Profile for Freke > Reviews

Osama
Osama
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and I like it, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Osama (Kindle Edition)
I love to find something new, a different kind of thing, or at least a different angle on the same old thing. Tidhar's Osama is very like so many similar books but somehow manages a fresh perspective at almost every turn. Well done.

The Amulet Of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Sequence)
The Amulet Of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Sequence)
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars An good start to a steadily improving series, 7 July 2013
I enjoyed this book but I was not overly impressed. It is in that vein of books which attempt a humorous approach to fantasy; an approach best characterized by Terry Pratchet. However, its execution did leave room for improvement.

I persevered anyway and read all 4 books and I'm glad I did. Each is successively better and thoroughly enjoyable. I hope the author will pick up this series again in the near future.

Palimpsest
Palimpsest
by Catherynne Valente
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Every sentence a morsel to be savoured, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Palimpsest (Paperback)
This is a book to make you fall in love with the English language all over again. Imaginative, evocative, seductive it is a love affair that leaves you longing for the next encounter.

Gardens of the Moon (Book 1 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Gardens of the Moon (Book 1 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
by Steven Erikson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Fantasy at its best, 29 Oct 2011
I have now read the entire 10 books and wanted to pay homage to the monumental effort that went into this series. Erikson has pulled off an astonishing depth of breadth across both his plot and characters. I can understand why some people found this daunting and were turned off from the books as a result but I found it fascinating to see how plot unfolded from so many different points of view. The plot of many other books seem to follow a tunnel from one end to the other. Here you get a true glimpse of the complexity of real life in a fantasy setting.

Erikson has created a host of memorable characters that are sure to end up as icons in the fantasy hall of fame: Whiskey Jack, Fiddler, Quick Ben, Anomander Rake, Karsa Orlong and I could add many more. It was easy to fall for these characters and too many nights I stayed up way later than I intended just to follow the story of my latest favourite.

It has been said that Erikson based his books on a fantasy role playing game and I can see where this setting would make a perfect campaign background. I recommend the book even more highly to any other role players out there and only wish I could have been part of the original game.

This series is not for the faint of heart but amply rewards the effort.