ARRAY(0xad8b65b8)

Profile for C. Hilder > Reviews

Content by C. Hilder

C. Hilder (Manchester UK)

Foxtrot [VINYL]
Foxtrot [VINYL]
Price: 17.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album! Vinyl copy let down, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Foxtrot [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Like almost everyone else here I have grown up with this album and would not wish to be without it for long. Having recently re-acquired a turntable it was on my 'must have' list to buy again in vinyl. I am disappointed in the mix of the copy I bought which seems very muddy. Worse to my ears than my CD version. The copy I got was not new! even though I thought it was when I bought it. It's going back and I will try again making sure this version is actually new and the latest mix.

Reusable Hot Cold Heat Ice Compress Therapy Gel Pack
Reusable Hot Cold Heat Ice Compress Therapy Gel Pack
Offered by Be Well
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 19 April 2012
I have just received this. I found the photograph misleading. The picture lead me to think that it is a product designed for the waist but actually it is for the knee with an extension strap to allow it to go around other bits of the body. This means that you can only receive coverage in one relatively small area. To emphasis this point, the instruction manual focuses on the use of the product for the knee not the back or the waist. As another reviewer notes, if you were a larger person you would really struggle to get this around the waist. The product is expensive for what it is.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable
Price: 6.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing - on more than one level, 31 Jan 2012
This book is written by two people who really seem to know their subject. They provide what seems to me to be a really well argued and informed thesis for why we should adopt a low-carb lifestyle. I had to go over some of the technical bits more than once but in general the book is a good read, I finished it in three sessions. I also found it very useful in taking me on from where Gary Taubes' 'Diet Delusion' ('Good Calories, Bad Calories' in the US) and 'Why we get fat' left off. After reading these three books I feel that I understand very clearly the politics of food and the mechanisms of good diet (not 'diet' as in 'dieting' but diet as in what you eat), how to eat well and how to keep my weight down. This book advocates a diet with more fat and higher salt levels than other authors (such as the otherwise excellent John Briffa) and has shown me where I can improve my regime and overcome one or two minor niggles which I do not remember taking in before. It really is a different perspective to what we have been brought up with for the past 30 - 40 years and as the authors note; if you are not prepared for that mind shift you won't get the most from it!

The book is reasonably priced as a Kindle book but for some reason seems to be very expensive as a paper book - don't understand that but I am happy with the Kindle option myself.

I have lost > 50lbs (5 trouser sizes!) in approx 18 months on a low carb diet, my numerous allergies have dissapeared along with my waist and I genuinely feel healthier than I have for years.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2013 7:24 AM BST

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris, 30 Dec 2010
I recommend this book if, like me, you have spent time, effort and money trying to figure out how to remove your excess weight and have better all-round health.

This book is the second from Gary Taubes that I have read. The first `Good Calories, Bad Calories' (or The Diet Delusion here in the UK) is long, at nearly 600 pages, expects a knowledge and understanding of science, is occasionally repetitive and sometimes poorly edited, but makes the point about the wrong road we have been following in pursuit of weight loss and better health extremely well to my mind.

This is a shorter book and took a lot less time to read. It is clear to me that Taubes has tested and honed his arguments and has learned how to get them across better. To my mind the book flows easily. There were one or two technical sections but he led me up to these with background so by the time I got there I was able to understand the point he was making. In GCBC this was not the case and there were some sections that I didn't `get' and had to read a number of times to understand.

The book acknowledges but does not deal with the consequences to the environmental and moral questions that it raises. This is left for others to debate. Here the science behind fat metabolism is the focus of attention.

There is new information in here too. There is a description of Insulin Resistance that I found very useful in furthering my understanding. The unanswered question in the whole book for me is: Can Insulin Resistance be `cured' and if so how long does it take?

`Why We Get Fat...' is not really a diet book. Since starting the diet as prescribed here, though, I have lost 28lbs without hunger or any discomfort.

Thank you Gary for this book and for your perseverance in dealing with the establishment and with the established Diet writers who seem to me to be more interested in defending their own fiefdoms than in solving the issues of weight, diabetes, heart disease and cancer that is the natural outcome of this work. I hope that politicians and the medical establishment will read the book with an open-mind and change the message to benefit us all. Now where's the Lard...

Update August 2013:
It is now three years since I stared my low carbohydrate diet. In that time I have been able to continue to lose weight gradually. I have improved my blood markers (I cannot remember them all - but all the ones that count, LDL, HDL,Triglycerides, blood pressure,etc.) . Over the three years I have lost 65 lbs and I feel better than I have in years. My doctor wanted to put me on Statins as I am over 50 but when he saw my blood test results decided that it was unnecessary.

I am very pleased that in these three years Gary Taubes and Peter Attea have set up NuSi ([...] I very much support this idea as it seems the only way we will build a consensus and people will stop looking down their noses at me when I reach for the salt / fatty foods / cream that I love! Hopefully in a further three years the conversation will have moved on - I am sure my wife will be relieved when that is the case :-)
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 1:05 AM BST

Symphony 6 in F Major Op 68: Pastorale
Symphony 6 in F Major Op 68: Pastorale

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 May 2006
It was rated highly by Gramophone magazine as one of the great recordings but I found it a bit flat compared to a Vinyl version of the symphony I used to have.

I was also a more than a bit annoyed to find that it was copy protected so I could not play it on my PC, where I frequently play music whilst I work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2010 6:09 PM GMT