Profile for LbugRage > Reviews

The Best Recipe
The Best Recipe
by Cook's Illustrated Magazine

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY cookbook I use., 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
My husband and I received this as a gift from my mother - a die hard Cooks Illustrated fan. It sat around on our counter for a while and we finally used it one night to roast a chicken. Since then we have been hooked and it now proudly sits in our kitchen covered in grease stains with the cover barely hanging on by a thread. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad dish of the recipes I've tried - all are amazing and I get lots of compliments from dinner guests each time. This is coming from someone who before using this book could really only make macaroni and cheese out of the box. Honestly, if you can read, you can make any of these recipes and you will feel like a true chef, even if you have basic or no skills. It gives very specific and easy to follow directions, with illustrations, for all of the essential basics and beyond of cooking and baking. Don't know how to brine a chicken? Don't worry it tells you exactly how. Don't know how to properly select a particular cut of meat? Don't worry, it tells you how. The book is great for savory, soups, desserts, baking, you name it.

If you're looking for a book with pretty pictures of final dishes, this book isn't for you. If you want to learn skills that you can use over and over again and make some amazing dishes, this is for you. You cannot go wrong with this cookbook - you honestly can get rid of all of your other cookbooks.

Note: Cooking temperatures are all in farenheit because it's an American cookbook. I have no idea if there's a version that gives the temps in celcius. I'm American and now live in London and I have to convert the temps each time to celcius, but I don't care, it's worth it.