Profile for A. Smith > Reviews

A. Smith (Leicester, UK)

Indestructible
Indestructible

4.0 out of 5 stars They've still got it!, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Indestructible (Audio CD)
'Indestructible', in my opinion, isn't quite up to the quality of 'Ten Thousand Fists', but its not far off! Indestructible, Inside the Fire and The Night are definately the best tracks. Another fantastic album from Dave Draiman and co! Looking forward to seeing them perform their new material at Download :D
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2008 9:11 PM BST

Gran Turismo 3: A -Spec Platinum (PS2)
Gran Turismo 3: A -Spec Platinum (PS2)
Offered by Super-bargains

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dream Come True, 26 Jan 2003
GT3 is, simply, the best racing game ever.
I own GT2 as well, a superb game in its own right, and as soon as I heard there was to a be a GT3 coming out, I literally went wild with excitment. I actually bought a PS2 (still £300 at the time) just so I could play GT3. I played it near solidly for a month, without ever getting bored, and since I got it, I've completed it 3 times, each time with different cars. If you like cars and racing games, this game will keep you glued to your sofa for hours, even days on end without ever getting boring.
The gameplay is incredible, the graphics mindblowing, and the AI powering the rival cars is about as realistic as it could be. Though it does take a long time to complete, as there are an enormous number of series and endurence races, you wouldn't believe how time flies when you're playing it.
If you want a racing game, get this one. Even if you are attracted to the latest games advertised on TV, you cannot go wrong with this one. Especially as its now a third of the price of the latest games.
The only two niggles I have about this game, are minor ones. It is possible to pick holes in the AI, once you realise that the computer's cars only ever drive on the racing line, but this can make it surprisingly difficult to overtake them.
Also, there is the inclusion of Super Speedway, effectively an oval, with one corner tighter than the other, as an endurence race. I'm not sure what the developers were thinking, as this race really WILL bore you to tears. But these small problems aside, you really can't go wrong with GT3.
This series is guaranteed to become a classic, alongside the Grand Theft Auto series, and will still be played in years to come.

Colin McRae Rally 3 (PS2)
Colin McRae Rally 3 (PS2)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

1.0 out of 5 stars 4th time lucky i hope, 26 Jan 2003
In short, I think this is the most irritating, frustrating, infuriating driving game I have ever played, and I have to say I now wish I'd bought WRC2 instead.
I'll start with the pace notes - in my opinion, the worst part of the game. They are inaccurate, badly timed, and the arrows don't stay visible for long enough. On several occasions, Grist has called '2 left', for example, and it has turned out to be more like a 5. Also, on several occasions, he has called a corner half way down a straight section, then another corner, and another, before I've even got to the first corner. This is incredibly confusing, and it wasn't nearly this bad in McRae Rally 2.
... the cars handling is unrealistic. The car is very twitchy and unsettled on tarmac and has no grip whatsoever on gravel. Try Spain and Finland for examples of this.
Also, I'm not new to rallying, or driving games for that matter, but I am baffled by the inclusion of several sections where I have no idea at all where I'm supposed to be going. Lack of communication from Grist, again, and a non-existant line of sight makes for a very p***** off, edgy, irritated driver.
I believe that anyone buying this game, having little or no experience of other racing games, is making a big mistake, as these sections mentioned above, the appalling pace notes, and twitchy cars makes for a near impossible game to play for any length of time.
There are, however, some plus points. The graphics are incredible, especially the tiny details on the car. Also, the cars reaction to the surface is very good, e.g. when changing from gravel to mud, there is a very obvious difference in the cars handling.
Basically, if you want a game where you can stop and admire the scenery, McRae Rally 3 is hard to beat. But if you want a game you can play for hours on end without getting bored and annoyed, this is about the worst game you could buy - on the day I bought it, as soon as I got home, I played McRae Rally for the best part of 2 hours. In this time, I nearly completed Normal level, being the easiest. However, it was so easy, I was bored s***less, and was soon shouting obsenities at Grist, because of the bad pace notes.
If you are thinking of buying this game, I suggest you have a good, long look at WRC2 before you even CONSIDER this game.
Also, if you just want a racing game, and aren't bothered whether its a rally game or not, you can't do better than Gran Turismo 3. Despite having been released last year, GT3 is still untouchable in its realism and involvment.