Profile for Mr. Gareth J. Hughes > Reviews

Content by Mr. Gareth J. ...

Mr. Gareth J. Hughes "garethhughes81" (Sheffield, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dark Souls II Collector's Edition Guide
Dark Souls II Collector's Edition Guide
by Future Press

5.0 out of 5 stars An example to other guides, 22 Mar 2014
I'm a huge fan of the Souls series and follow a number of Youtubers and Twitch streamers who play the games. I was hesitant about buying the guide as I'm not normally a fan of them and I wanted to experience the game blind, but when I heard 2 of my favourite Youtubers contributed to this, I pre-ordered it to help support them and the community as a whole.

I'm glad I did. First off, it's huge (462 odd pages) and with a rather nice hard cover that matches the Black Iron edition artwork, it's beautifully put together. I've not read it in huge detail as I'm only at Iron Keep at the time of writing and want to avoid spoilers but what I have read has been fantastically written and informative. It's clearly been a labour of love for the people involved who are huge fans of the series rather than a shoddily put together cash in. Apart from weapon stats for all upgrade paths (which would add a huge amount to the page count), all the info I could conceivably need on areas, NPC's and foes is in here.

While the information may become less accurate over time through upgrades (we're already at 2 patches and the game has been out a little over a week), this guide will still be a deep and interesting read for fans of the game. Highly recommended.

Samrick Specially Designed Leather Flip Case for Sony Xperia M and Xperia M Dual - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 12 Nov 2013
I'd ordered this after getting the Supergets case that shows up on the first page when you search for Xperia M cases and finding it to be not particularly well made and with a massive design flaw in terms of tab placement. Well it turns out the case pictured on the Supergets page is actually this case!

This one is far superior in terms of build quality, every niggle I had with the Supergets but let slide due to the cheap price is much better here. The material and stitching, the plastic clip itself, the sturdiness of the front cover and the closing tab are all a huge step up. There's also no gap between the volume rocker and power button which made pushing the small buttons a little fiddly. The only place it's inferior is the lack of any kind of padding on the internal plastic where the phone meets the case but as it's held pretty snug, it shouldn't be an issue.

As both cases are the same price taking postage into account (well, 5p difference), there's no contest. Buy this one. It'd be a great case for £10 to £15, if not more, but for £4 it's a no brainer. The plain black design might put some people off, but a lot of phones I've seen with prettily designed back cases showing off their owners individuality tend to also show off cracked screens as they offer little protection for the front. Buy this and put some stickers on it if that kind of thing is important to you.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red

5.0 out of 5 stars One year on, 31 Oct 2013
I'm not a huge audiophile and I haven't spent more than £40 on a pair of in-ears but I'll have had these for a year next month and they are, hands down, the best 'phones I've owned. The sound surpasses anything I've tried and for the price, they are pretty much unbeatable. I even prefer them to the over ears I use at my PC which also carried the 'great for their price' tag and cost a little more (Panasonic RP HTX-7). A few people have complained about the build quality. They must have been unlucky and got a below par set as mine have stood up to many a walk to and from work (about 4 hours/16 miles a week) in all weathers and are still going strong. Unfortunately, I've recently lost the bag so fingers crossed I can find a replacement to keep them protected while in my drawer at work.

If you're sick of poor sounding, budget headphones breaking and are wondering whether these are worth the extra outlay and whether they beat the similarly priced Sennheiser CX300's (my previous set before these), I can recommend them in all respects. Unless there's another below the radar pair that get across the board great reviews that show up when these finally need replacing, I'm getting another pair for sure.

Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet (Cornet Or Eb Alto, Bb Tenor, Baritone, Euphoniumand Bb Bass in Treble Clef)
by Arban, Jean B. And Claude Gordon And Edwin F. Goldman And Walter M. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The trumpet players bible. Kind of..., 31 Oct 2013
Telephone book thick with almost every page filled solid with staffs, Arbans is more likely to scare off most newcomers to brass from a casual flick through. Get past that, there are exercises for almost every trumpet technique you need to start and improve as a player. I'd advise against sitting down with the intent of working through every single page, in order, although that would certainly show you improvement. Personally, I identify areas of my playing I'm unhappy with, find a page of exercises that cover that area and work on. You can also tailor a warmup routine based on it's exercises or pick a random page and see how you fare. Once you've got the basics down, you can move onto the more advanced techniques later on in the book.

As it was written 150 years ago, some of the explanations are a little out of date and updates from more modern sources assist when reading through the text that precedes each chapter. In addition, it could do with an update in general, being a little dry and inflexible in it's approach and the explanations behind the content is a little lacking. You certainly won't come away with the confidence to do an improvised solo for example, although your chops might be up to the task.

So while it's an essential book for a brass player, it's certainly not the only book you should own.

LG GH24NS90.AUAA50B 24x SATA Bare Internal DVD Rewriter - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bargain, 31 Oct 2013
A little noisy when running at full spin but a solid drive (LG stuff has always lasted me well). No frills, plug and play disc burning and CD/DVD reading. Optical storage media is a little outdated now so there's no need to spend more than the bare minimum for burning and this is a bargain. Assuming you've got the case space, I'd pick up a quieter blu-ray capable drive for watching films etc and this one for the occasional backup operation.

Installation was nice and simple but if you're using an older PSU, make sure you've got spare SATA power connectors. Mine only had 2 just a few inches apart and with one powering my HDD at the bottom of my case and this drive at the top, I had to order a molex adaptor. But that serves me right for not updating my system enough.

