Profile for Peter Lee > Reviews

Content by Peter Lee
Top Reviewer Ranking: 540

Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Heavy duty UKULELE CAPO trigger - soprano, concert, tenor, baritone uke ukelele
Heavy duty UKULELE CAPO trigger - soprano, concert, tenor, baritone uke ukelele
Offered by MUSIKOOL

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little capo, 30 Mar. 2015
This is a nice little capo, reassuringly sturdy and weighty in its construction. The "trigger" opens the jaws and the capo clamps onto your frets and won't budge until you deliberately remove it. Yes it's quite big, but it only took me a few strums to get used to playing with it on, For the price, you can't go wrong.

H is for Hawk
H is for Hawk

2.0 out of 5 stars A curious mixture, 5 Mar. 2015
This review is from: H is for Hawk (Kindle Edition)
I'm not a birdwatcher, nor have I ever been tempted by falconry, but after reading the praise heaped upon this book I was keen to read it.

It's... well, it's rather strange really. The book is essentially three things in one. In some respects it's autobiographical, dealing with Helen Macdonald's reaction to the death of her father. Secondly, it's a book about buying and training a goshawk, and how this helped Helen with her bereavement. Finally, it's a look at the life and work of TH White, especially his book "The Goshawk", and how Helen draws parallels between his experiences and her own.

So does this mixture work? For me, I enjoyed the sections about Mabel the goshawk the most, especially in the earlier parts of the book, but I found the parts about White incredibly tedious. Maybe if I was a falconry enthusiast I'd have enjoyed it more, but ultimately the book proved to be a bit of a slog for me. It also ends rather abruptly, especially when you also read the acknowledgements (you'll see.)

One final thing that did surprise me was that there were no pictures in the book. I expected to find at least one picture of Mabel somewhere but there were none at all.

Dead Man Talking (Quick Reads)
Dead Man Talking (Quick Reads)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, 5 Mar. 2015
I'm a big Roddy Doyle fan and whilst this had many of his trademarks, such as his gift for dialogue, it was somehow lacking something. It's a strange story of a man invited to the funeral of an old friend with whom he had had a falling-out some years before. When he arrives he sees faces from his past, and when he enters the room containing the coffin things become rather strange.

As with all of Doyle's books the dialogue here was superb, so real and believable, but this time it was free of bad language. As for the story itself, it's short (obviously - it's part of a "Quick Reads" series of books) and although entertaining I quickly guessed where it was leading, but the ending itself was rather odd. Not a bad little read, certainly worth the asking price, and a nice introduction to Doyle for those not familiar with his work.

ARCTIC F9 - 92 mm Standard Low Noise Case Fan
ARCTIC F9 - 92 mm Standard Low Noise Case Fan
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, and quiet too, 5 Mar. 2015
My old case fan suddenly started to make a rattling noise which was extremely annoying, so I did my research and bought one of these. I was a little put off by comments that it was noisy despite the use of the term "low noise" in the product description, but for the price asked I decided to take the plunge.

On delivery it's a simple package - the fan, four screws, and nothing else. Simply unscrew the old one, disconnect the motherboard connector, then screw the new fan into place and connect it up. The whole process took maybe three minutes, and the hardest part was getting the side of my PC back on!

But what about the noise? Well it's absolutely fine for me, and my PC is quieter than it has been for a long time now. I've no complaints about the noise at all, in fact before I put the side back onto my PC I put my ear close to the new fan as it spun and it was extremely quiet - the two on my GPU, the one on my processor and the ones in my power supply made more noise than this one! A happy customer.

Reasons to Stay Alive
Reasons to Stay Alive
by Matt Haig

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Reasons to Stay Alive (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A book about depression? Surely that would be rather, well, depressing? Surprisingly, "Reasons To Stay Alive" is one of the most enjoyable, uplifting, and life-affirming books I've read in some time.

Matt Haig has written an outstanding book here, based on his own experiences of this terrible condition which is unfortunately misunderstood by so many. As one who has suffered from depression in the past I could relate to much of what he described, but this is a book everyone should read. It's not a scientific, scholarly book, but is written in a light and easy style, yet is full of wisdom. The chapters are short and it's a compelling read - I often found myself going to make a cup of tea and standing with the book in my hand as the kettle boiled.

I've read a few of Matt Haig's books in the past and found them to be enjoyable if not great, but this is just brilliant. A book to read and treasure, and hold on to in case you or anyone you know may need it at some point.

Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored
Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 26 Feb. 2015
I recently read an interview with John Lydon in which he said his least-favourite word in the English language was "nice". Well I'm going to upset him now. After reading "Anger Is An Energy" I was surprised that he came across as being a really nice bloke. I've never been a fan of his music, nor have I been a particular fan of the man, but while I was reading this I kept thinking I'd love to sit down with him and have a drink and a chat.

