Profile for Nicholas B. Hilligoss > Reviews

Content by Nicholas B. Hi...

Nicholas B. Hilligoss (Oakleigh, Victoria Australia)

Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki
Price: 9.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired mangling of a classic, 7 Oct 2008
This review is from: Tales From Earthsea [DVD] (DVD)
I haved loved both Ursula Le Guin's books and most of Studio Ghibli's films, and this film does justice to neither. I understand a film's need need to condense from the written word, and to find a visual way to tell a story, but there was no need to shift Jed's shadowy doppelganger onto another character altogether, completely distorting both of them. By using the title it has probably killed any chance of a good film - or three good films - being made from the material any time soon.
For those who don't know the books, but do appreciate the fresh and original storytelling of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, this feels more like a hackneyed Hollywood epic except for being a bit muddled. It has the fine design and animation we expect from Ghibli but falls short where it matters. I saw this at the cinema, and sadly it is the ONLY Ghibli film I will not add to my DVD collection.

City of Lost Children [DVD]
City of Lost Children [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ron Perlman
Offered by rightpricediscs
Price: 3.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Visual effects with a European sensibilty, 3 Nov 2003
This review is from: City of Lost Children [DVD] (DVD)
A visually splendid film with a very un-Hollywood perspective. One of my 10 favorite films, ever, 5+ stars. I could only get the DVD in Australia as a 4:3 transfer, so I ordered this version from the UK at double the local price for it's glorious widescreen - then was shocked to discover there was no French language option, rendering my purchase worthless to me. This DVD is recommended for those who speak only English and are illiterate. All others look for a better edition that offers both the correct framing and the original voices. This film deserves better.