Profile for EarlR > Reviews

Content by EarlR

EarlR

Mein Kampf (The Ford Translation)
Mein Kampf (The Ford Translation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to read, lots of research., 4 July 2012
With all the talk about Mein Kampf, the comedy knock off of it in Japan, and the interest in India, I had to see what was so interesting to all of these people. I am glad I did.

I am pretty anal about everything and I don't buy a book without doing my homework. I did a lot of checking and found out there were several translations or versions of Mein Kampf. I even went to my local library and checked out a copy. The only one they had was Manheim's translation. I immediately saw why everyone kept saying it was boring and hard to read, because it was. From my research it sounded like this translation, the Ford translation, was the best and it turns out it was. It was easy to understand and the inserted notes really helped me follow what was being discussed.

Also get the publisher's other book Mein Kampf A Translation Controversy. It has more information on the book(I would suggest getting it used which is cheaper because the last half is just analysis of old translations). It will really change how you see WWI WWII and world events today.

Guerrilla Warfare
Guerrilla Warfare
by Ernesto Che Guevara
Price: 5.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but not the whole story., 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Guerrilla Warfare (Paperback)
This is a great book but not the whole story. I think it needed more balance. Che is portrayed(always by the media) as a great guy, honest and fair. He was actually a cold blooded killer who enjoyed war and had no interest in the people. Look at what he did to them in Cuba? He put a ruthless dictator in power and when the war was over he got bored and left to fight elsewhere.
Read the book but do more research to understand the truth.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 4:10 PM GMT

Mein Kampf
Mein Kampf
by Adolf Hitler

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent edition, 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: Mein Kampf (Paperback)
This is an excellent edition of Mein Kampf.

If you are not familiar with the book then here is a quick history.
Originally it was published in German, in Germany. English speakers wanted to read it so an abridged version was translated by a man named Dougdale. That edition was shortened and not well received. A man named Murphy translated the Official Nazi Edition which is also available today, however it has some errors and is shorter than the original German. Then in the USA Manheim translated a new english version in 1943 I think. That version was poorly translated and also had many errors plus parts were missing and some parts were left untranslated. So you see that in the past there were no good choices for the English speaker who wanted to read Mein Kampf...until now.

This new edition is easier to read, it has historical notes in the text, and it is more accurate than the other translations. It is by the same company that produced "Mein Kampf: A translation controversy". Another great book that I recommend which lists errors in the older editions and it has a historical explanation of Mein Kampf which will help you understand it better. This book is based on that book which shows clearly that this book is well researched and more accurate than past translations.

Get this edition if you want to truly understand Hitler's words. If you want to struggle through poorly written copy, read censored versions, or confusing editions, then get Manheim or Murphy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 3:49 AM BST

Mein Kampf: A Translation Controversy
Mein Kampf: A Translation Controversy
by Michael Ford
Price: 8.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference for mein kampf, 31 July 2010
I purchased the Ford translation of Mein Kampf and in the introduction it recommended this book, Mein Kampf A Translation Controversy.

First, you should know this book is Not Mein Kampf. It is an analysis of the book and it also analyzes past translations.

The author did an amazing job and I really enjoyed going through it, especially after reading Mein Kampf(see my review for it).

The first half of this book is an analysis which talks about the history of Mein Kampf and Hitler's style, why some things are in the book and also why some things were removed during its printing history. The second part of the book shows errors in older translations. The author lists the original German, the older translations, then the corrected translation and explains why the corrected version is correct.

My German is a bit rusty but I can see he did an amazing job and spent a lot of time researching meaning, not just the meaning of the word but what Hitler meant based on his speeches and actions. He also spent a lot of time researching what might seem like an insignificant word to get the translation just perfect. He dedicates about 5 pages explaining why he chose to translate Hitler's newspaper as Race Watcher which apparently has generated a lot of controversy, but I see his point and he makes it well. I am really shocked at the detail he went into and found the entire book compelling as well as educational.

I see the publisher has some other books on Hitler and I am going to order them now. I hope they are as good as the two I have already read.

Mein Kampf: The New Ford Translation
Mein Kampf: The New Ford Translation
by Adolf Hitler
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent edition, 31 July 2010

I don't think our high school library even had a copy of the book. It was one of those mysterious things you hear about but never see for some reason. It is like people are afraid if they have it, it will bring bad luck. Foolishness! It is just a book and what it contains is nothing like what I expected. I thought it was going to be a racist rant from beginning to end but it was not. It was a fascinating book. The translator's introduction was also very informative.

I am pretty anal about everything and I don't buy a book without doing my homework. I did a lot of checking and found out there were several translations or versions of Mein Kampf. I even went to my local library and checked out a copy. The only one they had was Manheim's translation. I immediately saw why everyone kept saying it was boring and hard to read, it was. From my research it sounded like this translation, the Ford translation, was the best and it turns out it was. It was easy to understand and the inserted notes really helped me follow what was being discussed.

This is an excellent book. You can easily mentally filter out the few anti-semetic remarks and learn a lot about history and political events from it. Anyone with an interest in history should read this book. Also get the publisher's other book Mein Kampf A Translation Controversy. It has more information on the book(I would suggest getting it used which is cheaper because the last half is just analysis of old translations in the) but get the hardcover Mein Kampf Ford edition new or used, as long as you get it and of course read it. It will really change how you see WWI WWII and world events today.