Profile for Lee Wilson > Reviews

Content by Lee Wilson

Lee Wilson "Lee" (Edinburgh)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Forget, 15 Sep 2011
An iconic image where politics transended sport, Tommie Smith and John Carlos giving the black power salute at the 1968 Mexican Olympics remains an important moment in the struggle against 'the man'. Remember that these guys were vilified and abused on their return to the USA for their heroic and symbolic act of protest. Brave men who knew what they were doing and what the consequences would be for their lives and sporting careers. This image is a fantastic symbol for all of those who still believe in 'fight the power !'

Right On Be Free
Right On Be Free
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Right on be Free, damn straight !, 10 July 2009
This review is from: Right On Be Free (Audio CD)
This is an excellent, stonking album. The sincerity and depth in this collection is astonishing, you can feel the warmth, charisma and heart felt hope in the voices of the young talents on display here and makes you want to rise up and join the march for freedom with them.So much talent.

It is also of real historical value and reflects a period in black America where people were not judged on their bling or their booties. The honesty and charm of this album pores out. Do yourself a favour and envelope yourself in the power of The Voices of East Harlem. Believe in fighting the power with beauty and nobility.It makes me wanna holla !

Walking In The Sunshine - The Best Of Bad Manners
Walking In The Sunshine - The Best Of Bad Manners

4.0 out of 5 stars Still got Bad Manners, 10 July 2009
I was very much into the original Two Tone explosion and updated my collection onto cd over the years, Specials , Madness etc but I realised that the often ignored Bad Manners had not received the treatment. Whilst seeking their music online I quickly realised that it is really difficult to find cd's of their original albums. There are loads of 'greatest hits' and the like but many seem to also have ropey 'live' recordings on them too.
This album seems to have the true best of from when I originally listened to Bad Manners. When I played it the memories all came flooding back and I remembered just how good Doug Trendle and the boys were. They actually had loads of big hits and were Top of the Pops regulars for years. In all a hugely enjoyable double cd, well worth the money, and good to listen to a great band whom I feel have been neglected musically over the years.

The Way Back Home
The Way Back Home
by Oliver Jeffers

5.0 out of 5 stars The World of Oliver Jeffers, 25 May 2009
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
I have been reading Oliver Jeffers books to my little boy a lot. They are delightful and heartfelt. Very simple but very effective in gaining his attention, hope there are a lot more of 'the little boy' stories to come.'The way back home' captures the essence of kids realising how characters may be different and 'alien' to us but how we all share the same feelings without being preachy in the slightest. The artwork totally compliments the narrative too.

Completely Hooked - The Best of  Dr. Hook
Completely Hooked - The Best of Dr. Hook

5.0 out of 5 stars Put a smile on the wife's face, 19 Feb 2009
Afraid this was merely a Christmas present for the wife because she had seen Dr Hook as a wee girl in the eighties. I also liked them because of the guy who looked like a pirate. Not my usual cup of tea but it did bring a smile to my face. So if you want to please your missus at xmas with a musical pirate this is for you ( an even I dig 'Sylvias's mother' !)