Profile for brightonpiers > Reviews

Content by brightonpiers

brightonpiers "piers" (brighton, uk)

Logitech MK260 Wireless Desktop USB Keyboard Mouse Combo
Logitech MK260 Wireless Desktop USB Keyboard Mouse Combo
Offered by Shoplet-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap and nasty, 31 Oct 2013
I used to have one of the larger logitech keyboard and mouse sets which was superb, but this one is small, cheap and nasty. Furthermore, after just six months, the keyboard has stopped working, and no, it's not the batteries. Trying to find warranty information, wish I hadn't thrown the box away last month.

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

3.0 out of 5 stars eventually got a reasonable pair., 22 Aug 2013
I've waiting a good enough to time to write a review so here it is. I had about 4 pairs which lasted between several weeks and several days before packing up, despite just being attached to the computer and never being taken out into the real world. My final pair lasted around a year and a half. Without fail one side would start to buzz and then fail. The plastic stalk that protects the flex where it goes into the bud is also brittle and broke, but super glue fixed that. I've just noticed this has a three year warranty so I will be contacting RHA again, although I don't see how a pair would ever last three years.
To their credit their customer service is flawless, but they seem to have some quality control issues.

ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO
ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO

2.0 out of 5 stars too many problems, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO (Accessory)
I didn't have a problem building the pc, installing windows and generally setting it up but there was no way the onboard sound was going to work with this motherboard. I searched many forums but found no answers. Then I contacted Asus technical support by phone who keep you on hold for an age on an 0870 number before telling you they don't deal with motherboard issues over the phone. You have to email them, and they get back to you in their own sweet time.
They give themselves a comfortable 48 hours to contact you, and you'd be surprised how much of a computer's funtionality you miss with no sound. They made a few suggestions including some I'd already said I'd tried, and then told me to return the board. Thankfully this was to be done via Amazon, who sent a replacement board straight away. So in the meantime I had to take the computer apart, rebuild my old system, reinstalling windows etc. (and the sound worked perfectly here). Then the new motherboard arrived and the whole build process had to start again. I'd already bought a sound card by this point in anticipation of failure. Indeed, once again there was no onboard sound with the new motherboard, so I used the sound card, which worked. Of course I shouldn't have to do this, but dealing with Asus email technical support (which is a disgracefully poor piece of customer service), is incredibly dispiriting. Also, rebuilding your computer over and over again is a massive chore.
Other problems include the well documented double boot - an ailment my computer has also contracted. Also, often when I turn the computer on I get an error message saying the overclocking has failed, when the only 'overclocking' I use is the simple turbo option in the BIOS.
There's nothing terminal about this motherboard, and to more enthusiastic and knowledgeable users it has a lot to offer. But so far, it has given me a lot of problems. I have heard that the technical support offered by other leading motherboard makers is even worse than Asus's.

Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6
Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6
by Roland Hess

5.0 out of 5 stars get a serious headstart with this book., 24 Aug 2011
I decided before I even started using blender that I was not going to get lost in a sea of online video tutorials, dipping in here and there and learning little. So I got this book, started at page 1 and that was that. Roland Hess knows his subject, but more importantly can write about it in a way that is very readable. You will achieve far more than you imagined you could in a very short amount of time. It's a long book, but whilst you should definitely start at the beginning if you're a novice, you don't necessarily have to finish it. I probably got about half way through before moving on to other projects, and am now ready to get back to it after several months. It can be quite heavy going, so you have to apply yourself - think of it as like a school text book, and your dedication will pay off. This book was written for the beta version of blender 2.5 but is still perfectly appropriate to the latest blender release. Pay a bit of money, get a good book on your desk, don't look back!

Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Friction Control
Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Friction Control

2.0 out of 5 stars over rated, 15 Jun 2011
I had several issues with this head. Firstly the plate, being metal, does not fit onto the head with absolute security and tightness. With a heavy telephoto I got a distinct wobble, which immediately defeats the purpose of spending good money on a tripod head. I've not had this problem with even the cheapest of tripods.
Secondly, I believe the friction control is basically redundant; an unnecessary feature I could live without, perhaps only included to justify the expense. The model this head replaced did not have it.
Thirdly, whilst not using the head over the winter, I stored it inside the house and after a couple of months the 'safety button' (also pretty much redundant) became stuck in the up position. I had to pay to return it to Manfrotto for a warranty repair, but they don't tell you upfront whether they'll charge you for it. They said the inner workings had become corroded (whilst stored inside!), and said this was my fault. However the mighty powers that be at Manfrotto grudgingly decided to repair it for free before returning it...to the wrong address.
On a final note, I used this head with the 190 tripod and frankly it made for a heavy combination that you would not want to carry around for long. In summary, the combination was heavy and unstable and overall less satisfying than the cheapo Velbon that was replaced by it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 12:13 PM GMT

OXFORD AQUATEX MEDIUM MOTORCYCLE COVER SILVER/BLACK OF925
OXFORD AQUATEX MEDIUM MOTORCYCLE COVER SILVER/BLACK OF925

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for price but clip is hopeless, 5 May 2011
This cover isn't too bad for the money, certainly as good as the Halfords cover I got for £30 a few years back. I haven't used it over the winter though. However, a big problem with it is the clip on the underside. It is guaranteed to come undone in gusty weather (and I'm writing this in the spring). The other night the clip came undone, the cover came off and the bike fell over. I assume the cover flapping around caught the wind and pulled the bike over. A hook and eye arrangement would be cheaper and more effective. Now I'm reluctant to put the cover on if the weather looks bad - what's the point of it then?

Family Guy - Season 5 [DVD]
Family Guy - Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane

3.0 out of 5 stars on the slide, 6 Jan 2007
This review is from: Family Guy - Season 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Family guy has gone over the hill and is sliding down the other side. I was a big fan of this cartoon and was eagerly awaiting this series but over three DVD's I must have laughed just a few times. The writing has lost the subtlety/wit/surrealism that made it so refreshing. Gone the way of the Simpsons but after far fewer seasons.