Profile for Mae McAlister > Reviews

Content by Mae McAlister

Mae McAlister (Grangemouth, Falkirk ,Scotland)

Sennheiser CX 500 - High Quality Noise Isolating Ear-Canal Headphones With Volume Control - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Quality, 2 May 2011
I bought a pair of these headphones to replace the standard white cable ipod earphones. While I know that the ipod earphones are not great I was looking for something of similar quality as I don't use ear phones very often. These seemed to fit the bill - not too expensive but a respected brand and mostly positive reviews. The negative reviews seemed to be complaining about build quality so I assumed that as long as I looked after these, they'd be ok for my type of usage.

Straight out of the box I plugged them into my ipod and the sound quality was terrible. Very tinny high end (hi-hats) and virtualy no bass. They made me not want to hear some of my favourite songs. I can't believe there are reviews saying the sound quality is good on these. They are noticeably worse than ipod earphones. I don't care how comfortable they are in yor ears (they are pretty comfortable) if they make the music sound horrible you'll be ripping them out before the end of the first verse.

I am returning them for a refund.

Labyrinth (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Labyrinth (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ David Bowie
Price: 4.90

5.0 out of 5 stars "A Low Point in Bowie's Career" - A Foul Untruth, 4 April 2004
'Labyrinth', Henson's 1986 masterpiece is a modern classic for our generation, one of the best pieces of fantasy to grace our screens since 'The Wizard of Oz'.
Revolving around the main character of Sarah (Connelly), an over-imaginative teenager who struggles to find meaning in life beyond her dolls and dressing-up box, the film is essentially a existentialist study of teenage fantasy.
The boundaries between fantasy and reality become dangerously blurred one night, when a desperate Sarah calls on the imaginary king of the goblins to take away her relentlessly screaming baby half-brother, Toby.
Unfortunately for Sarah, Jareth the Goblin King (Bowie) has ceased to be merely a figure of her imagination, and appears in the bedroom in place of the child, whom he has transported to his castle in the centre of a giant labyrinth, where goblins and monsters (sometimes friendly, sometimes not, often very comical!)haunt every corner.
It is then up to Sarah to fight her way through the twisting and ever-changing labyrinth to find her young charge, whilst making friends and resisting temptation along the way. Will she manage to overcome her childish, spoilt instincts and learn to think for herself to help others? Or will she succumb to the temptation of having her fantasies fufilled by the charismic Jareth? Only one way to find out - BUY THIS MOVIE!!
Once described as, "a low point in David Bowie's career" this is a great film for adults and children alike, and contrary to narrow-minded belief, is a classic addition to any Bowie fan's collection. Worth watching for the fashion statements alone - "well, laugh!"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2010 5:58 PM BST