Profile for A. J. Molenaar > Reviews

Content by A. J. Molenaar

A. J. Molenaar "Black & White Hitter" (Volendam, Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2
Hot August Night
Hot August Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Neil is Good, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Hot August Night (Audio CD)
I heard this one in the 80's when I was 16/17, I was into HardRock at the time but liked it still.
So when I saw this one, I gave it a Try.
Wow, the sound is great [1973!!], some albums now don't sound this good. And there's great playing (and singing).
I remebered the into, love that part still and it jumps into G P Suite, great song!
All the songs are great! and there's the Xtr's.
If you like Neil Diamond, than this is even better, Live Neil is great.

The Riddle (Expanded Edition)
The Riddle (Expanded Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nik's Second With Extra's, 25 Oct. 2013
Remasters like these are a treat, and the extra's make it even better, the b'sides, 12" and live stuff.
I don't need to tell you Nik Kershaw is great, just listen.

Chasing shadows (1986)
Chasing shadows (1986)

4.0 out of 5 stars Comsat Shadows, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Chasing shadows (1986) (Audio CD)
I just missed this one and i have to get to know this one jet.
It's not like Land and certanly not like My Mind's Eye, But like all good albums, they need to grow on you.
Needs more time on my ears jet.

One To One / Cross That Line / In The Running Box Set
One To One / Cross That Line / In The Running Box Set
Offered by Howard Jones Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great job on the Remasters, 16 Dec. 2012
Howard Jones has done a great job on these remasters, they sparkle more (beter high), there's more definition.
And this comes with 2 bonus cd's. My favourite from these 3 is "In The Running"; one of the best albums in 1992.
I esspecially love "Falling Away", but all the songs are good. If You're a fan grab it while you can. I was too late with the Human's Lib/Dream into Action Remaster box and regret this still.

My Mind's Eye
My Mind's Eye

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did this not Shine?, 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: My Mind's Eye (Audio CD)
If you don't Know the Comsat Angels, Shame on You! This was one of the best bands in the 80's and the 90's as well.
Why? Just Listen; great songs, well played, no ego's, just everything in sevice of the songs.
This Eye is darker than the "Land" and "7 days weekend" albums, the guitar is back again up front, slicing, or grinding, just listen to "Beautiful Monster", There's no screaming, it's singing and it hits you right where it should; in the heart.
Back in the 90's this was a big surprise to me, I got accostumed to "Land" and "7 Day Weekend", but this Eye pushes further than "Waiting For A Miracle" and "Sleep No More". I Love all the Angelic Albums, but this one is one of their best! And it really beats me why this didn't get the attention that it deserves.

So [25th Anniversary Deluxe Box set]
So [25th Anniversary Deluxe Box set]
Offered by Hot Cakes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album Even Better, 16 Dec. 2012
The Remaster sounds better. The Extra's are Great and the package does it all.
Though it does cost a Buck; it's worth it. The Athens show on DVD and CD are great, this was Peter at it's best.
I saw the concert twice and saw Peter on every occasion ever since and will be going to see him again in 2013 with the "Back To Front Tour", but I just love this tour; just listen to "Games Without Frontiers" and you'll know what I'm talking about. Even within the package also the classic album DVD; great to see how it was made back then. Personly I did not really care for the Vinyls, but there is also the Digital Download with the extra's which did not make it on the album. A large picturebook completes the Box Set. This package is for Fans. And I think I am one of them!

THE FIXX-BEAUTIFUL FRICTION
THE FIXX-BEAUTIFUL FRICTION
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars It Grows on You, 16 Dec. 2012
I am a Fixx fan from the start, first the Vinyls and then the Cd's, I got them all.
This one I was not really fond of right away, I liked the quirky synthsounds by Rupert, I liked the sparkling guitar by Jamie.
Beautiful Friction is more woven intwined, more mellower, not soft but eh different, but the Fixx took this path ealier on.
So the guys grew older and perhaps wiser. I needed to listen to the album more and more and than it grows on you.
All the great albums do this, they grab you and thighten their grasp every time you listen. This one does so too. Everytime you discover new things, sounds, lyrics (I'm More a Soundman).
I had to give it time to grow on me, please do the same. And guys, please don't keep us waiting so long for another album.

EI8HT
EI8HT

5.0 out of 5 stars Nik Does it Again (Never Doubted him for a second!!), 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: EI8HT (Audio CD)
Just listen to the opening song "These Tears". This is what everybody wants for an opening!
The guitar kicks you right out of your chair, right up on the floor, than it holds back and than the song takes off.
The whole album contains jewels, Nik writes great songs and he can really put it a disc too. (really nice playing)
You'll never hear Nik's new songs on the Radio. And I can't understand why! Nik's music is timeless.
And the Humor in lyric's is great, I'm more a soundman; I tend not to take notice of lyric's very often.
But "Shoot Me", "You're The Best" and "Stuff", to name just a few; man this is great!
But I listen more to the music, and Nik really makes great music.
Sometimes I want to preserve Nik's Music just for me, But that's not right, Nik deserves a bigger audience.

Actors & Liars
Actors & Liars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Actors & Liars (MP3 Download)
Four guys from Volendam, the Netherlands, make a great debutalbum. This is a dream come true for lots of musicians, working with an international topproducer like Alan Branch. But these guys deserve working with Alan Branch and why? Well because they make original music, spiked with lots of ingredients from the past. It's Folklike, it's indie, there's sure some rock in there, but it sure is beautiful. Frank Bond has a fragile voice and captures you with fine woven lyrics. But it's the great songs that get a hold of you. Sometimes a simple walz with acoustic guitars topped with the eerie organ on a simple drum rhythm in "Politics" or sweeping you away, like a minstrels song with a flute like in "Arms of the arts". "Never cry wolf" is the absolute high on the album and with 6:37 it's more epos like, starting quietly and sweeping you across with a roaring guitar in the back and a banjo on top. But while sweeping you away, it never looses the intimacy. You can compare them with Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver, but they have there own sound. "I will go" is yet another song that starts of simple but will start you dancing in the end. There are more fine jewels here, so listen, you won't be disappointed.

Tarney Spencer Band - Run For Your Life + (Digipak)
Tarney Spencer Band - Run For Your Life + (Digipak)
Offered by music-discount

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last, On Cd, 9 Mar. 2011
I've been searching for this CD for over 20 years, Why?
Well maybe because I like it so much. I learned about the Tarney/Spencer band with their single "Cathy's Clown".
I bought the single right away and I liked the b-side "Anything I Can Do" even better. Both are on this CD too.
So I went back for "Run For You Life" and it stayed on my recordplayer for the rest of the month (And a Lot ever since).
It's Pop music, but to me great popmusic. And it's got 4 bonus tracks, get it while you can.
When you like Tony Mansfield with New Musik, then this is a must.

Page: 1 | 2