Profile for GuitarTony > Reviews

Content by GuitarTony

GuitarTony

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The RAF Masirah Railway (Narrow Gauge Classics)
The RAF Masirah Railway (Narrow Gauge Classics)
by W. J. L. Corser

5.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of History Gone!!, 25 July 2014
I was one of the Medics from the RAF Medical Centre who were the ORIGINAL people who started refurbishment from the derelict state it was in 1967 - 1968. Unfortunatly we didn't get much credit in the book, but isn't that the case in these matters. Those who come after claim the credit. It was started as a pass time which developed into a cause to serve the Boat Club and above all to develop an interest in something other than Sand, Sea and Sun.
The book is good, an interesting read for anyone who has even a mild interest in Light Gauge Railway. I feel proud to have been involved and say Hi to any of my old mates who were there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2014 3:44 PM BST

Live at the Royal Albert Hall (1971)
Live at the Royal Albert Hall (1971)
Price: 9.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music with Real Meaning, 24 July 2014
I have been an ardent Magna Friend and follower pretty much since the very early days. I have met Chris Simpson on occasions but alas didn't get time to really talk about his works. This recording has been awaited for many years as it was "Lost" in the vaults. Chris has worked long and hard, unearthed it and at last got it released through repertoire records. This has to be Magnas Jewel in the crown, superb live recording featuring Chris, Glen Stuart and the amazing Davey Johnstone who went on to work with Elton John.

Chris wrote the material here, is brilliantly sensitive vocalist and indeed accomplished Guitarist. Glen has a fantastic 5 octave range and tops out the overall sound. Davey is a fantastically talented multi-instrumentalist who just overflows with mindblowing performances, he also wrote some material featured here.

Anyone who is not familiar with Magna Carta and Chris Simpson frankly has missed out on one of lifes greatest music pleasures. The music is reassuring, thought provoking and above all soparific to the soul. I hope this doesn't sound dull or bland. I find when life is sometimes hum drum and demanding this music has always calmed soothed and healed the woes of the mind.

Anyone who has a collection of Magna you just have to have this recording its pretty much the Classic line up at the peak of it's performing. Another tip for anyone reading this Chris has a forthcoming album of new material "Fields of Eden" due out in the near future. It is expected to be in the same top league as "Lord of the Ages", "Seasons" and "Wasties".

What are you waiting for, get one, get another for a friend and then give all your family a copy. It's a life gift!!

Tony Cox
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 6:59 AM BST

Sky Wards: A History of the Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Service
Sky Wards: A History of the Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Service
by Mary Mackie

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 May 2014
This is a most brilliant history of dedication and best of all most readable. I served in the Service and can confirm that this book truly catches the ethos and drive shared by all the colleagues I worked with during my 24 years of nursing in the RAF. Having worked in Private Health and the NHS since I can only say that the standard of care in the RAF Hospitals was second to none.
If you are at all interested in this type of history get it.

Vox Double Deca Delay Tone Garage Power Supply Replacement Adapter 9V
Vox Double Deca Delay Tone Garage Power Supply Replacement Adapter 9V
Offered by Effects Pedal Power Supplies
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compatible Plug, 9 Feb 2014
This is a compatible power adapter sourced from China. Well made and robust construction.
The only thing was in my view the P&P was a bit high, maybe this is down to the Post Office.
Recommended.

Shakin' the Cage
Shakin' the Cage
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 13.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Guitartony, not as good as expected!, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Shakin' the Cage (Audio CD)
Bought this after reading the other recommendations. Oh dear, not as good as reported. Don't get me wrong the music is OK and the artists are all pretty well known but this is not as inspiring as Mikes "Im not me " Album.
If you like Clapton, did you like him singing with Delaney and Bonny, if you did there is a good chance you will like this. It's all in the ears at the end of the day.

Then Play On (Extended Edition)
Then Play On (Extended Edition)
Price: 6.86

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what the others are listening to??, 16 Oct 2013
I felt I had to write a review of this reissue as after listening to my copy and indeed the original vinyl and the first issue CD I don't know what the other reviewers are carping on about? I think they must be "Aurally challenged" or just plain picky. This remaster is a wonderful, long overdue addition to the FM discography. I found the sound through my modestly expensive system to be wonderful. This work was well ahead of it's time, masterful. Just imagine what Peter could have achieved if not for drugs and disrupted health.

So the message from me is don't listen to the carpers, if you like this era of FM get this reissue. Carpers go put your anoraks on!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2013 10:39 AM BST

A Dark Horse
A Dark Horse
Offered by Music-Club
Price: 22.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Brit Blues, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Dark Horse (Audio CD)
How wonderful to come across this recording of some old Brit Bluesers, including the great Peter Green. I was so pleased to hear Peter playing so well at a point in his life that I guess was still somewhat dark. If your into this form of blues get it. The vocals are a bit "odd" on some tracks but the guitar playing easily surpasses that.

Clatronic EWB 3281 Ice Cube Maker
Clatronic EWB 3281 Ice Cube Maker
Price: 167.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Ice,ice baby., 15 Oct 2013
After a bad experience with a more costly machine from another maker (which I have now Scrapped), this was a pleasant surprise.This is a well made, good looking machine. It is quiet, fast and very efficient. At the current price I can only recommend that if you want an ice maker, give this one a try.

Update 2 months later.:- Oh dear, oh dear. I think I'm jinxed. Machine started to leak and steadily got worse. So returned for replacement, but got refund? What can I say, you never know. Decided to give up and use an Ice Tray in the freezer again!!! A lot less hastle.

Well here we are a month further on and still no explanation as to what the fault was or why I was given a refund?? I have therefor dropped the rating to 1 star as customer service/product let it down. I actualy feel it should be no stars!!

Spider Tweed Les Paul Hard Guitar Flight Case
Spider Tweed Les Paul Hard Guitar Flight Case
Offered by Flightcase Warehouse
Price: 49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerfull, 23 Sep 2013
Looks good, not sure how will stand up to use but ok for price. Had issue with a catch missing on first item. Exchanged after providing a photo as proof of damage. Dealer acted quite fast, no extra cost.
I would consider using again.

Hofner Club CT Solid electric guitar
Hofner Club CT Solid electric guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Axe, 17 Sep 2013
You cannot fault this wonderful guitar from the Great Hofner Company. They obviously exercise stringent control on manufacture as this far exceeded my stringent expectations of instruments of this type. It not only looks good but is a brilliant sounding example of this solid body style. Forget Epiphone, Burny Fernandes or Tokai, get this Guitar.
To get an idea of this Guitars capabilities try to see "Booker T at the Cambridge Folk Festival", his lead Guitar is fantastic and is on an old version of this Guitar.
Don't mess about, get one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4