ARRAY(0xa50b7c24)

Profile for Malcolm H. Smith > Reviews

Content by Malcolm H. Smith

Malcolm H. Smith "Mal" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Salomon Quest 4D GORE-TEX Waterproof Trail Walking Boots - 9.5
Salomon Quest 4D GORE-TEX Waterproof Trail Walking Boots - 9.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, 26 April 2012
I ordered these boots yesterday to replace my 3 year old and very comfy (I might add) North face boots that have taken it upon themselves to split along the side of the rubber sole and letting in water. I'm a uk size 9 and those boots were a 9 but I read the review on these ones and took heed of the other reviewers who said to go bigger. I chose a 9.5 and they fit perfectly with ski socks on which is great so yes DO THIS! if your on the side of a large 9 then go for a 10 if all your other boots or shoes have a bit of give in them then go for half a size bigger, I promise you wont regret it!.

They are a bit higher on the ankle than my old boots but thats no bad thing and they give plenty support. I do feel a bit like Herman Munster walking about in them at the moment but they are straight out of the box so I guess they'll loosen up a wee bit.

I bought these for wearing on long walks in the country where I take photos and to wear into work on wet days and seeing as its been raining constantly for the past 2 weeks I was hoping to test out the waterproof claim on the way home tonight, but I kid you not, as soon as I put them on the sun came out!.

I've been walking around work all day in them with ski socks on and my feet are not over heating in the slightest. Its like wearing big stiff carpet slippers!. I'll update in the next few days to see how they perform

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Waterproof Gloves Latest Edition (2012/2013) - All Colours (Black, Large)
Offered by OutDoorPersuits

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty poor, 21 Oct 2011
I cant really comment on how warm these are yet as the weathers suddenly gone quite mild but I can tell you already that they are about as waterproof as the sponge I use in the bath!. I tested them out this afternoon hosing down the mud off my bike and the water spray was soaked up as soon as it hit the material. It reminded me of the well advertised kitchen roll you see on tv. Now its pretty warm out but my right hand which was holding the hose went a lot colder than my left as you would expect having your hand encased in a wet tight fitting layer of material. IT DEFINITELY DOES NOT DO EXACTLY AS IT SAYS ON THE TIN!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2012 3:20 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 11 Aug 2011
Fantastic bit of simple design. It lets you cook over both direct and indirect heat simply by sliding the apart or together and is more economical with your coals

De Buyer 4290.00 Diamond Fingers Knife Sharpener Füri Ozitech
De Buyer 4290.00 Diamond Fingers Knife Sharpener Füri Ozitech

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job, 11 Aug 2011
This the the second one I've bought as the first one wore out after five years good service. I bought it to sharpen my £70 Henkel kitchen knife as using a steel on all my other knives ended in me wrecking the blades.

This is easy to use and gives a great edge on any blade after just a few strokes. This new one however gives a horrible screeech as you draw the blade through which not only sets my teeth on edge but hurts my fillings and scares the hell out of the cat all at the same time!.

Still it works a treat and has looked after my top end kitchen blades perfectly. I even use it to sharpen my swiss army knife which comes out scalpel sharp.

Magnifier with Light on a stand with clip
Magnifier with Light on a stand with clip
Offered by MensGiftShop

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 11 Jan 2011
I bought this for my dad last Christmas for his workshop in the back garden. He scratch builds model boats directly from the ship yards plans and some of the details are amazingly small!. I have been informed that this is the best bit of kit he has for making 3 quarter inch pulley wheels and deck planking ect.

Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser
Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood BM450 bread maker, 11 Jan 2011
We bought a cheaper bread maker for my mother in law this Christmas and I have to say the results were fantastic. Far better than my hand made attempts so I was greatly pleased to see this far superior Kenwood make for almost half price on here yesterday. I bought it and as I was in no great rush for it I didn't pay the extra for express delivery. However it turned up this afternoon anyway!.

Very pleased its a sexy looking machine and will look great in my kitchen and hopefully fill the house with tasty bread smells!.

Will update on how it actually works tomorrow. Oh by the way don't have it delivered to your work as its pretty heavy and now I'm going to have to transport it on the tube tonight during rush hour *:o(

Ok up date. Finally got it home and it almost killed me!. First attempt at basic white to start off with was nice although the crust was pretty burnt even though it was on the medium setting. Tried again on the light crust setting and the result was a lump of over proven uncooked dough!. I didn't try the dark crust as I didn't want to burn my house down. Its obviously faulty so I'm sending it back for a replacement as all past reviews have been good and its a sexy looking bit of kit to have in your kitchen. Update soon.

Update: Got the replacement one through the nest day after reporting the last one faulty and this one works a treat.
I cant fault it in the slightest.
I don't know what the customer who said the lcd panel was hard to read was talking about, they must have eye problems!. Light crust setting cooks the bread but gives very little colour, med crust gives a light brown crust but still quite soft and dark crust setting gives what it says, a thick dark crust!. You can program an extra 5-10 mins cooking time in yourself in the personalized settings to get exactly what you want.
Delicious bread every time and so easy to use my father can use it, and he by passed the whole video era without being able to work one so that's saying something!.

Doghouse Music
Doghouse Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one Steve, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
I've seen seasick Steve a few time now on tv and on stage and he comes across as a really nice down to earth guy that has a real talent for music I love the tunes on this album but I get a bit bored hearing the little stories about his life on the street after playing this cd a few times over though. Its just like listening to my father tell me the same thing over and over again! I just wish I could use the skip button on him as I do on this cd to get to the entertaining stuff!

Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Black
Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bit of back up kit, 29 Mar 2010
I use this for storing all my RAW files in my photography work and its a great bit of kit just plug and play, brilliant, I wish all technology worked this simply and as well!

True Blood
True Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty tasty, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: True Blood (Audio CD)
A nice compilation including a brilliant cover of a dinosaur jnr song that I now prefer to the original!
If your new to the whole blues/blue grass music then you'll love this album

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit lens
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon Fit lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good considering, 29 Mar 2010
I recently bought this lens for my Canon 5D as a walk around lens and for using on my upcoming trip to Africa. I would have liked to have gone for the L series canon made lens but I couldn't really afford it so I opted for this one instead. On a test shoot I was very surprised with the image quality especially on close up shots and the sharpness is pretty good as long as your shooting about f8 or higher which with the iso quality in the 5D isn't a problem for me.
The auto focus is a bit slow especially focusing from one extreme to the other and I have to say the lens hood provided is pretty useless and in bright light gives no protection from lens flare so be prepared to make one yourself out of bog roll if bright lights are your chosen subject.
I love the matt black finish and also the weight which in my opinion gives more stability when shooting but thats just my personal preference.
All in all pretty damn good considering you would be paying over £600 for an L series of the same focal length.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3