Profile for Sab > Reviews

Sony Mid-range In-ear Headphones with Deep Base - Red
Offered by GIL ENTERPRISE
Price: 16.79

4.0 out of 5 stars OK - but not as much Bass as I expected, 26 Feb 2014
These are OK for the price but you need to position them carefully to get any bass. My first impressions were very poor, they sounded thin and reedy but I persevered and by using one of the different size ear pieces and moving them around in my ear to create a seal they sound OK. One good thing is that once they are in position they stay put (at least for my 45 minute commute).

Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany and the Winning of the Great War at Sea
Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany and the Winning of the Great War at Sea
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, absorbing, great, 26 Feb 2014
I'm not a scholar or a prolific reader of history but I've always been drawn to the background and build up to WW1 and this book hit the spot. There's a wealth of background detail to the players and politics yet it never feels weighty or boring and I've learned so much. I'd put this up alongside another of my all time favorites, 'Stalingrad' (Anthony Beevor).
I've just started on his previous book 'Dreadnought' which is just as engaging - and yes, I know I'm probably reading them out of sequence but each book stands on it's own.
My only criticism is that I read the Kindle version which I think lacks a lot of the illustrations, but dont let that put you off. This is a very, very good book!!!

Damocles
Damocles
Price: 1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Damocles (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. Another reviewer has mentioned comparisons to the Niven/Pournelle collaborations and it does have that easy going flow to it. Personally I liked how the 'first contact' issue was dealt with and the way the same scenes are played from different perspectives - I started to care about the central characters..
There are some big concepts here and some of them could have filled another book by themselves (example the spacer myths and superstitions) but I like that the book kept things very small and personal.
The ending was a bit weak but it has left me wondering what happened to central characters so if there was a sequel I'd happily read it.

Panasonic TX-L42E6B 42-inch Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Built in Wi-Fi and Freeview HD
Offered by Hyper-Fi
Price: 499.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 15 Oct 2013
I spent many weeks researching 42 inch TV's before taking the plunge with the panny and I've no regrets about buying it. The set-up is very simple and I had the TV up and running within 15 minutes of opening the box. I then spent another 30 minutes or so playing with the various settings and have got a picture that I'm more than happy with. The sound is just about OK for watching 'normal' tele but you're never going to get amazing sound from the small speakers in a flat tv so you will want a sound bar to enhance your film watching.
Re the smart TV features - there's only Iplayer and Netflix that I'm interested in and they both work fine. Catch-up apps from the other terrestrial broadcasters would be nice but it's not a deal breaker for me - and if you have a Youview box you've got them all anyway.
On the review front, there's one review out there from a well known consumer organisation thats quite critical and I normally set great store by their views. In this case I went with the majority of favourable reviews and I'm glad I did.
So, if you dont want 3D, and you can live without the catch-up services from ITV, C4 and 5, then this TV is for you.

Kodak Genuine 30B Ink Cartridge - Black (335 Pages)
Kodak Genuine 30B Ink Cartridge - Black (335 Pages)
Offered by The Happy Office Co
Price: 6.83

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 for delivery, 3 because it works, 1 because the ink runs out very quick, 17 Jun 2013
I'm not alone in bemoaning the fact that Kodak print cartidges just dont last. Yes, they're cheap and on the surface it looks like a good deal but they certainly run out of ink quickly. No problems with the seller but I dont think I'll be buying another Kodak printer when this one gives up.

Kodak ESP 1.2 All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan)
Kodak ESP 1.2 All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan)

3.0 out of 5 stars Uses a lot of ink, 13 May 2013
I works fine as a wireless printer. I didnt need a high spec super fast printer and this fits the bill as a simple non nonsense printer. It's a bit noisy but I can live with that. One big issue is that I'm going thru lots of ink. Kodak make a big thing about cheap printing costs and yes - the cartridges are cheap but I'm using more than twice the amount than the old HP all-in-one it replaced. I reckon I'm lucky to get 100 pages out of a standard '30' cartridge. So - it's cheap to buy but pricey to run.

Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie series)
Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie series)
Price: 2.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but maybe 'less is more', 24 April 2013
I read the Hanging Shed and am now reading Bitter Water, so from that you can safely assume I think they're good books and I like the Brodie character. I should also say I have never written a book so hats off to Mr Ferris who has!
My comment is that it feels to me like too much has been thrown at the plot in both books. Both books have a really good setup and lay the groundwork for a good, hard boiled, crime/thriller. Then having established this, characters and sub plots keep getting added and I dont think they're needed. It's like being served a first rate slice of apple pie and custard, and then the waiter keeps coming back to add a drizzle of fruit coulis, a sprig of mint, and a pile of grated choclate. It isnt needed.
Personally, I'd be happy to concentrate on the main story, be it corruption, a mis-carriage of justice, vigilantism (if thats a real word) and develop the characters rather than add layer upon layer.
I shan't put any spoiler alerts here, just take a read and see what you think.

10x Eveready R63 Reflector Bulb 40W ES Base -
10x Eveready R63 Reflector Bulb 40W ES Base -
Offered by GoodsWholesaleUK
Price: 8.48

3.0 out of 5 stars First package was damaged, 7 April 2013
The first set of bulbs was badly damaged and only 2 out of the 10 worked. I contacted the seller who was very responsive and sent out another set with no quibbles at all. The second package was better wrapped and so far all the bulbs have worked.

PURE i-20, Digital Dock for iPod/iPhone with Hi-Fi Quality Audio and Video Output
Price: 72.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure i-20 Dock - nearly 5 stars, 4 Jan 2013
Works a treat and definitley sounds better than the sound from the ear phone socket. If you're gong to pipe the music thru a hi-fi amp/receiver you'll need two AV leads (one red / one white) - it would have been good if they were included but you can pick a decent pair quite cheap. The remote works but it's a bit unresponsive. However, as I listen to playlists or albums from the ipod I havent needed to use it other than to tweak the volume. This would have been a 5 star review but the lack of cable and the remote means it's 'only' a 4 star.

Kenwood Chef and Major AT320B  Mini Chopper/Mill Attachment with 3 Additional Glass Jars
Kenwood Chef and Major AT320B Mini Chopper/Mill Attachment with 3 Additional Glass Jars
Offered by Seaview Shavers
Price: 21.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Chef Mini Chopper and Mill, 4 Jan 2013
Good value and it works fine, and getting 3 extra glass jars is very useful to store spice mixes. The only minor niggle is it's a tad fiddley. You have to assemple the whole thing 'upside down' and then invert it onto the body of the mixer, and remember to do the same when you take it off otherwise everything falls out. Rest assured - you only do it once!! Aside from that it works fine and is a good buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3