Profile for E. G. Fishlock-Lomax > Reviews

Content by E. G. Fishlock...

E. G. Fishlock-Lomax "helenalomax" (Stratford-upon-Avon)

Instant Russian (Teach Yourself Languages)
Instant Russian (Teach Yourself Languages)
by Elisabeth Smith
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmmmmm, 23 Aug. 2012
I agree with much of what Paul has written. Let me start with the negative comments. If it says on the front page 'over 1 million copies sold' I would expect this to apply to the book I just purchased.NOT to the total number of books by this author. Also I bought Instant Russian and Fast Russian by the same author. To me they seem identical. So what does it say to you if the million copies sold might include not only the total number of books but also (it seems to me) virtually the same book under more than one title. This seems to me to be INTRINSICALLY DISHONEST and for this reason I will never again buy a book by this author or from this publisher.

On the 'good' side (because I am fair) I liked the pace. I did learn some Russian when I was at University about 50 years ago (I am 73) but this was from a 78 NOT a university course. I do find these CDs to sound more like 'real' Russian than the 'say it slowly so they will get the pronunciation' style of those days.

My bottom line comment is, make your own decision, but I will never again buy a book by this author or from this publisher.
I believe in supporting those authors/publishers whom I believe match my standards of honesty. But make your own minds up!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2012 11:27 PM BST

History: The Definitive Visual Guide - From the Dawn of Civilization to the Present Day
by Adam Hart-Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars Accuracy NIL for a start., 27 July 2009
On page 22 it states CO(superscript 2) is carbon dioxide. WRONG. Should be CO (subscript 2). Similarly INCORRECT methane CH(superscript 4) WRONG. Should be CH(subscript 4).

How can you trust a book which starts with such elementary ERRORS?

I can't. How do I get a refund?

Sadly it will NOT ACCEPT zero stars.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2013 11:13 PM BST

The Megalithic European: The 21st Century Traveller in Prehistoric Europe
The Megalithic European: The 21st Century Traveller in Prehistoric Europe
by Julian Cope

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment., 5 Feb. 2006
This could have been such a GREAT book.
Sadly, in my opinion, besmirching good photos of serious monuments is pollution. Who wants to see photos of (in my opinion) ugly hippies pretending to hold up leaning stones?
How many tons of stones and consummate artistry are desecrated by such (in my opinion) vandalism?
Shame on the publishers, in my opinion. Sadly, it could have been a GREAT book. Why not just leave out the 'comics'?
My personal advice is DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2015 5:31 PM GMT

Cats from the Scandinavian Woods: A Study of Norwegian Forest Cats
Cats from the Scandinavian Woods: A Study of Norwegian Forest Cats
by Mary-Rose Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect introduction to the Norwegian Forest Cat, 18 Nov. 2003
We really enjoyed this book! Having been owned by this breed it was great to learn about their history and was obviously written by an exerienced and very loving breeder. The author captures the personality of this charming breed very well and the photographs of the varying colours were lovely. There is also information on Showing and breeding and a common sense view with regard to the indoor/outdoor debate.
I would suggest anyone considering a Forest Cat to read this book and I think you may well find yourself convinced that this is the breed for you!

What Have You Got to Lose?: The Great Weight Debate and How to Diet Successfully
by Shelley Bovey

1.0 out of 5 stars What have you got to lose?, 9 July 2002
I was very disappointed in this book. The first chapter seemed very keen to alienate and indeed make fun of slender women and also to almost 'demonise' them. I do accept that large women suffer but so do slender ones. I am so sad that the first chapter seemed, in my opinion, to degenerate into a 'war' between slender and fat women.
All women have problems with their body image. Slender women like myself feel upset because we do not have 'curves' and large women want to be smaller! How I wished that Shelley could have explored WHY so few of us feel happy with ourselves, fat or slim, and why she did not stress the health factor. It is
possible to be larger or smaller than 'average' and still healthy.
I remain unconvinced that fat is healthy and there is a big difference between being a little overweight and medically obese.
Obesity is a big problem. For example, in the UK, 1 in 10 children are medically obese and and 1 in 3 overweight. This must mean more health problems being stored up for the next generation. Yet some sections of the media seem keen to convince us that we have an anorexia epidemic that is 'blamed' quite often on slender role models. Yet, when I watch TV, I am amazed by the sheer diversity of role models in for example, soaps.
I read this book to try and understand large women and how they feel, but after reading it I felt totally lost, and also very alienated. I may try to understand large ladies but the compliment seems not to have been returned by Ms Bovey!
Founder, Size 8 Club
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2010 10:14 PM BST

Kingdom of the Ark: That Startling Story of How the Ancient British Race is Descended from the Pharaohs
by Lorraine Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Are you descended from the Pharaohs?, 3 Dec. 2000
Whether or not Meritaten escaped before the end of the Amarna Period (Ancient Egypt) does not affect the importance of this book which provides very strong evidence of Ancient Egyptian emigration to Europe and, eventually, to parts of Britain and Ireland.
The author is described as an Egyptologist but may not have endeared herself to others of her profession. Nevertheless it needs pointing out that academics live by their reputation and if they choose a "blind alley" they are liable to turn a "blind eye" to new evidence which contradicts their theories.
It is entirely plausible that highly placed Ancient Egyptians "saw trouble coming" and escaped. Egyptian boats were found near Hull. Faience in other British locations.
Are they YOUR distant relatives? Are you O blood group or does your DNA correlate with Tutankhamun's? Fascinating reading.