Profile for jglush > Reviews

Content by jglush

jglush (Bristol, Great Britain)

An Evening With P.D.Q. Bach
An Evening With P.D.Q. Bach

5.0 out of 5 stars Required listening. Hilarious., 1 Feb 2014
Anyone who loves and knows anything about music should own this. Hilarious and there's not much of this around for classical music fans.

Decleor Experience De L'Age Triple Action Eye and Lip Cream 30ml (SALON)
Decleor Experience De L'Age Triple Action Eye and Lip Cream 30ml (SALON)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 5 Jun 2012
I have used this product for years, and I do believe it works! In addition, it smells and feels lovely so it is a pleasure to use. I would recommend it 100% despite the cost. By the way - this size is an excellent buy.

DIGIFLEX 5 in 1 WIRELESS CORDLESS RF HEADPHONES HEADSET WITH MIC
DIGIFLEX 5 in 1 WIRELESS CORDLESS RF HEADPHONES HEADSET WITH MIC
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 10 Nov 2011
Does exactly what I wanted - I can watch my rubbish TV while my husband gets on with some work and we can be together. A little fiddly to sort out but couldn't be better for the price!

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Persephone Classics)
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Persephone Classics)
by Winifred Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 13 Oct 2009
This is one of those gems you would only ever hear of by word of mouth. It is utterly delightful. Don't be put off by the movie (which isn't that bad, but nothing like). Read it.

Bach: Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
Bach: Goldberg Variations, BWV 988

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise distilled, 10 May 2006
I love the Goldbergs, but never really heard them (and that includes the incomparable Gould) until I heard this. You will never tire of it. One problem: you cannot ignore it when it's on, so don't plan to listen while doing anything else!

Antec Notebook Cooler
Antec Notebook Cooler

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 11 April 2006
This is exactly what I wanted! It keeps the laptop cool for long periods of use without having it at an awkward angle. It plugs into a USB socket, but has a USB socket attached so you don't lose one. It's flat and fits conveniently into the laptop carrier. It's perfect - I just wish they'd have made it easier to find!

Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
by Haruki Murakami

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably poor - but is it the translation?, 29 Dec 2005
I read this book as my book group selection, or I would never have gone beyond the first 20 pages - and I like magical realism a lot. How does one judge a book read in translation? I can only say that it would not have surprised me to discover that the writer of this English version was 15 years old himself:
'We go by a number of slow-moving lorries on the road, and every time there's this whooshing of air as though somebody's soul is being yanked out.' 'Trees soar magically above us.' '...the large drops [of rain] strike me on the cheeks, the eyelids, chest, side, legs and bottom - the stinging pain like a religious initiation or something.' 'People who fill up their lack of imagination with heartless bits of straw, not even aware of what they're doing.' And I haven't even started on 'the boy named Crow' - who is never just Crow.
I'm afraid the writing made me so angry, that I couldn't even begin to think about the metaphoric meaning of it all.
I have no idea who wrote those 5-star reviews. I suppose I have to accept the possibility that I have just missed the point entirely, but I find it hard to believe. Has anyone out there read it in Japanese?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2010 12:16 PM GMT