Profile for Mikel > Reviews

Vera - Series 3 [DVD]
Vera - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brenda Blethyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but DARK!, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Vera - Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Is it just me or is this series getting darker and darker? I still like the characters and the setting, but the plots are just so depressing recently!

The Doctor Blake Mysteries - Series 1 [DVD]
The Doctor Blake Mysteries - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Craig McLachlan

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 10 Feb 2014
It was OK, but I wouldn't be inspired to buy another series. So far I've only watched the first episode. May be it will pick up and surprise me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 9:24 PM GMT

Jo [DVD]
Jo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Reno

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Jo [DVD] (DVD)
Poor casting, apart from Jean Reno, and unconvincing plots. I watched the first episode and then relegated the set to the boxes I reserve for when I've watched everything else and am desperate. Long may it languish there...

Murder on the Home Front [DVD] [2013]
Murder on the Home Front [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tamzin Merchant

4.0 out of 5 stars Only two episodes?, 10 Feb 2014
I really want to see more of this! I understand that since it's based on the Merchant character's autobiographical writings this might be difficult, but they were interesting characters and the basic idea was so good that it would be a pity not to follow this up...

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars I resisted..., 5 Aug 2013
...buying a Kindle for as long as I could, but in the end I succumbed. I must admit that it has lived up to the claims made for it and that the format is VERY convenient. The only reason I didn't give it four of five stars is because of the pricing of ebooks. I can only see pricing policies which set the price of an ebook version HIGHER than the price of the paperback as exploitative of the reading public. After all, the production and delivery costs have GOT to be lower. Why aren't these savings being passed on? I know this isn't Amazon's fault, but I can't think where else I can make this complaint felt...

Dodger
Dodger
by Terry Pratchett
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Another series?, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dodger (Audio CD)
Great! The trademark verbal cleverness and deft plotting and the plain "niceness" of Pratchett's central themes made this a pleasure to read. I hope he can find the time to write a sequel.

The Bletchley Circle: Series One [DVD]
The Bletchley Circle: Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Maxwell Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars More, please, 5 Aug 2013
hat an ingenious idea! And, for once, it was convincingly executed. The writers managed to capture the atmosphere of grey, post-war Britain convincingly and the plot was clever.

Lewis - Series 7 [DVD]
Lewis - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately

3.0 out of 5 stars It's over!, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
It's good when the creators of TV series recognise that they've taken the idea as far as it will go and decide to end it in a dignified way. The stories were still well-plotted, and I still liked both the main protagonists so that there was no feeling that the series was beginning too drag...

Death in Paradise - Series 2 [DVD]
Death in Paradise - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure, 5 Aug 2013
I wish there were more series on television like this. The violence is minimal and there's hardly any sex -- although the female lead is stunning! -- so the show relies of good writing, clever characterization and well-developed plots. If you enjoyed Pie in the Sky, I think you'd like this, too.

La Gloire de Mon Père & Le Château de Ma Mère Box Set [DVD]
La Gloire de Mon Père & Le Château de Ma Mère Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yves Robert
Offered by Side Two

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 5 Aug 2013
The setting and photography were stunning, the acting was superb, and the simple, moving story make these movies a joy to watch. I can thoroughly recommend them. The beauty of the scenery means that following subtitles is no chore at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3