Profile for Square Peg 4 Round Hole > Reviews

Content by Square Peg 4 R...

Square Peg 4 Round Hole (Southern England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Silent State: Secrets, Surveillance and the Myth of British Democracy
The Silent State: Secrets, Surveillance and the Myth of British Democracy

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading in all secondary schools, 30 May 2013
If you live in the allegedly "United" Kingdom and were under the impression that your elected representatives were working in yours and the country's interests, then Heather Brooke's 'The Silent State' will dispel that myth. I've been around long enough to know that those in authority are not the paragons of virtue that they purport to be, but until I read this book I didn't realise how bad things have become. Using a series of well-researched and well-documented examples, the author exposes practices that the adjective "dubious" doesn't do justice to, and throughout the book I had to ask myself how things had become so bad. Although the book finishes on a somewhat triumphant note, with the author hopeful that things will get better, I'm sorry to say that the situation has become worse, so I'm hoping that a follow-up will be forthcoming. I'd recommend that this book be accepted into the Nation Curriculum at secondary level - if we have the power to change anything we need to get our up-and-coming voters aware of what they're letting themselves into. Read this book - you won't regret it.

12 TWELVE AMAZING SCIENCE FICTION STORIES OF THE 50'S AND 60'S
12 TWELVE AMAZING SCIENCE FICTION STORIES OF THE 50'S AND 60'S

3.0 out of 5 stars Great content, poor formatting, 9 Jun. 2012
The first story in this collection, The Machine That Saved the World, is a great introduction to classic sci-fi, and I found the adjective "un-putdownable" a worthy one. I believe the other stories to be of a similar quality, so I'm looking forward to those too. The atmosphere conjured up while reading brings back memories of the movie "Forbidden Planet".

The book formatting though is poor though, and I'd say that you have to be a pretty dedicated fan of the genre to overcome this and finish the entire collection. If you're okay with that, then go ahead and buy. If the publisher could fix the formatting I'd give it at least an extra star.

The Day the Earth Stood Still [DVD] [2008]
The Day the Earth Stood Still [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars The day the earth.. Fell asleep, 20 Aug. 2011
I had high hopes for this remake, but having stupidly failed to make the connection between the intro set on a mountain in India and goodness knows how long spent watching CGI created by interns and respected actors committing career suicide, i've decided to donate this one to charity. And I apologise to the charity concerned in advance.

I agree with the other one-star commenters: go get the original, and give this turkey a wide berth!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2012 12:14 PM BST

William And Kate: The Movie [DVD]
William And Kate: The Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Camilla Luddington
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite the surprise, one thinks!, 27 April 2011
We're not big fans of the Royals, but at this price it seemed too good to miss, so an order was placed and the DVD arrived yesterday. Based on other reviews, I was expecting layers of cheese, with extra cheese on top as only the American film industry knows how, but you know, it really wasn't that bad!

The scenery was convincing, the actors were pretty good, and the plot, (I think) was close to real-life events, but I now need to go and visit some online newspaper back-issues to find out for sure. Talking of the cast, the leading man played a very creditable William, and in fact, I have to say that the real Wills is somewhat disappointing as a result. Likewise "Kate" - she was a very close lookalike, and the two seemed to gel onscreen. Prince Charles is gamefully played but is only close in voice.

As regards the interpretation of the Royal Scenario, I can only guess as to its accuracy, but as Kate realises that she's dating a man who's life is not his own, the refusal of the monarchy and all the associated hangers-on to move into the 21st Century becomes all too clear. It also gives some idea of what it's like to live with the Paparazzi 24/7 and if that's what she really wants then she's welcome to it. In the movie, Wills has b*lls and actually comes across as a forceful character: whether he's like this in real life I don't know, but I suspect not, but for the sake of his late Mother I hope he has. And incidentally, this subject was briefly touched on, leaving the question of her real fate open-ended again. Kudos to the producers for including that one.

The only disappointment for us was that they didn't marry in the movie, but I guess with a low budget one can't expect that :-) Overall then, I'd give it 4/5 and would say that it makes an entertaining 88 minutes viewing.

Binatone Mimo Credit Sized Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black / Cream
Binatone Mimo Credit Sized Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black / Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Less is definitely more, 10 April 2011
I bought this little gem in anticipation of a trip abroad to Ireland and have not been disappointed - in fact, I'll recommend it: the only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that it won't work with a 3 UK SIM. In the case of the Binatone, less is definitely more. Don't worry about roaming charges; just buy this phone and get yourself a PAYG SIM when you get to your destination.

