Profile for Cdcollector > Reviews

Content by Cdcollector

Cdcollector "Musiclover" (Sweden)

Symphony No. 5 (sacd,plays on all cd players)
Symphony No. 5 (sacd,plays on all cd players)

2.0 out of 5 stars Bjorn, 27 Nov. 2013
I have never encountered a Mahlerrecording so lame and so lacking in vision. The second movement is a good example for this. The Orchestra plays great, the performance lacks bite, vision and desperation and have nothing to do with Mahlers World as I see it. As an admirer of this ensemble and conductor, I am puzzled over this low-mark of reading of a major Classic. This is absolutely a recording to pass. Listen to Barbirolli, Karajan, Haitink and above all Bernstein in Vienna instead for the real thing!

An Alpine Symphony, Opus 64
An Alpine Symphony, Opus 64

2.0 out of 5 stars Edo de Waarts postcard from the Alps, 11 Jan. 2013
Edo de Waart made some impressive recordings for Philips in the seventies that I really would like to hear again, his Janacek, Prokofiev and Weill to mention some of them. I was eager to hear his Strauss because I think de Waart is a very fine conductor and can really impress sometimes. This recording is however not one of his finest achievement on disc. This performace is very beautiful but so slow to a fault and the dynamics and contrasts in the music are absent. This is simply dull!! The finest moment is "ausklang" the epilogue, very beautiful, and the introduction before the sunrise is also fine, but as soon the action begins, no one seems to want to be on the journey. With so many fine recordings in the catalogue, Kempe in Dresden (EMI), Karajan in Berlin (DG), Thielemann in Vienna (DG), and my favorite: Haitink in Amsterdam (Philips) I can not honestly say that this disc will take shelfspace in my collection. The orchestra is competent without the brilliance of the orchestras in my reference recordings mentioned above. I advice collectors to pass this one unless you want a performance of this piece without any drama.

Symphony 4
Symphony 4
Offered by France CDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Mahler and Colin Davis, 14 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Symphony 4 (Audio CD)
There are few comercial recordings of Colin Davis conducting Mahler. No 1 (Novalis), 8 (RCA) and Das Lied von der Erde (Philips) and this very fine recording of the fourth. It seems like this symphony brings out the best of all conductors. I have heard many recordings and no one is really bad. This is a truly magnificent and very personal performance. The first movement goes fast but it never seems hurried. The second mixes malice and light as it should. The slow movement is beutiful and so is Angel Maria Blasis singing in the last movement. The cd has very fine sound and can be recomended without hesitation. Maby we could have a Mahler ninth with Colin Davis?

Shostakovich: Symphony No.10
Shostakovich: Symphony No.10
Offered by \/\/ WORLD WIDE MEDIA MARKET /\/\

5.0 out of 5 stars Soltis best Shostakovich?, 14 Sept. 2012
Solti came late to Shostakovich in his conducting career. He made recordings of 1,5,8,9,10,13,15 but no more. I must say I did not like his version of the eight, the tenth is magnificent the rest was acceptable. The tenth is something special here. I think this is Shostakovich finest orchestral piece and the impression is that so did Solti. This is a strong, powerful and nicely judged reading that easily can be recomended. The playing is impressive and the recorded sound state-of-the-art. Karajans both DG recordings, Jansons on EMI and Petrenko on Naxos are also good alternatives but I would not like to be without this strongly characterized music making the CSO and Solti deliver. For those who have not heard it, let us hope for a reissue from Decca.

Bruckner: Symphony No. 3, "Wagner Symphony"
Bruckner: Symphony No. 3, "Wagner Symphony"

4.0 out of 5 stars Bruckner from Stockholm, 14 Sept. 2012
Sakari Oramo and the Royal Stockholm philharmonic made a very fin Mahler first for the same label a couple of years ago. Now they are back with Bruckners third. Good to see that they did not record "another 4th" but the less famous third. This is a very fine symphony, very original and is very powerful music. I liked this performace. The tempi is right, phrasing is fine and the scherzo is the highlight with a very ryhtmic ländler. All in all, Oramo and the fine orchestra gives us a third I could recomend without reservation if it would not been for the recorded sound that has way to much reverberance that seems totally unnatural and must have been done at the mixertable. A major drawback for an otherwise fine recording. The sound is in stereo and sacd stereo. I have been in Stockholm concert house and I have heard other recordings, for instance the Schumann symphony cyle on sony with same artists. The recorded sound is magnificent on these recordings. Why EXTON do you almost spoil a fine performance with this kind of artificial sound?

Beethoven: The Symphonies
Beethoven: The Symphonies
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Pletnevs Beethoven, 30 Oct. 2007
The booklet proudly announces that this is Beethoven as we never heard it before. True, and we must be grateful for that. The new thing about this set is that Pletnev make strange musical decisions with sudden ritardandi, small pauses and extreme tempi. The sixths first mvt. goes in a hurry and is totally unidiomatic. The wind section, french horns in general, are seldom allowed to be heard. Listen to the finale of the fifth and seventh symphonies. The coda of the eroica is not exciting at all. The orchestra responds very well to Pletnevs direction but nothing sounds spontaneous just odd. I applaud Pletnevs view that a good musical performance must be personal and not based on authentic schoolarship, but in my ears, this is almost a total failure. Avoid!