Profile for Rock Dad > Reviews

Content by Rock Dad

Rock Dad

Page: 1 | 2
Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High-Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Paperwhite, 10 Oct. 2014
Had to buy a new Kindle device as old one suddenly died a death - decided to get the latest Paperwhite version which I am delighted with - much better features, easier to navigate and to read from. Only niggle I have is that sometimes when I touch the right side of the screen it occasionally jumps several pages or chapters rather than just one page - perhaps I press too hard!? Particularly like the adjustable light feature - now I can read in bed with the lights out without disturbing my wife! Would highly recommend the Paperwhite.

Fellowes Shredder Oil 355ml bottle
Fellowes Shredder Oil 355ml bottle

4.0 out of 5 stars Fellowes Shredder Oil, 21 Aug. 2013
Our old Bush shredder's motor burnt out when too many sheets of paper were inserted. We bought a Fellowes shredder to replace it and purchased this oil which Fellowes recommend the use of in order to maintain the shredder and to stop the blades from seizing up. The oil is easy to apply and application is recommended on a regular basis. No complaints so far and the oil should last for many applications.

Lansky Sharpeners 4-Rod Deluxe Turn Box Sharpener - Yellow
Lansky Sharpeners 4-Rod Deluxe Turn Box Sharpener - Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Deluxe Turnbox Crock Stick sharpener, 21 Aug. 2013
I was given a £25 Amazon gift voucher and bought this sharpening set together with the Lansky Mini Dog Bone pocket sharpener. The set has two course and two fine ceramic rods which fit in two sets of angled holes on the wooden box provided which enable the sharpening of knives at the correct angle - simple to follow instructions are provided and the rods store nicely inside the box. Using the set I've quickly managed to make my pocket and kitchen knives shaving-sharp - this is an excellent product at a very fair price - highly recommended.

Lansky Sharpeners Mini Sharpener - Assorted (Colour varies)
Lansky Sharpeners Mini Sharpener - Assorted (Colour varies)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lansky Mini Dog Bone Crock Stick, 21 Aug. 2013
I've had one of these for over 10 years and it still works - the ceramic rods have discoloured a bit but otherwise show little or no signs of wear - I decided to buy a new one and the old one is now in my fishing tackle box. The sharpener is great for putting an edge on pocket & kitchen knives although I would recommend the Lansky Turnbox Crock Stick sharpener with both medium and fine rods for a shaving sharp edge on all straight edge knives. Great for travelling too!

Physics (Illustrated) - The Classic, Definitive Guide - A must read for all of those interested in the Mother of all Science from the Beginner to the Advanced Student.

1.0 out of 5 stars Physics (illustrated) - a bit of a con!, 28 Jun. 2013
The description of this book says that it was published in 2012 but in fact the book was written in 1920! So if you are looking for a modern take on physics this is not for you. As a bit of an armchair physicist (I never got past O level physics at school) I have a small collection of popular science books and my interests are more towards relativity, quantum theory and string theory. If you share these interests I would recommend The Fabric of the Cosmos & The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene - as these are quite heavily biased towards string theory a great rebuttal can be found in Peter Woit's book, Not Even Wrong.

Official Release Series Discs 1-4
Official Release Series Discs 1-4

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young - Official Series Discs 1-4, 12 Jan. 2013
This box set is an absolute steal at £9.99 plus postage. It comprises Neil Young's first 4 solo albums, all remastered in 2009 under Neil's supervision. The audio quality is superb and a huge improvement on the original CD releases, especially noticeable on the first 2 albums - the first album 'Neil Young' is a real revelation and I am really enjoying listening to it again. Everyone Knows This is Nowhere is my favourite NY album of all time and the mix on this release seems much closer to how I remember it on the vinyl disc I first imported from the USA before it was released in the UK. The guitar interplay between Neil and the late Danny Whitten on the 2 long tracks, Cowgirl in the Sand and Down By The River is just extraordinary.

Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70 cl
Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Talisker 10 year old Single Malt Scotch - 70cl Bottle, 12 Jan. 2013
My wife and I stayed for a few nights in Skye some years ago (until it started to rain horizontally non-stop!) and we visited the Talisker distillery for the visitor tour and the obligatory wee dram at the end of the visit. Talisker single-malt has to be one of my favourite malts - it's rich,complex, smoky and peaty - best drunk with a little spring water - not as powerful as Islay malts like Laphroaig. Highly recommended. Delivery was quick and well-packaged.

Snark Super Tight All Instrument Tuner - Black
Snark Super Tight All Instrument Tuner - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Snark Super Tight All Instrument Tuner - Black, 12 Jan. 2013
This is an excellent tuner for my electro-acoustic guitar and 2 electric guitars - it clips on to the headstock firmly and the unit can be rotated easily so that it can be read - the display is bright and tuning all six strings is quick and accurate. Great value and highly recommended.

SuperTooth Buddy Handsfree Bluetooth Visor Speakerphone Car Kit for Smartphone Devices - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Supertooth Buddy Hands Free Bluetooth Visor Car-Kit, 7 Jan. 2012
I asked my daughter to buy this for me for Christmas based on positive reviews for the product. It is extremely easy to use - the unit is easy to charge with the usb lead provided, is portable and I was able to pair up my iPhone in seconds. The unit easy attaches to the car's sun visor and in use the sound is remarkably clear and sufficiently loud - the built in microphone easily picks up one's front passenger's voice and also the unit can be paired with a second mobile phone if needed. The Supertooth Buddy is a steal at this price - highly recommended!l

Extended Versions
Extended Versions
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Lou Reed Live Extended Versions, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Extended Versions (Audio CD)
This is a great companion disc to 'Rock and Roll Animal'. Admittedly 'Oh Jim' does go on a bit but the CD is worth buying for its superb live feel. Lou is in great form, spitting out his lyrics with venom and the interplay between lead guitarists Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter is once again superb. I first bought this album on Vinyl when it first came out and the sound quality of the CD is excellent. Only gripe is that there are no sleeve notes, unlike the excellent ones that come with the CD of 'Rock and Roll Animal'. At the time of its original release it and 'Rock and Roll Animan' got a lot of flack from diehard Velvet fans, but Lou clearly wanted to move on and is still doing so as evidenced from his recent album with Metallica, 'Lulu'.
If you liked 'Rock and Roll Animal' try this too.

Page: 1 | 2