I bought it, charged it up and took it off for a week in the Emerald Isle. I bought a cheap PAYG SIM, installed it, and was making calls within minutes. You'll realise of course that this is a rare breed: it's designed to make calls and send SMS TXT - that's it! What you get in return is reliability (no frozen handset), excellent battery life - about 2-3 days, and robustness. It's very compact and the buttons are very positive, so practically no miskeying. One thing I really liked was the clarity of speech - even more impressive when you consider the distance of the handset microphone from your mouth. There's an undocumented feature to lock the keyboard by pressing and holding the "*" key. The small display is bright and clear, but not too small to make reading it uncomfortable. There are 6 truly cheesy ringtones and you'll need to find the least embarrassing. The only real annoyance is what seems to be a proprietary plug on the charger: it's not quite a micro USB so you can't use your normal generic charger to save baggage space.

Overall I'd say that this is a real bargain and I'm looking forward to taking it abroad again.

John Carpenter: Christine Original Soundtrack [SOUNDTRACK]
John Carpenter: Christine Original Soundtrack [SOUNDTRACK]
Offered by Chris' Soundtrack Corner

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it seems to be, 13 Jan. 2011
This CD is a BIG disappointment: it's like they have just recorded the incidental music and put it on CD. No classic rock tracks at all, so unless you like synth music and can remember where you heard it in the movie, don't bother.

I'll give it 2 because it arrived quickly and the picture on the front is good.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2015 6:00 PM GMT

Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology
Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars A top-quality product at the right price, 6 Dec. 2010
I've been looking at getting a PoGo for some time now, but it's only recently that the price has come down to a reasonable level, so I bought one. The plan was to use it mainly to print test shots from 2 Nikon DLSRs and a Canon Powershot G7 (connected via USB cable) when I'm out taking pictures, and it has the added bonus of being accessible via BlueTooth from my cellphone, the Inq Mini 3G: there were no connection problems with this.

I unpacked it, charged it for the recommended 2.5 hours and then popped in the supplied pack of 10 photo paper sheets. The charger also includes a UK mains to US adaptor. I've also invested in an additional pack of 70 as I have a feeling that I'll be having lots of fun with this! Build quality is excellent and there's a lot of metal in the product.

In use it's very good: the printer seems to resize anything sent to it, so no worries about in-camera/phone editing first. The print appears in under 30 seconds and is instantly dry to touch. Peeling the back off prints (to reveal sticky) will be difficult for those without fingernails and the "paper" is practically indestructible. For those confused folk (including me), the paper goes in shiny side UP, and when you load paper, make sure you lift the lid until it clicks, otherwise the blue safety paper won't eject.

Once printed, the prints tend to curl a bit along the longest edge but of course if you're sticking them onto something that won't be a problem. Colour rendition is a little on the yellow side. As far as sharpness is concerned, I'd say the prints are in the good to very good range: don't expect DSLR sharpness but you won't be disappointed either. For this reason I'm giving it 4 stars.

Netac AES256 bit Encryption Premium Flash Memory High Speed Auto-Destroy USB disk U256 4GB

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice concept but poor build quality, 3 Dec. 2010
Its just as well that this memory stick has an encrypted area (under Windows) because the chances are you'll lose it dues to the poor build quality. I'd only suggest buying this if you'll be keeping in a desk - its certainly not built for the real world.

After losing a previous memory stick attached to my keyring I decided to buy one that looked strong, and the Netac AES256 appeared to fit the bill, being made of metal. However, when it arrived I was surprised how physically small it was, and the lanyard loop was small and seemed flimsy, which it was. Suffice to say that after a day in my pocket the ring had sheared off and there's now no way to attach it to anything. The metal cap is also prone to falling off. I can't stand the pain of trying to get a refund so it'll be living in my desk from now on.

I give it one star for the reasonable transfer speed, and another for the physical RW/RO switch (although it remains to be seen how resistant to everyday dirt 'n debris this will be).

My advice is to avoid this and buy a SanDisk Cruzer - at least they're built to last!

Targus Remote Wireless Presenter / Clicker with cursor control - AMP09EU
Targus Remote Wireless Presenter / Clicker with cursor control - AMP09EU
Offered by Kikatek

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, works well, great price, 26 Oct. 2010
It worked straight out of the box (once I'd got the packaging open), not only with Windows XP which went through the usual device/driver installation procedure, but with Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 6400. In fact, it seems to work more smoothly on Ubuntu, so I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it. Seems to be nicely made too.

Powerball Neon Pro
Powerball Neon Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerball and photography, 7 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Sports)
This is one of those items that popped up on Amazon a while back and immediately caught my eye, although I initially thought it was a fad so didn't bother ordering one. Now however, I've taken the plunge and ordered one - it arrived today and I'm using it already. I have to say that its one of those devices that can take minutes to figure out but then offers a lifetime of challenge: within 10 minutes of getting started I'm managing 8,500 RPM but right now I can't sustain that for long.

My main reason for getting it though is to try and strengthen my left arm: as a regular photographer I find myself holding a heavy DSLR rig for up to 12 hours, and it would be nice to have a stronger left hand grip/arm to give my right hand a break from time to time. It would also mean that I could drink beer easier while not missing that vital shot..

Although I'm a Powerball noob, I can see the potential in it already and will be using on a regular basis. Construction is top quality and the LEDs look verrrry cool!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3