Profile for Ben > Reviews

Ben "bouncing_ben"

Tweets from Tahrir
Tweets from Tahrir

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning read!, 9 May 2011
I bought this because I was interested in the idea of Twitter being used as history, but I had my doubts as to whether it would work as a book. Well it does! I really didn't think that tweets could be this captivating. They actually tell the story of the Egyptian uprising really well - after a few pages, once I had got used to it, I didn't give the Twitter format much thought and just raced through the book. At times it is very moving - you're drawn into Tahrir Square and when protesters are attacked and some are killed you really feel the emotion. As the pace quickens towards the end it's actually exciting and you can't wait for the dictator to fall.

Having read it, I think this is a wonderful - if partial - way to tell history. The uprising was powerful to watch on the news, but this book gave me a much deeper understanding of what was going on and the kinds of people involved, making it more powerful still. It's a record of humanity at its best.

Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD]
Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Serafanowicz

5.0 out of 5 stars look around you, 27 Mar 2004
just fantastic. this captures the feeling of those end of term lessons where your teacher would show you a video for a treat. imagine that, plus more or less constant laughter.
this dvd is basically full of brilliant puns, slapstick, and subtle visual gags. anyone who did science o levels or gcses between 1980 and 2000 needs to watch this. blinding.

The Celestine Prophecy
The Celestine Prophecy
by James Redfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense, 30 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book on the recommendation of my uncle, and I would like to take this chance to warn other people off it. It is the biggest collection of New Age rubbish I have ever read - vague, nebulous, hald-arsed ideas all based on stories of doubtful origin from ancient Peru (or something). This book is supposed to be life enriching, but I just found it boring, badly written, and imparting of no insight whatever. Steer well clear, and save your money for something good.

The English. A Portrait of a People
The English. A Portrait of a People
by Jeremy Paxman

1.0 out of 5 stars Facile, 1 May 2000
Paxman relies on platitudes and never really, I think, cuts into what it really means to be English. The book is easy to read; never a good sign, and I think his conlusions and observations are almost lazy in the way that they recycle what is already commonly thought.