ARRAY(0xb577551c)

Profile for Lucy B > Reviews

Content by Lucy B

Lucy B (UK)

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin
Price: 3.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series of books, but this title is a little bit of a let down., 1 Aug 2012
I have truly loved this series so far. Feast for crows was a bit of a plod along, but the books before it were utterly engaging, emotional and memorable.

In this book, I'm glad to see the return of a few absent characters, and while I still find some of the chapters richly satisfying, overall this book has turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax. I feel indifferent to a lot of the newly introduced POV characters, and utterly disinterested in the inconsequential list of names and ties that they associate with. I'm also becoming a little tired of the explicit, ugly sex scenes which I feel add almost nothing to the story, and have left me putting the book to one side out of distaste, even skipping pages.

Regardless, Martin has made me love the core characters so much that I will stick with them till the end. I'm going to read the second part of Dance With Dragons with an optimistic mind.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Xbox 360)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Xbox 360)
Price: 12.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful game., 2 Jan 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Slick, dark, emotional, exciting and very atmospheric. Really got under my skin. Good mix of gameplay elements to engage your interest, to build upon an individual gaming style, whether that's slow and methodical or casual and intense. Big replay value. I missed a lot first time around, and there are so many conversation possibilities and outcomes that it would be a pity to not explore them.

The motives of the game are very personal for the protagonist, but the scale gets bigger as you go along. The environments are heaving with detail and movement, especially the second city hub, Hengsha. The unbalanced, boxed in boss fights will annoy you, but it's an inconsequential blemish.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2012 10:07 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels like an integral part of the Kindle once fitted., 2 Jan 2012
You can't use a Kindle without a cover, and this case is sleek, attractive and supple. It fits snug, doesn't add any bulk and provides a protective barrier. The front cover is rigid yet lightweight, so it is like you are holding a hardback book.

While it is a very good quality product, it has a major flaw in that it doesn't fasten closed and that it is quite overpriced. Other cases I've sampled- while looking a little less attractive and feeling flimsier, most have a fastening which provides better protection. I've taken to travelling with it in a second sleeve to prevent it opening in my bag.

It's certainly worth getting if you want a very good quality cover and you are prepared to take extra precautions. A friend of mine wraps a piece of ribbon around hers to keep it closed, which is a nice personal touch.

Doctor Who: Dead of Winter
Doctor Who: Dead of Winter
by James Goss
Price: 6.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it., 17 Jun 2011
I adore Doctor Who, especially the recent two series, and I hadn't bothered to investigate the novels till very recently. I bought three of them in a deal to read during a week holiday; Hunters Moon, Night of the Humans and this book, Dead of Winter. I was immediately absorbed, I read all three during the week, and I enjoyed them all, but this was by far my favourite.

The narrative came across a little causally for my taste at first, but this feeling didn't last for very long at all. I like my narrative to be dark, complex, and thick with difficult observations and descriptions. But this is written from the character's POV so naturally and easily that it flows like water, and even though it is easily read, the observations are strange, intelligent and twist your expectations brilliantly. It is fun, exciting and and a great insight into Amy, the Doctor and Rory's inner monologue. The overall plot seemed a bit loose at times, but that is more than made up for in its character exploration and plot twists. I put down the book on the plane back home at 2am, smiling.

The Definitive Guide To Passing The Police Recruitment Process: A Handbook For Prospective Police Officers, Special Constables And Police Community Support Officers
by John McTaggart
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 5 April 2011
Well written, pleasant to read and full of intelligent insights. An honest and highly informative book, with a tidy breakdown of the entire recruitment process. Has been an invaluable part of my preparation for my upcoming attendance at an Assessment Centre.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2012 4:25 PM GMT