgrims of the Middle Ages, and his insistence on self-sacrifice to expunge his guilt.
There are very sad and poignant moments when we are allowed in to Harold's past and mourn with him.
This is an amazing book in which every reader will discover something about themself too

A Time for Silence
A Time for Silence

4.0 out of 5 stars haunting, 7 Feb. 2013
This book was quite a surprise. In parts it is extremely dark and haunting but the present day bits are much lighter and so sometimes appear less well crafted. The almost sparse text in the welsh parts serves to underline the cold, starved lives of the characters. It is salutory to note that the 'older' parts of the book are set in 1948 - very recent history but a very different time - especially in rural Wales.
There seem to be many books around at the moment that are set in this 'dual-time' mode, but in this case it seems to work well. I also appreciated that Robert's learning difficulties were not laboured but played a very important part in the whole.
I was also secretly pleased that I did guess 'whodunit'.
Haunting but without the ghosts.

The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy Book 2)
The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars lewis 2, 14 Mar. 2012
I was looking forward to the sequel to The Blackhouse and was not disappointed. I'm not generally a fan of crime novels, but the slightly diffident hero Fin appeals to me and I want to know more about him as well as trying to solve the mystery before it's revealed. As a family historian I enjoyed the mystery surrounding one of the main characters (whom we had met in the earlier novel). By far the most outstanding thing about both these Lewis novels is the quality of description. Peter May manages to create a clear picture of the chill barren-ness of Lewis without sentimentality. The characters are not loveable but real people stuggling in a harsh environment.
I hope the third in the trilogy won't disappoint.

Around Countesthorpe Revisited (Britain in Old Photographs)
Around Countesthorpe Revisited (Britain in Old Photographs)
by Ann True

4.0 out of 5 stars my history, 5 Feb. 2012
Bought this because a relative told me some of our ancestors are in it. Amazing to see someone i'd only heard of through census data - great great grandfather! A good idea to include a number of different villages in this volume.

Swan STM100  Teasmade White
Swan STM100 Teasmade White

4.0 out of 5 stars it really does make tea!, 14 Nov. 2011
This purchase was a replacement for an earlier version bought 2 or 3 years ago. Improvements include a self-dimming clock that doesn't dazzle the bedroom at night. It does what it says on the box - and I just hope it lasts longer than the last one.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindling along, 21 Jun. 2011
I thought long and hard about buying a Kindle, but I'm really pleased I took the plunge. I consulted several (girl)friends who were all very positive too. It's easy to carry around, easy to read and so very easy to order books - even in bed on a saturday morning! Didn't buy the 3G version because I thought I could be organised enough to order enough reading matter before a holiday. The reading samples are a great idea. I also love the fact that I can send pdfs and photos to it and search google/wikipedia. I'm sure it does a lot more than I've discovered, but I'll be happy pressing more buttons in time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3