Profile for Glitter girl > Reviews

Content by Glitter girl

Glitter girl

Dorcas And The Rainbow Corridor
Dorcas And The Rainbow Corridor

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, mysticism and vampires - what's not to love?, 6 Sept. 2013
I downloaded this book for my eight-year-old son, as he's a big Harry Potter fan and thought this was of the same ilk. It was a tiny bit too hard for him (and he's an above average reader) so I read it to him instead, which was an absolute pleasure - I enjoyed it as much as he did (win/win!). Although it's set in a school for witches and wizards, don't think this is a re-worked version of JK Rowling's novels. There's plenty of originality here in terms of the story, characters and themes. Expect mysticism as well as magic with a light sprinkling of Cornish folklore, plus there's enough vampire action to excite the most ardent Twilight Saga lover. The race against time adds a cracking pace, making it a real page-turner, but best of all, the fearless yet flawed Dorcas is an endearing heroine who we'd love to see more of - fingers crossed there's a second instalment!

Sony CDX-GT35U CD MP3 Car Stereo with Aux Input and Full Face Off
Sony CDX-GT35U CD MP3 Car Stereo with Aux Input and Full Face Off

2.0 out of 5 stars Not built to last, 8 Nov. 2011
I bought this CD player in December 2010. It sounded great and I was very happy with it. Eleven months later and the CD player no longer works - it says there's a 'Disc Error' every time I insert a CD, even with brand new ones. I wouldn't mind if it had been used a lot, but I don't drive much. I am very disappointed with this product.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good suction, but too noisy and heavy, 7 April 2011
This is the first handheld vac that I've purchased, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it doesn't disappoint in terms of suction - it's pretty powerful and sucks up just about anything. I bought it to hoover up the hair that my cat leaves all over the sofas, and this removes it well, although I do have to use the bristles at the end of the nozzle quite firmly to lift the hair away from the sofa. However, this product has two major drawbacks: 1) it's too heavy, which is a bit of a pain considering it's handheld, and 2) it's unbelievably loud. It sounds like a helicopter's taking off whenever I use it and my son hates it. Sometimes it's even given me a headache after just a few minutes of use (and I'm not pone to headaches). As a result of the weight and noise, I'd never buy this model again.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2011 1:56 PM BST

Black & Decker PV1805CN Limited Edition 18V Chrome Pivot Nose Dustbuster
Black & Decker PV1805CN Limited Edition 18V Chrome Pivot Nose Dustbuster
Offered by Dealsdirect247

3.0 out of 5 stars Good suction, but far too noisy and heavy, 7 April 2011
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2011 9:27 AM BST

Adore Yourself Slim
Adore Yourself Slim
by Lisa Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS REALLY WORKS!, 9 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Adore Yourself Slim (Paperback)
I'm not usually one for gushing about books on Amazon (this is my first review in fact), but Adore Yourself Slim has really worked for me and so I wanted to let other people know that this really isn't just another gimmicky weight-loss book.
I bought a copy in mid-January when I was feeling like an overgrown stuffed turkey, having put on the usual few pounds over Christmas. And since then I've lost half a stone, all thanks to this book - and I really don't lose weight easily either. Yes, the book has great tips and advice on diet, exercise, staying motivated etc, just like a lot of other weight-loss books - the author, Lisa Jackson, is a health journalist so you'd expect her to be able to cover all the usual weight-loss topics in a thorough, succinct way, and she certainly sounds like she knows what she's talking about. But the reason this has really worked for me is because of the hypnosis CD. Don't think it's like Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin - when I saw Adore Yourself Slim had a hypnosis CD, I must admit that I was slightly put off because of my past experience with the Paul McKenna one. Not only did I not lose any weight with that product, but I found his voice so irritating, plus I really dislike the way he sounds like he's bullying you into losing weight - and he doesn't give any fitness or nutritional advice either (well, what would he know about that really, seeing as he's just a hypnotist!). Lisa Jackson, however, has such a soothing, calming, nurturing voice that it makes being brainwashed into dropping the pounds a complete pleasure.
This book has also really made me think about and realise what's made me put on weight in the first place and why I've failed to lose weight in the past, so I've been able to work out where I've been going wrong and have made some changes that I can hopefully maintain.
The other main reason I really like this book is because the author has such an infectious upbeat attitude - as l was reading it and listening to the CD, I felt like she was there with me, cheering me on every step of the way, as if I had my very own positive thinking coach next to me. In the end Lisa Jackson made me feel that if she can lose weight, so can I - and I have done. It's all mind over matter, and now I finally feel like I'm on the way to losing the stone I've wanted to shed for as long as I can remember.