Profile for nosebagbadger > Reviews

Content by nosebagbadger

nosebagbadger

Hand of Mars (Starship's Mage Book 2)
Hand of Mars (Starship's Mage Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Starship Mage Grows Up, 12 Oct. 2015
Even better than Starship Mage, both (still reasonably) young Damien but also the nature of the book have matured significantly. That the good guys don't get it all their own way makes for a more interesting story by far.

Oracle of Philadelphia (Earthbound Angels Book 1)
Oracle of Philadelphia (Earthbound Angels Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful clash of characters!, 15 Dec. 2014
An action packed fantasy book, with a great mix of humour added in by our favourite (well, hopefully) demon, Bedlam. When most of the demons and angels are as bad as each other, it's left to a human to save the one good man, or die trying (or the next worst thing)

Warspite (Ark Royal Book 4)
Warspite (Ark Royal Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars but still an excellent read. Nuttall notes mine and other's surprise at ..., 14 Dec. 2014
The only ark royal book I've not given a 5 star to, but still an excellent read.

Nuttall notes mine and other's surprise at the series continuing, which I was ecstatic to see - however this book seems to operate much more of a plot setting book - as might be expected with a tenuous peace in play. I do however see potential, both for our new captain and alternate main characters, so shall stay gripped for the next one.

Possibly my favourite thing about Nuttall is he's probably my only consistent 5 star author who blazes through the writing of his books - I'm at a loss about how he does, but I'm not going to complain.

Battle for Cilicia (Star Legions Book 1)
Battle for Cilicia (Star Legions Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Classicists, 20 Aug. 2014
I'd personally give this 3.5, but that's neither here nor there.

The book is very good, and is improved by having a very slight knowledge of the classics and ancient history - however any more and you start predicting what will happen, which is a tad irksome - perhaps in the future there will be greater variance, and that runs the risk of being jarring.

However for the most part it's a very interesting take on it, and unless you fall into what I would assume isn't a huge category, then it will be greatly enjoyable

For Honor We Stand (Man of War Book 2)
For Honor We Stand (Man of War Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why only one more book!, 13 Aug. 2014
A brilliant book (as its predecessor was) - for a book where the captain so rarely makes books you don't get caught up thinking "oh they never can lose", I'm not sure but this might be because the strategic outnumbering is stressed so well.

The humour is present throughout and nicely breaks up what would be a constant onslaught of chasing and destroyed ships otherwise.

Very good ending, but if anything I'm saddened that there's only one more book (even if we get some prequels etc) - I would personally love to see a few more books in the main series before it is concluded.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 8:04 AM BST

The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel
The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dark Turn for the Laundry, 3 July 2014
Before any review I would point out I would actually rate this as 4.5, but have rounded up since 5 seems more reasonable than 4

The book does start to take a movement for the darker, as was seen starting to begin in book 4. We're not really into case Nightmare Green (although we get certain links that effects are being felt) - but I would guess this would be the last book where this is the case.

A few things that if you thought through minor suggested points and non-concluded points in prior books might get certain acts at the end predicted, but I would say don't think about it, just read it and find out!

While all of the Laundry Files books wrap up relatively well, Rhesus Chart takes it to new extremes - a few ideas are suggested at close of play but almost everything that happens in-book is concluded, leaving us with but a few dark fears to lead us onto the final three books.

An excellent read, I just hope we don't have to wait as long for book 6!

AMERICA ONE - One Man's Dream (Book 1)
AMERICA ONE - One Man's Dream (Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read!, 23 Feb. 2014
A wonderful book, with an endless onslaught of problems being solved (in one fashion or another), against the backdrop of significant political challenges - the latter seem to be a bit overblown, out of line with even a very pessimistic near future outlook - nevertheless, makes for interesting reading.

There are some unlikely situations and methods used to avoid problems (alternatively plot points in their own right - they are that good and detailed), but no completely impossible ones as far as I could observe.

One word of caution - book 2 is also an excellent read, however after that the books decline significantly (in the exact way that I feared might occur from about half way through this book (I suspect you will pick up the risk as well))

If you don't mind being disappointed later on, then you would struggle to do worse than buy the first two books.

XD:317 (Fourth Fleet Irregulars)
XD:317 (Fourth Fleet Irregulars)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Living Up, 23 Feb. 2014
...to the quality of the others.

The fact that this review maintains four stars despite being significantly worse than the previous two books does make a mark of the quality of the author.

In my view this book could both use a little more action and a little less presumption - the crew (who, while having some enjoyable quirkiness, don't quite have the lovable nature/humour of before) seem to have the solutions to their problems just appear before them, in measures approaching dei ex machinae.

Despite this, it remains a worthwhile read, and I look forward to the next book, where hopefully Macdonald will return to the previously seen quality.

Endangered Creatures
Endangered Creatures

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Humour Throughout, 23 Nov. 2013
An excellent piece of humorous writing about, (minimising spoilers) hidden "mythical" animals and angels that refuse to fit the stereotype.

The book fits together very well, with the jokes and comic timing working excellently, rather than going so over the top that they ruin it - the book just aches for a sequel (so many opportunities available!) and I shall wait in anticipation