It's a totally surprising read. The early parts are harrowing, as he describes his childhood and upbringing, and at times it's unbearably hard to read, full of horrific images of poverty and illness. Then he forms the Sex Pistols and the world starts to listen, until their sudden collapse and Lydon's formation of Public Image Ltd. If I'm honest, despite not being a fan of the Sex Pistols' music I enjoyed this section of the book more than the considerably lengthier (for obvious reasons) coverage of PiL.

Towards the end the book did lose something for me, becoming a little repetitive (form new PiL line-up, record album, tour, fall out with PiL line-up, form new PiL line-up, record album, tour, fall-out with PiL line-up... etc.) but it was still enjoyable, especially when we learn more about the man behind the music. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

Crucial CT2KIT25664AA800 4 GB (2 GB x 2) DDR2 Memory Module
Crucial CT2KIT25664AA800 4 GB (2 GB x 2) DDR2 Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than buying from the manufacturer, 26 Feb. 2015
My PC was running a little slow so I decided to upgrade my RAM. The Crucial website has a handy system scanner to check exactly what RAM you need and what your PC can take, so after checking my system on there I compared Crucial's prices with Amazon, and as Amazon were cheaper I bought the same item from there.

Installation is simple. Open your PC case, release the clips at the end of each of your RAM strips, remove the old, push the new in (they will only go one way), then make sure the clips are back in place. Reboot your PC and voila - your memory has been increased, with no further action required.

Yes it's expensive, but if it improves the performance of your PC it's ultimately worth it.

Official Sennheiser Part (088115): Foam headband padding - Black -To Fit Sennheiser Models :PCX250-II /PX200 / PX100 /PXC250 /PX200 III /PX100 III PX200 II - Black /PX200 II / PX80- SOLD SINGLY
Offered by Hifiheadphones

5.0 out of 5 stars A new lease of life for my headphones, 26 Feb. 2015
My Sennheiser headphones are still working as well as the day I bought them but over the years the earpads and the two cushions on the plastic headband had started to flake a little. I replaced the earpads a little while ago but this time I refreshed the headband cushions.

As my headphones have two of these short cushions I had to order two of this item. On delivery they were sealed in Sennheiser plastic bags and fitting was simple - the pads have a sticky backing so the old ones pull away from the headband, then you remove the paper strips from the rear of the new pads and press them into place. Be careful as the glue is strong, so make sure you position the pads correctly as they can't be repositioned!

Yes they're a little expensive for what you get, but my headphones now look and sound as good as they day they were bought, so for me they're worth the money.

Satin Island
Satin Island
by Tom McCarthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my idea of fun, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Satin Island (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some years ago I read Tom McCarthy's "Remainder" and found it enjoyable, despite having a rather preposterous plot. Since then I haven't read any of his other work, but the synopsis of this one sounded interesting if baffling, so I looked forward to reading it.

It's a short book but for me it was a total mess. The narrator, known only as "U", works for a company but seems strangely reluctant to describe what they do, or the details of their latest contract win despite it being mentioned numerous times in the book. He is employed as a "corporate anthropologist", his purpose being to find sense from disparate nuggets of information, and he is allowed to pretty much do anything and go anywhere. His manager asks him to write a defining work on humanity, but as the book goes on this doesn't seem to happen.

From the start it's an odd book, and I didn't find it at all enjoyable, entertaining, interesting, amusing or exciting. It's fair to say that there is neither characterisation nor plot here, so by the end nothing had really happened, and on the final page it just stopped rather than coming to a conclusion. I'm normally a fan of slightly "out there" fiction, but for me "Satin Island" was just awful. Looking at other reviews here and online though it seems that some people do like it - I really don't see why though.

Oster Delighter Blender, 1.75 Litre, 450 W, White
Oster Delighter Blender, 1.75 Litre, 450 W, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never owned a blender before, but after receiving a few cookery books for Christmas and wanting to try my hand at making soups I got one of these.

It's a sleek-looking thing, the base very curvy and the jug made of heavy glass with a silver plastic base and a grey plastic lid. Instructions are minimal, and inside the booklet there are a couple of recipes for drinks. I'm not sure why the manufacturer seems to have a fixation with using the blender to crush ice cubes though - is this really a normal use for a blender? The box and the write-up claim that the jug was designed to fit in a fridge door, but it certainly won't fit in hours, and if like us you have a fitted kitchen with built-in fridge you will likely find the same is true for you.

In operation it works well, and there are a few different modes you can select from on the base. It whizzes things up well enough, and soups & smoothies work well, but again I've no requirement to crush ice cubes or harder, drier items so I've no complaints. As with food processors, sometimes there are "lumps" left behind, but it that's the case just let it run for a little longer and they usually go away.

All in all it's good enough for me. Not bad at all for my first blender.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20