Profile for Mrs. Nicola Clements > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Nicola Cl...

Mrs. Nicola Clements "nsclements" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Silent Tide
The Silent Tide
Price: 3.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going though an interesting story, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Silent Tide (Kindle Edition)
I have loved (and devoured) Rachel Hore's previous books but this one just didn't grip me. In fact, it has taken me a year to finally reach the end!

From a tantalising opening, to descriptions of the publishing world decades apart, I loved it... But then there came Emily's departure from Matthew and Isabel's attachment to Hugh, and events took a depressing turn for the middle section of the book. This is the part which took so much time to motivate myself to plough through. The last quarter, however, redeemed the book for me.

I do love a story of strong women in more misogynistic times, particularly when care seems to have been taken with historical detail. It is a shame, though, that all the men in both time periods are so irredeemably flawed and/or unpleasant, to an almost misandrist degree.

Although I ultimately enjoyed it, I have only given three stars due to the plodding middle section, and the sometimes clunky way in which the older story is interwoven (sometimes first person, often not). The inconsistency ruined it's flow for me.

Not awful, but not one of her best either.

8 Pcs Die Cast Racing Car Vehicle Play Set Cars Kids Boys Toy
8 Pcs Die Cast Racing Car Vehicle Play Set Cars Kids Boys Toy
Offered by kiwi's 247
Price: 2.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, not cheerful, 30 July 2014
These are a bargain price but you really do get what you pay for - they fell apart (windscreens came off) or stopped working (axles jammed) very quickly.

Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3)
by Veronica Roth
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great substance, shame about the style, 30 July 2014
Obviously, if you liked the first two books then you are going to read this one, I was a big fan of the rest of the trilogy, and enjoyed (if that is the correct word given what it encompasses) the plot of this final volume. However, I found the use of two narrators here distracting, particularly as I couldn't differentiate between their two voices and had to refer back to chapter headers. Given what happens, it becomes obvious why this device was used, but I felt that it should have occurred throughout the trilogy. This would have given the two voices time to become established, and would have prevented that strange feeling of betrayal when the reader realises that we are not going to hear the whole of the story from Tris's perspective. In this way it reminded me of the final volume of the Sookie Stackhouse series, in which suddenly chunks are written in the third person. It suggests that the author had not fully thought through the entire story arc when they began it, and have to insert a somewhat clumsy device in order to achieve the ending they desire. Disappointing.

Insurgent (Divergent, Book 2)
Insurgent (Divergent, Book 2)
by Veronica Roth
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars The not-so-difficult second book, 30 July 2014
I was expecting to be disappointed with this as it is that difficult thing, the second book of a trilogy. Divergent had hooked me, and I ordered this the moment I had finished it. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. I did not anticipate the interesting direction which the book would take, or its consistent quality. A must read if you enjoyed the first book.

Kong Puppy Toy Teething Stick Large 13cm
Kong Puppy Toy Teething Stick Large 13cm
Offered by Pet Supply Company USA
Price: 6.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy but impossible for our puppy to extract anything from ..., 30 July 2014
Very sturdy but impossible for our puppy to extract anything from the very thin hollow centre. He gets frustrated with it quickly and gives up. The traditionally shaped kong is much more of a success!

Rosewood Petstages Puppy Cuddle Pal
Rosewood Petstages Puppy Cuddle Pal
Price: 4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Particularly good is the removable beanbag as this means the furry ..., 30 July 2014
This was the first toy we gave our puppy and he loves it! Surprisingly, given that he is a large breed, it is still in tact several weeks on unlike many other cuddly toys which he has shredded! He has a big doggy friend who comes to visit who also enjoys carrying this around. Particularly good is the removable beanbag as this means the furry outside can be washed, which is useful when you have a burier like ours!

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects
by Gillian Flynn
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly dark and disturbing, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Paperback)
Not at all what I expected when I picked it up, which was more of a family saga with secrets at it's core. Not at all what I expected a couple of chapters in, which was a murder mystery. This is a book which draws the reader in and down into a spiral of darkness, revealing Camille's past as it does so. An unsettling read with imagery (the farrowing crates, for example) which have stayed with me for some time. I don't want to say more lest I give too much away, as a lot of the enjoyment was in the slow reveal. Highly recommended.

Dreambaby Mag Lock - 1 Key (White)
Dreambaby Mag Lock - 1 Key (White)
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy to be able to buy an extra key, 28 Sep 2013
We need locks with keys for our cupboards as our two year old is very good with locks and switches! Great idea to be able to buy spare locks separately.

Momymoo Zoe Ii Baby Changing Bag Retro
Momymoo Zoe Ii Baby Changing Bag Retro
Price: 63.39

5.0 out of 5 stars As many pockets as you could wish for., 28 Sep 2013
Spacious bag with lots of internal and external pockets to hold all those things that you need when you're out with a little one. It's attractive looking, waterproof and sturdily made. Brilliant!

Pair Of 'Simply Style' Pencil Pleat Thermal Backed Light Reducing Curtains in 11 Colours - Width 46" x Drop 72" (Silver)
Offered by LEEP
Price: 16.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine as curtains but not light reducing, 28 Sep 2013
I expected these to be more like the blackout curtains we have in our bedroom. Sadly not, they are no more light-reducing than any other thin piece of fabric.

Quality is ok, just a shame that they don't do what they say on the tin.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6