Profile for J Ortenzi > Reviews

Content by J Ortenzi

J Ortenzi

Andrew James Electric Precision Food Slicer 19cm Blade + Includes 2 Extra Blades For Bread and Meat
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item at an excellent price., 19 Oct 2013
I had been toying with getting one of these for slicing salami for a while and when this came up for £39.99 I jumped at the chance. It works well, is easy to operate and clean and produces some finely sliced salami. I haven't even started on using it for other cold meats or bread yet but am fairly sure it will cope with them well. I tried it slicing some cheese the other day also and it was fine. Recommended.

Dallas: The Complete Season 1 and 2 [DVD] [1978]
Dallas: The Complete Season 1 and 2 [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Victoria Principal
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff but the discs are a bit confusing, 29 Sep 2013
Got this as a present for my step mum - she loved watching it but found it a bit doing the discs in the right order as they are double sided and not very clearly marked.

Interesting to see how it started off as I think a lot of people never saw the mini-series (Series 1 in this set) and most peoples memories tend to come from later on in the run.

Picture quality is ok for DVD, nothing special. A blu-ray release should be possible in the future as this was all made on film, I think.

Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space (Special Edition) [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space (Special Edition) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee
Offered by themediamerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Best it has ever looked, 29 Sep 2013
Great story, but you probably know that - the blu-ray version is well worth it as the picture looks great for something made over 40 years ago.

Sad that this is the only original series Doctor Who story mad entirely in high definition (16mm film in this case).

Hopefully they can do some hybrid SD/HD versions of other Doctor Who stories that have original 16mm or 35mm footage surviving.

Well worth a look.

Kinps®2300mAh external power pack case and rechargeable back Up battery charger for iPhone 4 & 4S
Offered by Kinpsbuy

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware - this caught fire., 29 Sep 2013
Worked fine for the first few weeks I had it but then suddenly stopped working in the middle of recharging my iPhone 4s. No light, no warning. i assume it was out of charge so plugged it in and seconds later I smelled burning plastic and saw smoke coming out of it. A section of the pack had melted and fortunately I managed to pull the cable out at the mains, but not before burning my hand trying to move it.

The sellers were quick to refund me but strangely didn't offer a replacement - is this a common problem I wonder?

Please be careful with this and if you do buy one - don't leave it charging unattended.

Hill's Feline Light Adult Chicken Dry Mix 10 kg
Hill's Feline Light Adult Chicken Dry Mix 10 kg
Offered by Mr Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - awful delivery service., 27 Sep 2013
First of all the cat food is great - my cats love it and they are both healthy and happy.

The delivery is a different matter.

The courier (Yodel) left it with a neighbour but did not inform me either by email, phone or a card through the door. It was only when I checked on amazon that I found out it had been delivered to a neighbour and even then it didn't tell me who. Many days later and with much door knocking I found the package and got it home ok.Cost me a bit of cash as it was my cats' 2 month food supply and I had to buy stop gap food until I could locate the package. Seriously amazon, get shot of Yodel, they're awful and unprofessional.

Not best pleased.

Battlestar Galactica: 35th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [1978] [US Import]
Battlestar Galactica: 35th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [1978] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Dirk Benedict
Offered by Empor UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality and a fun trip down memory lane., 26 Sep 2013
Looks about the best it ever has with the model shots appearing very clear. It's weird watching this now and remembering it was made for TV as the model and effects work was of a very high standard for the time even in films. Looks a bit creaky in indoor scenes and some of the photo backdrops are very obvious in 1080p. But to be honest you probably know that and if you're here to knock it for being made in the late 70's you probably shouldn't get this. It's very of its time, but with some great ideas and concepts, and not so great haircuts and space discos.

Really hoping they will release the whole series now in HD as this is the movie edit of the pilot which is about half an hour shorter than the TV version. However that will be in 4:3 and this is 16:9, loosing part of the top and bottom of the full frame pilot, but what we see should be of higher resolution than a full frame release if they've scanned it right - looks damn clear in most places to me.

The Sensurround soundtrack is really bassy especially if you have a sub hooked up - but that's how it was shown in cinemas.

Think of this a nice companion piece to the series if it is ever given an HD release.

It's region free and plays fine on a UK PS3 and BD player.

Pizza Peel Small. 26" long with 12 x 14" blade
Pizza Peel Small. 26" long with 12 x 14" blade
Offered by Bar Equipment Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment, 26 Sep 2013
Well made and easy to use - it definitely benefits those who want to make very thin pizzas in a standard oven. nce well floured up lets you slide them in and out easily onto a pizza stone.

Sony VAIO VPCEB2Z0E 15.5" Screen Laptop, Intel Core i3-350M Processor, 4GB, 500GB, BT, WLAN, Windows 7 Home Premium

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon - great customer service, Sony - awful customer service, 23 Dec 2010
I bought this laptop with high hopes but unfortunately they were dashed from when the moment it arrived. It arrived very quick from amazon but the webcam was defective and never worked at all from when I got it.

I spoke to amazon who put me in touch with Sony who then proceeded to mess me around for the best part of 3 months, treat me in an incredibly patronising way and fail to sort out anything. I've never been put in touch with such a useless, ill informed and unhelpful group of people in my life (apart from Virgin Media).

The camera had no drivers and wasn't even connected, but without the drivers you couldn't tell this. On scanning a few forums I've found this aregular problem with Vaio laptops running Windows 7 - Sony told me I was making it up and shouldn't believe what I read. Events have proven them wrong. "There's an old saying that goes "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining", which is applicable in this case. First they wouldn't give me the drivers and then they made me fully recover the computer resulting in massive inconvenience to me and wasted time. Still no joy.

After this they offered to repair, not replace the laptop and I would be without if for 10 days - even though it had never worked and I needed it for work. They didn't care. Just another faceless bureaucrat reading from a list of set responses rather than trying to serve their customers or at least retain them. I never got an apology and got so frustrated at their inaction and "customer support" that I contacted Amazon who offered a full refund to me as replacements were not available - even though this was 3 months after I bought it.

Nice one Amazon - show Sony how to treat customers properly. They sent a courier to pick it up, refunded me straight away and I bought a new laptop from them (Not a Sony one I hasten to add) Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I've been impressed with Amazon's customer commitment through this and disgusted at Sony's who never even offered any sort of apology or solution that could help me.

As a result Sony have lost out on a lot of money from me this Christmas as I didn't trust buying another one of their products as it's obvious they don't support of believe in them. I spent a bit more for better products, more piece of mind and proper customer service.

Take heed Sony, you'll lose customers if you treat them with no respect. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out but maybe get some staff capable of independent thought who have done some customer service training. I might as well have been talking to a recorded message for all the use they were.

In summary Sony were awful but Amazon were great. Hope this helps you make your mind up.