Profile for Bryn Ellis > Reviews

Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting
Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting
by Christian Bolton

5.0 out of 5 stars You're mad if you don't get this book!, 1 Mar 2010
I'm not a SQL Server expert by any stretch of the imagination but I had a customer who was experiencing real performance issues with our application. I'd tried collecting the necessary data from Perfmon and Profiler myself and got into all sorts of problems. I had way too much data and had no idea how to present it or even if it was the right data to tell me what I needed to know. I'd bought the book and had it for a couple of weeks but hadn't had the time to read it.

I got so exasperated I stopped everything I was doing and sat for an evening and read through a couple of sections about the tools available to collect performance related data - SQLDiags, Perfstats etc. The next day, within 30 minutes I had a database with reports showing me all the information I needed.

The following day we ran a whole bunch of tests using the new tools introduced in this book and we found the major problem that was causing performance issues in the app.

These guys have written a fantastic book obviously from real life practical experience, not theory. Well done guys and thanks for your help!

Now I've got to find the time to sit down and read the book front to back!

TIP! One thing that wasn't in the book is what to do if you've collected some performance data, run ReadTrace to load it into the PerfAnalysis db and then you want to run another set of tests but keep the original set of results for later analysis. Luckily I went to a SQL PASS user group where Christian Bolton did a presentation and reminded us that when you use this tool you need to rename the PerfAnalysis database first before running your next collection of data otherwise you'll overwrite your previous data collection.