Profile for Keen Reader > Reviews

The Self Illusion: Why There is No 'You' Inside Your Head
The Self Illusion: Why There is No 'You' Inside Your Head
by Bruce Hood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read for the Non-Specialist, 21 April 2012
As a non-specialist i.e. not in the field of neuroscience, I was a little concerned I would find this book dry and a difficult concept to understand. I could not have been more wrong. It was enlightening, interesting and full of fascinating anecdotes and illustrations. Bruce Hood has a natural gift as a writer for the general public. His style is accessible, funny and yet educational. I have learned more about my "self" than I thought I would and also understand more about your "self". I read SuperSense also by Hood with interest and I can honestly say if you enjoyed that or even found it a little controversial, this matches it easily. Hood is an expert in his field and translates ideas and concepts to the general public with ease and aplomb.

I would recommend this book to anyone thinking of exploring what it means to be a human being even if you have little previous experience in reading this sort of literature.

Highly entertaining, hugely enjoyable, a must have.

Supersense: From Superstition to Religion - The Brain Science of Belief
Supersense: From Superstition to Religion - The Brain Science of Belief
by Bruce Hood

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 3 May 2009
Fascinating book I really enjoyed it! It is quite a page turner from Chapter 1 but could also be dipped into for witty anecdotes throughout. There is no need to be a scientist as it is aimed at the general public and if you have an interest in why humans behave in the way they do, particularly around the superstitious and religion, then you will definitely want to read this book. I found it a very balanced view and smoothly written with excellent examples. A fascinating and accessible book that ought to be a best seller!