Emergency & I
Emergency & I

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, angular indie, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Emergency & I (MP3 Download)
A friend's recent Facebook post reminded me while I've owned following album 'Change' for a number of years, its better thought of predecessor, 'Emergency & I' has been missing from my CD collection. As physical copies seem to be hard to get hold of, I took the plunge and bought the MP3 album from here and after a couple of days, it's turned into of my favourite albums and I can see why it's regarded as a classic.

While it can be thought of as indie, synths and odd time signatures replace jangly guitars and give the more heft and depth than the genre title implies. There's a lot to digest here which explains why 'Change' clicked immediately and this one took a few days but it's well worth the effort. 'Memory Machine' is a highlight and a good indicator of the albums sound, containing all the key elements; offbeat timing, dischordant synthesizers and catchy choruses and is a good jumping in point to see whether or not this album is for you. Personal tastes differ but I can't recommend this record enough. My only regret is taking 9 years between hearing about the band and picking this album up. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Supergets® Sony Xperia M Premium Flip Case Covers and High Capacitive Touch Screen Stylus
Offered by WEB-ESSENTIALS

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as per the picture!, 30 Oct 2013
The item received is a more square looking case and, most annoyingly, the tab which secures the front to the back is centrally placed and covers the headphone socket. As I use the walkman feature a lot, this is a huge problem and this is clearly not the case from the picture!

Otherwise, it's a fairly solid but cheap feeling case. It'll protect your phone from wear and tear and problably a few falls as well but I wouldn't expect it to withstand much abuse. The front cover that covers the screen has a fair bit of flex and I wouldn't trust it to stop a really hard, sharp blow ie from a table corner or similar but it should be fine for everyday use.

The clip that secures the phone feels secure but is a tacky looking plastic with a visible flash (lines from the moulding process for those of you who didn't spend their youths cleaning it off plastic model kits). The padding behind it is applied wonkily, there's some scuffs to one corner right out of the packet and along with the other problems it has, the original price is a joke.

Thankfully, at the time of writing the case is £4 instead of £18, postage is free and it turned up very quickly meaning it's a decent, low cost way of protecting your phone. It also comes with a screen protector and stylus which proved quite useful for typing in portrait mode. However, the stylus can only be attached via the headphone socket.... So if you don't use headphones on your phone the case is fine. If you do, it's not really fit for purpose. I don't regret buying it as I needed cheap protection for my new phone quickly but I'm already looking at replacements.

Edit:- the case in the picture seems to be the Samrick case which is the same price and much better quality. Buy that one instead! The build quality is miles ahead of this one and the clasp is in the correct place. I've knocked a star off as the picture is misleading and there's a much better case for the same cost.

Tomandwill 22TP Trumpet Gig Bag - Black with Olive Trim with Grey and Black Piping

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but one massive flaw..., 26 Aug 2013
I bought this for carting my trumpet around on public transport as I was getting a little tired of using the durable but huge ABS plastic case and a separate bag for all the books and accessories I needed. The bag itself is very well built and sturdy looking and everything about it is great quality. The main compartment has enough room for your horn, the supplied mouthpiece bag and a mute, although the fit is a little tight with the mute and you'll need to wrap it in something unless you want to risk metal on metal while you're using the case.

However, it has a few flaws, 2 minor and one major. The minor flaws are: the separate internal bag which is large but only really has room for holding 2 mouthpieces securely (again, unless you want them rattling around in there) as well as your oil/cork grease etc and the outer pocket which is far too narrow to fit anything really useful in there.

The major flaw is the book satchel. I own a handful of books and the bag is too small to fit all but 2 in comfortably. These aren't large books either, one is a book of scales which is only slightly bigger than the others that do fit, and won't go in without bending the corners pretty badly. Arban's will barely fit but not without becoming dog eared very quickly due to corner bending. If you're going to make a book for trumpet music, surely you'd start by making sure it fits Arban's in comfortably before you did anything else? If they'd made it a fraction larger it would have been fine but they didn't and it's not. The mind boggles.

So I'm back to either taking a single book to my lesson or going back to putting them into a messenger bag and have it bouncing off my hip as I walked, one of the things I was trying to get away from by buying the case to begin with. Not a deal breaker but it's hugely frustrating that a touted feature is barely useful through poor design choices.

Dredd [DVD]
Dredd [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karl Urban

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic action film fun, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
Unfairly compared to a poor remake of The Raid on release by many who knew nothing more than the basic synopsis (and I include myself in that crowd), Dredd shares very little with Indonesian martial arts flick beyond the basic premise. I'll keep it short and say it's a great action film that strips everything down to the basics and in doing so, avoids a lot of the things that make a lot of modern action films terrible. There's no clumsy exposition or trite character development and there are plenty of explosions and impressive special effects. I'd go as far as to say it's actually better than The Raid as it never drags for a minute, although it's more reliant of effects than impressive physical feats. And that's why you should by both.

I Love You It's Cool
I Love You It's Cool

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamlike electro excellence, 21 April 2013
This review is from: I Love You It's Cool (Audio CD)
Brooklyn based, championed by Pitchfork and playing a kind of painfully cool electro-pop, it would be easy to dismiss this band as hipster nonsense without listening to them. That would be a grave error. I stumbled across them via Spotify when I was making a playlist of songs where the title, band name or lyrics contained the word "bear" (long story) and found I actually really liked the random track I'd added, leading to the purchase of this album. Since then I've listened to it more than any other record I picked up last year by a long shot.

While they don't do anything too experimental, the songs are all solid and catchy. They take the basic concept of a live band and then layer the tunes up beautifully with a huge array of synths whch add to the ethereal sound without sounding too pretentious or intrusive. Anyway, it's late, I'm tired and this genre isn't usually my thing so I'll just advise you to give 'Idle Heart' a listen through headphones and get lost in the swirl. You'll know if it's for you after that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4