Profile for M. Webb > Reviews

Content by M. Webb

M. Webb

TeckNet® X9800 High Precision Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with 8200 DPI, 9 Programmable Button, Weight Tuning Cartridge, Omron Micro Switches
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing performance, functionality, and value, 31 Dec 2013
The performance here is flawless for something at such a low price. 8,200 DPI coupled with an incredibly ergonomic design results in enhanced gameplay and/or any design software that requires a steady hand. Originally this was bought so I could test the waters of premium gaming mice, but I subsequently now can't see the point in upgrading. It's that good. And yes, this mouse is based entirely off of an old Anker product, and I'll get to that now.

A little about TeckNet:

I used to be affiliated with a company that TeckNet unsuccessfully pitched to become the main UK distributor of their products. The guys giving the presentation weren't shy in revealing (or at least alluding) to the fact they buy defunct merchandise and rebrand it with their logo - that's why their stuff is so cheap. A lot of their products, including this mouse, were originally manufactured by Anker. I'm not aware of any original product to their name, but I suspect some of the free tablet cases I received from them might be their design.

So this mouse isn't counterfeit like some people choose to believe, but it is an Anker device in all entirety, rebranded with the (very ugly) TeckNet logo. Knowing this is the reason I trusted the purchase.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2014 12:54 AM BST

Vax W90-RU-B Rapide Ultra Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax W90-RU-B Rapide Ultra Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't have kids or pets - you need one, 30 Dec 2013
Great machine, exceeded all expectations, works out ridiculously cheaper than any carpet cleaning service and will last a long time if you treat it well. To quote my very old and wise landlord, owning something like this will definitely be helpful in the unforeseeable future.

My apartment supposedly has new carpet, but I used the Vax for the first time after living there for three years and the water was black - and I don't wear shoes indoors. Either someone lied to me or this thing is very efficient.

Here's some friendly advice on using this carpet cleaner for the first time:

- Vacuum your carpets first. And do it thoroughly. This machine is designed to pull in water, not physical objects, and therefor you will be left with large, wet clumps of dirty fuzz on your carpet you will have to manually remove by hand. It isn't the end of the world, but it's disgusting and worth avoiding. Even if you suck something up, there is a filter that blocks it and the dirty water tank will regurgitate it back up.

- This machine can clean hard surface floors. I've only tested it on linoleum but imagine tile will be fine as well. The brushes are soft enough to not do any damage and the suction has enough power behind it to leave your hard surface completely dry unlike the dampness you leave your carpet in. I used plain water as I didn't want to put anything but shampoo in the tank (something like bleach might cause damage). My kitchen floor is as clean as it's ever been - and I've gone through several steam cleaners in the past. Again, beware it isn't meant to suck in larger particles, so make sure your floor is free of crumbs.

- The whole "don't use any shampoo other than the Vax brand" warning is a gimmick. The manual suggests other shampoo solutions create too much foam which will damage the tank. This isn't completely true. I tested much cheaper products and ran into no issues. You can probably use a household washing detergent if you don't want to buy something else.

- The brush attachment to clean furniture isn't great. I'll probably forgo using it again. There's nothing wrong with it other than general inefficiency. HOWEVER - it's OK for cleaning the edges of your carpet at the wall. The actual machine (like any vacuum) has a guard, meaning it can only clean about two inches up to a wall, and if your carpet is dirty you will thus have dark outlines on the edges of your room. The attachment cleans those up nicely.

- Pour the contents of your dirty water tank down the toilet, not in the sink. You really don't know what has collected and bypassed your filter and can potentially clog your drains. It happened to me.

- The trigger releases water and shampoo. You're supposed to do that then go over the carpet without the trigger held to suck up the water. Actually understanding this is how the machine works early on will help you a lot. Holding down the trigger relentlessly will leave you with a very wet floor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2014 8:40 PM BST

Be Quiet Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM Case Fan
Be Quiet Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM Case Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great airflow - and quiet enough, 2 May 2013
Just to make everyone aware: there are three variants of this fan available online, but Amazon hasn't made it clear which model this is. They're differentiated by RPM, and this one is the mid-level version, clocking in at 1,500.

One of these will make my computer louder than it would normally be if it wasn't installed but it's definitely quiet enough that I hardly notice (and I have two).

The main selling point that I want to focus on is the amount of power and airflow it produces. My natural instinct suggests that quiet or silent fans = slower RPM which generally means weaker airflow. While these fans aren't silent, they run at full power with nothing more than a soft hum.

To put this into perspective, I own a 2,500 RPM fan that is four times louder and vibrates my entire case.

The product requires a four pin connection and doesn't come with any adapters. Might be problem for other people, but not me.

Lastly, installation is a dream. I'm also in ownership of fans you mount with the now common silicone grommets that, while they work great, are very difficult to reinstall. These Silent Wings fans come with plastic pins mounted on to rubber rubber fixations that both:

1.) Eliminate vibration noise and
2.) Are extremely easy to pull out should you need to remove the fan

Overall, I'm very pleased.