Profile for Maria Ch. > Reviews

Plants & Planting Plans For Bee G
Plants & Planting Plans For Bee G
by Maureen Little

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very helpful, a wrong book for me, 31 July 2013
I was looking forward to this book, as I am a beekeeper and I have a small garden where I'd like to grow as many melliferous plants as I can. But it seems that Iˇve picked a wrong book: the plans are nice enough, but not for everyones tastes. I expected a "culinary book" that would concentrate more on explaining general rules and offering a wider choice of flowers, but this part of book is rather small, a much larger part is dedicated to actual plans, similar to those diets that prescribe you what exactly you should eat for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner... if you are not prepared to follow them to the letter, there is very little you can really use.

Seedbombs: Going Wild with Flowers
Seedbombs: Going Wild with Flowers
by Josie Jeffery

5.0 out of 5 stars A most beautiful book, 6 Jan 2013
This was a very pleasant surprise. Nice to look at and to touch, an excellent example of what a quality paper and a good layout can do with a good text.

Of course, there must be that "good text" first: in this case, the idea behind the book is really exciting. Especially if you are a beekeeper and/or you dislike the ugly urban areas that you pass every day. Join guerilla gardening and plant flowers everywhere to improve the world or to give your bees more choices.

You learn to make compost dumplings (a fotorecipe) easy to drop where you want them, but there are also other methods of making seedbombs there. And also the rules to observe: do not plant invasive plants, for example.

The layout is that of a cookbook or textbook, and there are some very nice plant portraits, not many, but they are really nice. Also a few seed mixtures that apparently work well together. This book is an ideal gift for someone interested in flowers/ecology/beekeeping/guerilla gardening. I am glad I decided to purchase it.

by Ted Hooper

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bee Friendly Garden: Bring Bees to Your Flowers, Orchard, and Vegetable Patch, 6 Jan 2013
It is not a bad book, but I was a bit disappointed. There are some plants that my bees mostly ignore (magnolias, cotoneaster) and many plant varieties most attractive to bees are not mentioned. I admit that what is an excellent bee plant in one area, can be rather mediocre in different conditions, but even so, I would like to see the plants rated. Surely there are some criteria that would help to classify them as excellent, good or mediocre?

But the real problem is the layout. I liked the A-Z order and Latin names, as I am not native speaker of English and I know Latin names far better than English common names but then I expected something like encyclopedia or dictionary, clear and concise.

And the uneven length of entries, different sizes of images, little contrast between titles and text, and more than once a plant name on the bottom of the page make the book look too confusing - with a little more care on the part of editor it could be much better.