Profile for Kevin Turner > Reviews

Content by Kevin Turner

Kevin Turner (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
DIY 3D Google Cardboard Glasses - Mobile Phone Virtual Reality 3D Glasses, NFC, For iPhone + Android Phones
Offered by Abasin Global Trading Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a tenner for the novelty value, 29 Jan. 2015
As a gimmick gadget offering a taste of the future this is really good. It took a little while to assemble, but only because I was being overly cautious. The virtual reality works very well on both our HTC One phone and iphone 4s (even better when I realised I could still wear my glasses when viewing it!). It’s good value for what it is; you probably won’t be using it regularly once the novelty has worn off but can’t fault it for doing what it says it does well.

SanDisk SDCZ43-064G-G46 Ultra Fit USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 130 MB/s - 64 GB

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, avoid, 29 Jan. 2015
Useless; it took ages (23 hours+) to transfer my, admittedly very sizable, photo collection, then when completed none of the photos were available to view and nothing else could be added, despite the card being only half full. I'm still dealing with Sandisk customer support who aren't overly helpful. A complete waste of time and money. Also, even if it did work this thing is very very small, about a cm square and 5mm deep. Maybe that’s a positive for some people but I’d prefer something less likely to be lost/dropped/misplaced.

The Earth After Us: What Legacy Will Humans Leave in the Rocks?
The Earth After Us: What Legacy Will Humans Leave in the Rocks?
by Jan Zalasiewicz

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, very well written; a tad advanced for a simpleton, 10 July 2014
I have a basic, Hollywood-fed interest in this sort of post-human apocalypse type thing and in truth this book was a little advanced for me. I’d sort of hoped for a book that basically expanded on that bit in Planet of the Apes when they find the Statue of Liberty (!) The Earth After Us goes into much more detail about the minutia of geological process, but that said, it never got so deep as to stop me pursuing the next chapter.
The author is a gifted writer, witty (very much so at times) and engaging and while I’d hoped for a less forensic, arguably more shallow and accessible book, this still proved an engaging read. I might even have learnt something!
Recommended to those with a genuine interest and some knowledge of the geological process, although the layman will certainly not be disappointed.

In Search of Greener Grass
In Search of Greener Grass
by Graham Field

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly captures the reality of overlanding, 16 Jun. 2014
A terrific read; this book really captures the day-to-day reality of overlanding. Graham’s writing is at once humorous, informative and accessible. Inspiring, funny and highly recommended!

Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders (Penguin Celebrations)
Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders (Penguin Celebrations)
by John Mortimer

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable light read, 5 Jan. 2014
Only got this book as we live in Penge and a relative thought the connection appropriate. I knew nothing of Rumpole or his history but thoroughly enjoyed the story. Funny, clever, flowing and entertaining; I finally understand what the fuss is about re old Rumpole!

Motorcycle Motorbike Scooter Moped USB Phone charger, hard-wired direct to battery Universal for all phones

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 10 Sept. 2013
I have just returned from a 6,000 mile trip from London, up through Norway and over to Moscow (more info at [...] This little bit of kit was the single most useful thing I took. I had my reservations as it's quite inexpensive and I couldn't believe it would work consistently and last the duration. I was wrong on both counts. It was very easy to wire in (literally, two minute job) and then it just worked. Every time my phone or iPad was getting low on juice I plugged it in and hey presto, it was charged in a couple of hours. It removed all the hassle of trying and find places to charge devices on the road. I can't recommend it enough. It also worked fine in very bad weather and I did nothing to water proof it. I just attached it to the side of the bike (Kawasaki ZX636) and left it. It was faultless for the whole trip. Really nice to chance across a well made bit of kit that does what it's supposed to. If I had to find fault, it would be the little light that tells you if it's charging or not is quite dim, but really, that is nit-picking in the extreme. If you're planning a long trip I would recommend this whole heartedly.

Mammoth Concrete-In Ground Anchor
Mammoth Concrete-In Ground Anchor
Offered by Fast Bike Bits

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good service, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Mammoth Concrete-In Ground Anchor
Needed to get this delivered quickly and the company dispatching it was very helpful. The product itself seems very sturdy; hopefully it'll never be tested but I've sunk it into the ground using two bags of post mix and it seems well embedded; the swivel head is very useful.

That Near Death Thing: Inside the TT- The World's Most Dangerous Race
That Near Death Thing: Inside the TT- The World's Most Dangerous Race
by Rick Broadbent

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 17 July 2013
Superb read; shame if this is confined to a biker audience because it deserves a much wider readership. If you enjoyed That Near Death Thing, check out Broadbent's `Ring of Fire' which is equally as enjoyable. He's undoubtedly one of the best sports writers out there at the moment.

Forefront Cases Leather Case Cover/Stand with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function for Apple iPad Mini - Black
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this, 24 Jun. 2013
Am new to Apple stuff and a bit shocked at the price of the official merchandise, so gambled on this. It’s brilliant; very much recommend it. My mate’s got the official Apple one which is a little smarter and feels a little nicer, but no way does it justify being over twice the price. This fits very well, feels good to hold, supports the iPad when you want to watch it as a TV and turns the iPad on and off when you open and close it (another reviewer said this feature didn’t work on their’s but it’s fine on mine). This is one of those purchases that make you realise bargains do exist!

Mustaine: A Life in Metal
Mustaine: A Life in Metal
by Dave Mustaine

4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable read, 25 April 2013
Just finished reading this and am slightly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm not a big Megadeth fan at all, they were always my least favourite of the big 4; but this is just a really interesting, occasionally funny, very well written book. I guess if I were a bigger fan I'd have liked more info on the background to songs and stuff, but as a casual reader it's up there with the best rock biogs I've read. A perfect holiday read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3